It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feel like drinking a Coke? Not so fast. Here's what happens...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I found this article interesting. Don't think I'll be drinking one anytime soon.

When somebody drinks a Coke watch what happens…

In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
>60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
>60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
>60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

So there you have it, an avalanche of destruction in a single can. Imagine drinking this day after day, week after week. Stick to water, real juice from fresh squeezed fruit, and tea without sweetener.

For the full article go here:
nutritionresearchcenter.org...
edit on 18-9-2013 by RomaSempre because: Intro

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I have been drinking 2l coke daily for about 10 years, I rarely drink water. I should be dead then.

Im not saying coke or any other fizzy drink isnt bad for you, I know it is, but I think Im addicted.

Help.
edit on 20139America/Chicago09pm9pmWed, 18 Sep 2013 15:15:54 -05000913 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

do you drink regular or diet???? my roommate is addicted to diet pepsi with aspartame

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

research100

do you drink regular or diet???? my roommate is addicted to diet pepsi with aspartame

regular, the sugar variety. I wouldnt touch the diet stuff.
I would rather not have the holes in the brain, I probably have type 2 diabetes though. I wouldnt be surprised.
Im definitely not overweight though, so thats a bonus.
But recently I do suffer a lot from acid reflux and heartburn, I know its the coke, I would like to stop drinking it, which is how I know Im addicted to the sugar.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I’m addicted to the caffeine rush in energy drinks…..errrrrrr

Its hard to get off. I did it once for 2 month and i felt great, but that was after the 2 weeks of headaces.

I get up at 4:20am for work, its hard not to have a pick me up.
edit on 18-9-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Ive never had a 'stimulant' type reaction to sodas.

I used to eat a fair bit of sugar, candy, sweets and chocolate, my teeth took more of a hit than my nervous system. I dont miss it if i dont have it, i am extremely sensitive to caffeine though yet again coca cola and sodas do nothing where a cup of coffee makes me twitchy and awake for HOURS.

I guess thats why ive never understood this hyperactive sugar thing, I wasnt fat as a child and im not as an adult. I guess im just lucky or something.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

camaro68ss
I’m addicted to the caffeine rush in energy drinks…..errrrrrr

Its hard to get off. I did it once for 2 month and i felt great, but that was after the 2 weeks of headaces.

I get up at 4:20am for work, its hard not to have a pick me up.
edit on 18-9-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

I can hear that, a few years ago when I was heavily into call of duty, i would be up late and up early and needed the energy from the concentrated energy drinks just to keep going.
I started to get sharp headaches in the side of my head.
I stopped gaming and now Im up late on websites and up early, I just get on with it, without the energy drinks. But then I do still drink the caffeine filled coke.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Help.

One thing that helped me kick the sodas was never having it in my house/fridge. I found the "out of sight out of mind" thing worked some. Then, after a few weeks going without, when I did taste one it was soooo sweet, that I could literally feel it's shock value.
Need a lift still, I like these in moderation.Guayaki
Here are 22 more reasons to give you strength.

www.wisebread.com...
More food for thought(as opposed to soda for thought

www.ksl.com...
Be strong friend
edit on 18-9-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

you should never stop caffeine cold turkey, it will give anyone who does ,a headache

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

speculativeoptimist

Help.

One thing that helped me kick the sodas was never having it in my house/fridge. I found the "out of sight out of mind" thing worked some. Then, after a few weeks going without, when I did taste one it was soooo sweet, that I could literally feel it's shock value.
Here are 22 more reasons to give you strength.

www.wisebread.com...
More food for thought(as opposed to soda for thought

www.ksl.com...
Be strong friend

Thanks, to both you and the op.
From tomorrow Im going to stop drinking it. I have an addictive personality it will probably be a struggle but every climb begins with the first step. After I quit the coke, next stop tobacco.
I really do have some self destructive tendencies. The first step of dealing with mental issues.... recognition.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

That's what coffee or Guayaki is for. But yes I agree on stopping cold turkey, even though the shock to the system will only last a few days

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

speculativeoptimist
reply to post by research100

That's what coffee or Guayaki is for. But yes I agree on stopping cold turkey, even though the shock to the system will only last a few days

I have gone cold turkey with substances I dare not mention.
I know its possible, Im not totally useless, so that gives me hope.
When god was giving out will power I thought he said pill power. And with what I knew about pharmaceuticals, I ran a mile.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

When god was giving out will power I thought he said pill power.

Now that is too damn funny, but yea you know what it takes then.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RomaSempre

I'm gonna send this to all the coke drinkers. Thanks!

I don't know how anybody can stand to even drink this crap. I can see its addicting though.
I wouldn't buy any soda pops when my kids lived at home, so of course if they got around other people, they got to have some. My son became addicted to it then, and began complaining I'm mean or weird for not buying it. Pissed me off. You can't control your own child when they go to homes that don't care about nutrition.

I bought it at christmas, once i could afford it, for other people visiting because if you don't have any coke in your house your not normal. I couldn't stand listening to all these coke whiners.

It's far too sweet for me. It's like chugging pure sugar.
I cannot believe how its so popular. It boggles my mind.

