It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook "Mass identity suicide": 11 million users from US and UK delete their accounts!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Wide-Eyes
reply to post by cheesy

I just deactivated my facebook. Make it 2million and 1 UK users...
edit on 18-9-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

one from indonesia!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

(Reuters) - Facebook Inc CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Wednesday said revelations about U.S. government surveillance hurt users' trust in Internet companies and that knowing more about the programs would help relieve some of the public concerns.

where have you been Mr.Zuckerberg?? vacation? they destroy your Company destroy your hope and goal..

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
for you facebook user..
Don't post photos of your kids online!
www.slate.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

I deleted my own account long ago when I could no longer see the point of having it

Good Point Ms.EllaMarina!
11 million is the Begining of i billion..trust me..

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
The exodus is way overdue. It worked turning anonymity on the net for the most part, into a data dump for not just the NSA but affecting personal and professional life by employers and companies. Reveling of NSA monitoring helps perhaps. A newer study even concluded that regular FB users are depressed from using the site, feeling they cannot compete with others seemingly positive lives and or competitive they read and see. People are learning that now even on a social site that displays their online activity as most sites, etc., link back to the site, that they will be judged professionally when seeking a job to contact of family and friends by debt credit companies. They can have another page, one official name linked one and one for friends but that would be more of a hassle.

Personally I stopped updating with the social networks(minus ATS if you consider it that) prior to FB, didn't like it when I first used it anyway, so did not continue as it expected, promoted, you to share even more information. I learned that using a nickname is not full proof for privacy, because people that know you will know you by your pictures anyway-if you share those, considering you location is shared and your association with people that they know. I'm tempted a lot to go ahead with using it because of pressure from friends and family as they all use these, it's a challenge, and I know they are upset. Also, my opinion, communication on the interwebs was better prior, such as with IMs, chats, and message boards. With that am happy to see other places used more now, such as Reddit(cautious as it's being "monitored" and restricted with the info flow).

There's the positive side of spreading news information, disaster warning, more, by social networking, that should be utilized more so.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed

EllaMarina
Without Facebook, so many sad people would have to phone 20 people every morning just to tell them that they had oatmeal for breakfast.

like !!

except I..
i use facebook for only keep my old friend,keep comunication with them..my elementary,junior high,senior,collage friend

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

dreamingawake
The exodus is way overdue. It worked turning anonymity on the net for the most part, into a data dump for not just the NSA but affecting personal and professional life by employers and companies. Reveling of NSA monitoring helps perhaps. A newer study even concluded that regular FB users are depressed from using the site, feeling they cannot compete with others seemingly positive lives and or competitive they read and see. People are learning that now even on a social site that displays their online activity as most sites, etc., link back to the site, that they will be judged professionally when seeking a job to contact of family and friends by debt credit companies. They can have another page, one official name linked one and one for friends but that would be more of a hassle.

Personally I stopped updating with the social networks(minus ATS if you consider it that) prior to FB, didn't like it when I first used it anyway, so did not continue as it expected, promoted, you to share even more information. I learned that using a nickname is not full proof for privacy, because people that know you will know you by your pictures anyway-if you share those, considering you location is shared and your association with people that they know. I'm tempted a lot to go ahead with using it because of pressure from friends and family as they all use these, it's a challenge, and I know they are upset. Also, my opinion, communication on the interwebs was better prior, such as with IMs, chats, and message boards. With that am happy to see other places used more now, such as Reddit(cautious as it's being "monitored" and restricted with the info flow).

There's the positive side of spreading news information, disaster warning, more, by social networking, that should be utilized more so.

Tq Mr.dreamingawake! yes there will always be positive and negative aspects of all things ..Good point!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I just made a Facebook account for the first time earlier this year out of networking necessity; there were too many people I needed to be in contact with who used no other form of remote communication.

Then I had a face to face chat with Inna Shevchenko of Femen and made a FB post about that chat. A few days later, my account is locked, and following the steps to unlock it accomplish nothing.

I think this is no coincidence...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
"You have the right to remain silent, everything you've ever said, can and WILL be used against you in a court of law."

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I deleted my account in May.

