It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mad about Guns: America's Deadly Weapons Obsession

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Mods I put this here rather than US Political Madness or the Posse forums as the focus of this article seems to be more a lamentation from the global elites. Please move if needed.

So now what? The Germans are ragging on the US because of our guns? WTH, who do these people think they are. Yeah the Navy Yard shooting is bad. When crazy people do crazy stuff it usually is bad but people who aren't connected to the issues should just butt out.

Mad about Guns: America's Deadly Weapons Obsession

The tragic shooting in Washington feels all too much like deja vu. But President Barack Obama and his fellow Democrats no longer even attempt to take on the real issue: America's unhindered gun mania.

Barack Obama didn't make much of an effort. The United States president could only find it in himself to offer a few obligatory words after the killing spree in Washington

So if Obama isn't going to "do" anything Germany is going to put their 2 cents in with a slam.

The problem is that nothing can uproot the underlying phenomenon: America's fascination with firearms as the ultimate form of conflict resolution. It is a historical and long-legitimized fascination that was once tied to basic survival and has since been turned into a profitable business by Hollywood and the gun industry.

So the problem is our fascination with guns? Not maybe drug deranged people who have an axe to grind with society? Not buying it. I love guns and don't shoot people.

Once again, Washington looks away. Obama has gambled away his political capital anyway.

Any wise thoughts on gun violence? No chance. Even Obama's spokesman Jay Carney admits: "That's the world that we live in."

Yes this is the world we live in, crazy people sometimes do bad stuff and busybodies always stick their noses in to remind us it's our fault.

But look at this the author (Marc Pitzke) of this editorial is a US correspondent in New York, wonder if he knows Piers Morgan? If you Google this guy you can see some of his other unbiased hit pieces on conservatives (for anyone with the stomach.)

Leftwing MSM banks one off Germany for the... miss!
edit on 18-9-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Well its only fair, we Americans bitch about the European Union, and German economic policy all the time...

Hey wait a sec, we don't...

So yea, they can STFU and mind their own business.

ETA:

And if they Germans weren't so eager for registration and confiscation we wouldn't of had WW2...

In 1919, the German government passed the Regulations on Weapons Ownership, which declared that "all firearms, as well as all kinds of firearms ammunition, are to be surrendered immediately."[2] Under the regulations, anyone found in possession of a firearm or ammunition was subject to five years' imprisonment and a fine of 100,000 marks.

Damn guess they should of kept them.
edit on 18-9-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I think they have issues with their german tourists being gunned down while on vacation in the united states.
I recall a couple occasions in the news when germans were killed while here in Miami.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

grey580
reply to post by Bassago

I think they have issues with their german tourists being gunned down while on vacation in the united states.
I recall a couple occasions in the news when germans were killed while here in Miami.

Well theres the problem, someone should of told them Don't go to Florida... nobody should go to florida...

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Maybe but I believe in light of who this journalist is this was just a sly article from the MSM. After all it's the Germans saying it right? No wait the story came from New York, just another wild shot from the "progressives" who are now crying lamentations that Harry Reid "doesn't have the votes" to pass more restrictive laws about guns.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by grey580

Maybe but I believe in light of who this journalist is this was just a sly article from the MSM. After all it's the Germans saying it right? No wait the story came from New York, just another wild shot from the "progressives" who are now crying lamentations that Harry Reid "doesn't have the votes" to pass more restrictive laws about guns.

The only thing talk about Gun Control accomplishes is record gun sales.

Let these idiots keep talking, they are the best gun salesmen ever.

ETA: Whats the First thing the US government does when faces with Tyranny? Send guns, from the FP-45 liberator shipped into france - To the syrian "rebels", WE send guns to the PEOPLE when ever we fight Tyranny...

So why is the US so keen to take its Citizens guns?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

We have enough numb skulls attacking the Constitution in our own country. We don't need a bunch of know it all Europeans telling us how to run things. I don't like to paint issues as liberal or conservative, but the political left needs to start dealing with facts about who is doing these shootings instead of reaching for the emotional hyperbole and attacking the rights of law-abiding citizens.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Metallicus
reply to post by Bassago

We have enough numb skulls attacking the Constitution in our own country. We don't need a bunch of know it all Europeans telling us how to run things. I don't like to paint issues as liberal or conservative, but the political left needs to start dealing with facts about who is doing these shootings instead of reaching for the emotional hyperbole and attacking the rights of law-abiding citizens.

Mental Health Care, which is directly tied to normal Health Care, which is a political hand grenade apparently so NOOOO one wants to touch on the fact we need a Mental Health system equipped to deal with these issues and it doesn't exist, AND nothing they are doing will create that.

Crazy people with guns is a convenient excuse to get rid of guns, focus on the weapon and not the root cause.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

benrl
Well its only fair, we Americans bitch about the European Union, and German economic policy all the time...

Hey wait a sec, we don't...

ETA:

And if they Germans weren't so eager for registration and confiscation we wouldn't of had WW2...