Also isn't coke a corrosive?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I drink about 128 ounces in a day. That's 12 of them haha. And im steady 155 I lose weight faster than gaining it. So no you don't get fat from soda. You get fat for shoving your mouth with food every twenty minutes.

The only thing soda will do is raise my blood pressure. I've never broken a bone from the so called calcium purge and ill still drink them.

But I drink mountain dew not coke.
edit on 18-9-2013 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

how old are you? my mom worked with a young lady that only drank soda pop all day, smoked, and lived a sedentary life. At one point i think she had a stroke or heart attack or something but survived miraculously....but didnt change her lifestyle and died a few years later before the age of 40.

theres no doubt that everyone has a different constitution....some people are just genetically superior as far as their bodies ability to handle punishment, excess and general bad conditions. Some people get lung cancer from NOT smoking, some smoke until they die at 90 with no problems. What one person can get away with for years with no symptoms others can almost have an immediate reaction.

lesson to me is, find what works for you and go with that in moderation and with intelligent observation. I quit smoking about a year ago, quit drinking two beers every night, quit eating a pint of hagen daaz every few days and quit drinking soda pop almost completely.....and guess what....i feel worse now than i did then and its been over a year. The body is a very strange thing....

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Thank christ all I ever drank was alcohol. I think it saved my life. given all this bad news.

Yep, alcohol. None of this evil stuff, like sodas and sugary drinks. I heard even a few grains of sugar can kill you!!!! So said someone on the internet.

10 teaspoons of sugar.. well, I used to eat fairy floss at the royal show as a kid... basically sugar spun into a big whopping fuzzy delicious pink fluffy bunch and whacked on a stick. I didn't die or vomit from the intense sweetness. I bought more. I had no one to advocate for my safety. I should sue the royal agricultural society of western australia.

Hmm.. caffeine.. I tell ya.. evil stuff. Makes grown men beat up old ladies as they rush to get to the machine for their hit. It's insanity en masse. You can find them, with their tongues stick up the spout (of the coffee machines, not the old lady) and licking the drips off the side of the dispenser. God damn addicts, with their fags dangling from their lips, eyes squinting, teeth all brown and gooey from the caked on bean residue.

I hear as soon as the drug hits you, you turn into a delinquent criminal mastermind and seek nothing but donuts. Or anzac cookies. I admit, anzac cookies were my only real vice back when I was unaware of the dangers of caffeine and sugar and machines that sell you it on the sly.. "Pssst, hey bud.. got $2.50? I got what you need buddy... come on, just one.. one cookie.." - if only someone had told me

Yes, that rush is something to behold. It's a delirium like no other.

What we need is a law. We have room for more. A law to make anyone who uses sugar or caffeine, a criminal. Lock them up for their own protection. In the big house. With bubba and jona the pious rapist. He won't treat you bad. In with the vermin, you vermin. Teach you to take things that I have decided are bad for you.

And if they start with any illicit cane farms, then the death penalty. Peddling their evil grains of sin.

Damn sugar and caffeine addicts, the lot of you...

*shut up and get my coffee*

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I was too. I gave up drinking soft drinks of all kinds about two years ago and I haven't felt this good in my life. I dropped about 15 pounds in about a month and another 10 a month later. If you can give it up I would highly recommend it.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

TheLotLizard

The only thing soda will do is raise my blood pressure. I've never broken a bone from the so called calcium purge and ill still drink them.

Yes good point, I have been into martial arts for a long time, I used to condition my fists by punching anything and everything, the harder the better.
I have never broken a bone. But there is a history of high blood pressure in my family, its actually what killed my mother. My sister suffers with high blood pressure. I "think" Im okay on that front though.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

instigatah

how old are you? my mom worked with a young lady that only drank soda pop all day, smoked, and lived a sedentary life. At one point i think she had a stroke or heart attack or something but survived miraculously....but didnt change her lifestyle and died a few years later before the age of 40.

theres no doubt that everyone has a different constitution....some people are just genetically superior as far as their bodies ability to handle punishment, excess and general bad conditions. Some people get lung cancer from NOT smoking, some smoke until they die at 90 with no problems. What one person can get away with for years with no symptoms others can almost have an immediate reaction.

lesson to me is, find what works for you and go with that in moderation and with intelligent observation. I quit smoking about a year ago, quit drinking two beers every night, quit eating a pint of hagen daaz every few days and quit drinking soda pop almost completely.....and guess what....i feel worse now than i did then and its been over a year. The body is a very strange thing....

Haha, yes its a strange thing indeed.

Im 38, I have always figured that Id rather have a life I enjoyed, even if my life was shorter, than a long life with no vices and having to depend on the care of people I dont trust to look after pets let alone people, and the risk of dementia.
The standards of care for our elders these days is shocking, I really dont want to be in that position. Maybe that is the "cause" of my self destructive personality.
Dont let me get started on pension either. By the time I reach pension age it will probably be abolished. Not that I ever have money left to put into a pension anyway.
edit on 20139America/Chicago09pm9pmWed, 18 Sep 2013 16:30:45 -05000913 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join