It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI: Chicago passes New York as murder capital of U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Well it finally happened.

Congratulations Chicago !!

And hats off bow down to Mayor Rahm Emanuel too !!

Great job on containing guns !!

But maybe it's not all that bad ?

The city of Chicago registered more homicides than any city in the nation in 2012, surpassing even New York — despite the fact that the Second City has only one third as many residents as the Big Apple.

In new crime statistics released Monday, the Federal Bureau of Investigation reported 500 murders in Chicago in 2012, up sharply from the 431 recorded in 2011. New York reported 419 murders last year, compared with 515 in 2011.

But residents of Chicago and New York were much less likely to be victims of a homicide than residents of Flint, Mich. Sixty-three murders occurred in 2012 in Flint, a city of 101,632, meaning one in every 1,613 city residents were homicide victims. Detroit, which experienced 386 homicides in 2012, was almost as unsafe; that’s enough murders to account for one in every 1,832 residents.

Murder Laws Always Work

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Keep up the good work mayor. It's working. Enact even tougher gun laws. The thugs are getting giddy.

edit on 9/18/2013 by Klassified because: edit

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
So Detroit is still in the top four? And is higher per capita? We are trying to maintain an image and with the population decline it is getting tougher every day.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Just imagine the next New York Times front page:

"Bloomberg Gun Initiatives Working - New York drops on list of Gun Violence"

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
This is what happens when people vote for an image and don't give a hoot about the facts about a man or what anything says to his character. Rahmbo took the job as a jump off to higher things. If anything else? Chief of Staff to the President down to Mayor of even a city like Chicago is quite a step down.

I don't think he's done much of anything that wasn't politically calculated to his own benefit since he took office up there ...and he's only 500 miles from my little town. Entirely too close with modern interstates. He can keep his crime and Chicago deserves him after helping him and his Boss get where they are today.

* No offense to the good people in Chicago. All 5 or 6 of ya!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Can we just ship Chicago to the UK?

They seem to be able to handle this sort of thing.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
But but... All that gun control...

Is it possible that it doesn't work?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Imagine what the country would look like if the nation had the same gun control laws as Chicago.

Vote in more progressives and we might find out!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
dbbl
edit on 18-9-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Gun free zones sure seem to be working for you there Rahm.

Chicago is the nation's death-by-gunshot capital. The mayor of Chicago's solution to the problem is to create more "gun-free zones." To even the casual observer the commonality among all the tragedies described above is clear ---"gun-free zones." It seems the only place we see people getting shot up is in "gun-free zones", so Mr. Mayor please explain, why in the world would we want more of them?

www.americanthinker.com...

What is the real agenda here? Is there one or is it simply sheer incompetence and not giving a sh#^?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

xuenchen

I realize you have to Push your Agenda, I mean , Only the Pro-Gun Crowd could get all Giddy with Joy , while discussing the Deaths of 500 Americans.

But why not Inject a little Context , Chicago has probably the Largest Gang Enrollment in the US.
The Vast Majority of these Deaths are Gang on Gang Related.
Arming Ma and Pa arent going to change these Numbers at all.
But dont let a little thing like the Truth get in your way.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

benrl
dbbl

That stands for double barrel where I'm from so yes I agree. Every law abiding citizen in Chicago (the 5 or 6 Beezzer mentioned) should be issued new dbbl shotguns to protect themselves from crime.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

I realize you have to Push your Agenda, I mean , Only the Pro-Gun Crowd could get all Giddy with Joy , while discussing the Deaths of 500 Americans.

You just built a straw man, and tore him down in one sentence. Nicely done.
Only the anti-gun crowd could get all giddy with joy, while discussing the death of the constitution, and the birth of unbridled tyranny under the guise of democracy.

Chicago has probably the Largest Gang Enrollment in the US.

So then, the strict gun laws didn't protect gang members, or their victims. Good point.

You're right. Because Ma and Pa don't belong to a gang, and aren't looking for a gun fight. They just want the right to defend themselves, and their children when necessary. Something the police are not bound to do.

But don't let a little thing like the constitution get in your way.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

But why not Inject a little Context , Chicago has probably the Largest Gang Enrollment in the US.

Statistics would help your argument.

And besides, the Illinois State Legislature (ultra Liberal) recently passed a law to allow CCW (even in the City).

It takes effect next year.

They think it will help.

CBS Local July 9, 2013

CHICAGO (CBS) — In an historic move, lawmakers in Springfield over-rode Governor Pat Quinn’s objections to meet tonight’s midnight federal deadline to enact concealed-carry.

The law allows concealed weapons in the home, vehicle, restaurants, private property, and churches, but forbids them in schools, government buildings, taverns, mass transit, and in areas with posted signs forbidding them.

Chicago Concealed-Carry Advocates Welcome New Law

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Should the nation embrace the same gun control strategy as Chicago?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Tw0Sides

xuenchen

Both side have an agenda to push, the Anti-gun crowd and the Gun crowd.

The only difference IS not the exploitation of tragedy, that is something the ANTI-gun crowd has in spades.

THE DIFFERENCE is the Gun crowd is Backed by their RIGHTS as an american, period.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

beezzer

Should the nation embrace the same gun control strategy as Chicago?

Of course, naturally. That's how some people want the nation to be run, because Darnit! It's the right thing to do!

edit on 19-9-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Chicago has a handgun ban so I know this is not true! Democrats tell me so.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Tw0Sides

xuenchen

The gun crime is the reason they took the guns away from ma and pa. So if it is as you suggest, the only thing the gun ban does is remove guns from ma and pa, good citizens not engaging in criminal activity, and leaving gang members that will use guns any way well armed.

So why is a handgun ban necessary, or even wanted in that situation? Sounds like an agenda ...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Interesting, because all the charts I have seen seem to indicate that New York City has not been the top city for murder in a long time.

Not last year, not 2011, not in previous years, when actual data is evaluated. That it happens to be number 2 in this study doesn't mean it's always been at the top, which is misleading. Plenty of more dangerous cities for murder.

I don't have a whole lot of time this morning, but a quick search shows this article that lists the top 10 cities for murder, and NYC isn't even among them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join