I never trusted it, and rarely used it. I would post stuff like... "my sister-in-law is a drunken whore" ...or... "Facebook is a nosey person's wet dream"... I finally lost all contacts and then deleted it.

It was fun while it lasted, I guess.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I would love to be able to delete my facebook unfortunately its just far too handy for me in terms of networking in the type of business in involved in.

That being said, the information I release on there would be of no interest to anyone except the friends I have on it.

I came to terms with the fact that my whole life is being watched and if I were to ever need to be found, it'll happen, with or without Facebook. So for now, I stay on it.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
In this new turn of the page of our technological achievements, I know people who communicate by placing pieces of paper in baggies, and putting them under agreed rocks in the park. Well, it is more secure than money under the mattress.... and I will bet there is a lot of that going on as well.

We have created Orwell's beast that pays us, feeds us and insures us, but it does not care about us, and is continually finding ways to throw us under a bus.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

I'm not deleting my Facebook, I use my Facebook for much of my activism and networking.

I'm very politically active here in Cincinnati and I use Facebook as a tool for much of my networking and meetings in group discussions.

Also it's an excellent way to wake people the hell up on issues that they simply refuse to normally acknowledge.

Besides the NSA has been gathering our data for the past 10 years or so, so really why on earth would you now be worried about deleting your Facebook? Don't give them the satisfaction, live your life the way you want, screw em.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   

ignorant_ape
reply to post by cheesy

I am keeping my FB account - and to be blunt - I don't really care that the NSA now know I was mountaineering last weekend - what I want to stay private - goes on off line

people who complain about " face book privacy " - should remember that posting is optional and at the users discression - and some people post far too much information

So true, things like I have just taken my dog for a s ^ % " , and here is a picture of my meal in a restaurant

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I've never signed up to Facebook. No twitter, Instagram.
I hope it puts it out of business so I don't have to hear "get on FB" anymore. It's annoying.

Another one will come along to replace it claiming they don't spy on you. People will join.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I saw a documentary years ago about the NSA after september 11. Apparently Cheney gave them full access to monitor all internet traffic in the US. I saw the Pacific link in San Francisco where they put in a super computer to monitor all traffic in and out looking for key phrases. There is too much traffic to monitor by people it's done with super computers. As for FB just put on there what you're comfortable with. I have one but don't put much on there and don't look at it much. I think some of us already knew the internet is open slather. No one cares about your holiday pics. Bit of an over reaction I think.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   

liveandlearn
I signed up for facebook to play a game at my daughter's request. I was careful not to reveal anything that can't be found easily, name, place of birth and current location.

I am amazed at a few people who continue to post their political rants on fb. I removed my 'like' of Ron Paul last year because of the NSA concern and only post an occasional reply or like to family and dance friends. I keep the account to play my one game even though I play on the game site I must have a fb account to do so.

Really interesting how many people have dropped out...good on them.

that's the exact opposite of me. the only reason I ever log into my account is to post videos or news links I find here.. and to like things like Ron Paul. I figure if I am not doing anything that actively I may as well spread info and cause them to burn up some time watching me...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

They take you into a back room. And when they're done with you you'll only be linked into all that but you'll look like Borg and act like one too, just you wait

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   

spartacus699
reply to post by Eryiedes

They take you into a back room. And when they're done with you you'll only be linked into all that but you'll look like Borg and act like one too, just you wait

Heheheheh...it's starting to look that way isn't it.
Well, I'm not going quietly. That's for damn sure.
I'm gonna sing 'em a lullaby and put 'em to sleep just like Data did.

-Peace be with you-
edit on 19-9-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I disabled my Facebook account too. Not because of the NSA, but because after my breakdown I was a bit concerned my business would get out amongst my friends and family and I didn't want that.

I wouldn't care if the NSA knew my business. If they collated all the bits and pieces I have written about the alien Doctors, then be my guest!?!? They know where they are, who they are and most importantly they must know by now I am not lying! As if? lol Even Stephen King couldn't do better than this?
The Police know... Ohh yess!!!

... and I have always had a soft spot for Ahmadinejad!

As for fb .. I think it's best left for the kids and the socially excluded in this society. They can brag, gossip and talk nonsense all day if they want as long as it doesn't include me.

hx

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join