In 1919, the German government passed the Regulations on Weapons Ownership, which declared that "all firearms, as well as all kinds of firearms ammunition, are to be surrendered immediately."[2] Under the regulations, anyone found in possession of a firearm or ammunition was subject to five years' imprisonment and a fine of 100,000 marks.

Damn guess they should of kept them.

I have to agree I personally don't see where it anyone's business in Germany or any other country about our "Right " to bear arms.

I nor most Americans don't give a flying %*&@ about other countries laws or or policies.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

SecretWeapon

I have to agree I personally don't see where it anyone's business in Germany or any other country about our "Right " to bear arms.

I nor most Americans don't give a flying %*&@ about other countries laws or or policies.

Give it time and we will get Europeans in here telling us how to interpret the constitution...

link   
reply to post by Bassago

Actually, I kinda like it. It has that discouraged "voice crying in the wilderness" feeling to it.

Or more like a kid I saw throwing a grand mal fit in a grocery store. He lay down on his back screaming and pounding the floor with his little fists and the heels of his feet. Followed his folks into the next aisle and threw himself to the floor and repeated the same act. After the third aisle he gave it up. (Not that I expect that writer to ever give it up.)

Did you see the thread the other day with the high-school textbook paraphrasing the 2nd Amendment? ("The people have a right to keep and bear arms in a state militia.") That's where the real danger is. TPTB's plan is (and has been) to capture and warp the minds of the kids through forced "education"; they've given up on the current adult generations....

Edit: Oh, that was Benri. Hey, Benri. You should advertise that thread....
Oh! And Bassago was there too! Never mind. Jeez.....

edit on 9/18/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/18/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Bassago

There is a clash of culture.

The entire continent of europe was divided among monarchies long, long ago The resources were claimed.

A primary concern of the foundation of America was that our forefathers, in England, were not given as free a rein on how they could hunt, and what they could hunt, to eat. Moreover, weapons were not allowed, which allowed for various authority figures to victimize people.

In short, Europeans are accustomed to being disarmed. Americans, on the other hand, are not. It is a key cultural difference between us and them.

So what? I am offended by the hairy legs of their women. We should all learn to just deal with it.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

benrl

Mental Health Care, which is directly tied to normal Health Care, which is a political hand grenade apparently so NOOOO one wants to touch on the fact we need a Mental Health system equipped to deal with these issues and it doesn't exist, AND nothing they are doing will create that.

Crazy people with guns is a convenient excuse to get rid of guns, focus on the weapon and not the root cause.

Yeah, if old Harry Reid thinks he doesn't have the votes now wait until he tries to take on big pharma / mental health. This is a shame too, many people at one time or another need help but if they get labeled "mentally ill" they lose their rights forever? People do recover, we need a way to find the ones who are dangerous. Unfortunately we can't trust those who make the decisions.

Would you go into a mental health clinic for treatment if you knew it would cost you your 2nd amendment rights? I know I wouldn't.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Bassago

There is a clash of culture.

The entire continent of europe was divided among monarchies long, long ago The resources were claimed.

A primary concern of the foundation of America was that our forefathers, in England, were not given as free a rein on how they could hunt, and what they could hunt, to eat. Moreover, weapons were not allowed, which allowed for various authority figures to victimize people.

In short, Europeans are accustomed to being disarmed. Americans, on the other hand, are not. It is a key cultural difference between us and them.

So what? I am offended by the hairy legs of their women. We should all learn to just deal with it.

Yep, seems to be a Uniquely american attitude when the Man treats you unfairly and takes away your recourse we respond with lead in various calibers.

Tyrants fear free armed populace.

You see this gap most with the thought America will be better with out guns, What they don't get is that America's Actions abroad come from the Tempered fear of an armed populous.

Syria would be a glass crater if the Citizenry where not Armed and america's government didn't fear the peoples response.

As is that line is getting thin and broken, Imagine a Disarmed America on the world stage.

We would be a bigger monster than we are, as is look how hard they try to sell war, with out guns they wouldn't need to.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

benrl

Give it time and we will get Europeans in here telling us how to interpret the constitution...

Piers Morgan
Piers Morgan
Piers Morgan

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Bassago

Ehhhhh? ...not all European countries have a culture where hairy women reign!
lol

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Bassago
So now what? The Germans are ragging on the US because of our guns? WTH, who do these people think they are. Yeah the Navy Yard shooting is bad. When crazy people do crazy stuff it usually is bad but people who aren't connected to the issues should just butt out.

What did the Germans get wrong about this?
Please remember German does not = Nazi. Germans are people like us so I am curious why they are so wrong.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

1104light

Bassago

What did the Germans get wrong about this?
Please remember German does not = Nazi. Germans are people like us so I am curious why they are so wrong.

Nazi's... ?? where did that come from. Here's what I mean:
Germany . keep . nose . out . none . of . your . business

This was an "editorial" not a news piece.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Not much more to say about it than that.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The last time Germany loved it when the population didn't have guns they tried to take over the world....

On a serious side I think they are jealous...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join