It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything you need to know: Comet ISON in 2013

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Hi guys I've been waiting for this

This site gives all the info you may want to know about ISON

Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) has been the most talked-about comet of 2013. When discovered in late 2012, it was said to have the potential to become a striking object visible to the eye alone around the time of its perihelion – or closest point to the sun – on November 28, 2013. People started saying Comet ISON and comet of the century in the same sentence. In June and July 2013, Comet ISON was behind the sun as seen from Earth, but when it was recovered in early August, it wasn’t as bright as hoped. What will happen with Comet ISON in the remaining months of 2013? Comets are notoriously unpredictable, but it’s safe to say that many are waiting to see if Comet ISON will sizzle … or fizzle.

Linky

ISON as of Dec 18th 2013

Hope that helps to give some insight to us less gifted star gazers

Cody

edit on 18/9/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
just saw a report saying ISON has changed it's orbit? didnt follow it up tho.. about to do so now

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

What is new here with Ison we didn't know before?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

Excuse me for trying help

For me ? Quite a lot so I thought I'd share

Cody

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
here it is

www.eutimes.net...

juicy!

______beforeitsnews/alternative/2013/09/isons-orbit-changing-2765142.html

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by filledcup

Careful there citing beforeit'snews in your post

Before it's news is no longer allowed as a source on ATS

Just a heads up

Cody

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by filledcup

beforeitsnews is no longer a credible source here. If you may, can you find another source for this information for the reference of the rest of the community?

Also, I'm quite excited for ISON. I definitely hope it sizzles and does not fizzle (unless it somehow comes on a collision course, then by all means, fizzle away
) .

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I already posted this here: www.abovetopsecret.com... but fair game

That ISON has changed its orbit is a hoax: astroblogger.blogspot.com.au...

You may have seen an article circulating through the internet in various venues. It claims that the Russian Federal Space Agency ROSCOSMOS has reported that "Comet C/2012 S1 has made a number of “unexplained orbital adjustments” around the planet Mars seemingly to better align itself with the Red planets strange moon Phobos."

This is a hoax. Comet C/2012 S1 ISON is not orbiting Mars, it will reach Mars on October 1, where it will pass 20 Earth-Moon distances away from the Red Planet, and well away from Phobos. Also the 132 day "standstill" refers to its slow increase in brightness, not any change in orbit. The comet is not much dimmer than expected, and is not under intelligent control (this was another hoax purportedly from Russia that tuned up with comet Elenin)

The author of the article, Sorcha Faal, is a well known hoaxer.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

wildespace
I already posted this here: www.abovetopsecret.com... but fair game

That ISON has changed its orbit is a hoax: astroblogger.blogspot.com.au...

You may have seen an article circulating through the internet in various venues. It claims that the Russian Federal Space Agency ROSCOSMOS has reported that "Comet C/2012 S1 has made a number of “unexplained orbital adjustments” around the planet Mars seemingly to better align itself with the Red planets strange moon Phobos."

This is a hoax. Comet C/2012 S1 ISON is not orbiting Mars, it will reach Mars on October 1, where it will pass 20 Earth-Moon distances away from the Red Planet, and well away from Phobos. Also the 132 day "standstill" refers to its slow increase in brightness, not any change in orbit. The comet is not much dimmer than expected, and is not under intelligent control (this was another hoax purportedly from Russia that tuned up with comet Elenin)

The author of the article, Sorcha Faal, is a well known hoaxer.

posted because the source was eutimes. i guess eutimes isnt reliable either. really just started looking into it.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Why is Before its News banned as a source?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I want to underline this so no one misses it. The orbit change to Mars moon phobos is made up by Sorcha Faal, one of the best known hoaxers on the internet. If you see talk about this on any site on the web, please, do them a favor by telling them that Sorcha Faal is behind the claim.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I think the only issue with ISON is that it may not be nearly as bright as once predicted. Hope that's not the case after failing to see PANstarrs earlier this year. Been a few years since we had a good naked eye comet.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

filledcup
here it is

www.eutimes.net...

juicy!

______beforeitsnews/alternative/2013/09/isons-orbit-changing-2765142.html

There is nothing "juicy" about yet another "Sorcha Faal" suchafail report. It's completely false by the way. ISON's orbit has not changed. Here is an orbital solution I ran last night:
dropcanvas.com...
Pardon the size of the file, there are over four thousand observations of ISON included in the data. I excluded the last week of observations from the orbital calculation (they have an "x" next to the magnitude column) but the residuals for those observations down at the bottom of the file shows that they are in agreement with the predicted position of the comet to within a couple of arcseconds (the observations from the last week all have parenthesis around the residuals to show they were not included in calculating the orbit). So no, the orbit has not changed. The data show that, and it's not just from professional observatories, much of it is from amateurs.
edit on 18-9-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NotSoAnonymous

It's been proved too many times that it's a site full of hoaxes

It lost it's creditability on ATS quite a while ago and was banned as a source

Cody

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Thank you so much Cody, wonderful thread, I'm a big fan
Not to forget, S&F

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

NotSoAnonymous
reply to post by cody599

Because it's a credible site, and we here don't want to have anything with truth

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

zilebeliveunknown

NotSoAnonymous
reply to post by cody599

Because it's a credible site, and we here don't want to have anything with truth

Thank you so much Cody, wonderful thread, I'm a big fan
Not to forget, S&F

If you have a problem with my thread may I suggest you alert the mods ?

Good luck and a long life to you

Cody

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

zilebeliveunknown

NotSoAnonymous
reply to post by cody599

Credible? You have got to be kidding me. It's full of hoaxes, including this one. In fact, this whole "ISON orbit changing" nonsense is another perfect example of why it's no longer allowed on this site as a source. They welcome Sorcha Faal and similar hoaxes there with open arms.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

ngc, it was supposed to be a sarc post, sorry about that, I should've included /sarc tag.

I have more serious question for you about Ison.
Is it in anyway possible if it breaks appart when close to Sun to change its orbit in a way to head in our direction?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

zilebeliveunknown
reply to post by ngchunter

ngc, it was supposed to be a sarc post, sorry about that, I should've included /sarc tag.

I have more serious question for you about Ison.
Is it in anyway possible if it breaks appart when close to Sun to change its orbit in a way to head in our direction?

Nope. In order to put any piece of the comet on an earth-collision course at perihelion would require more than 50 km/s delta-V in a sunward direction. That's insane.

img198.imageshack.us...

57590 next to "Tot" is the total delta-V needed to put it on an earth collision trajectory in m/s. That's 57.59 km/sec. Not happening. To put this in some perspective, that's about 5 times as much velocity as the total velocity the Apollo command module had at entry interface coming back from the moon. To get that velocity required a rocket the size of a 36 story building to propel a payload smaller than the space shuttle orbiter. So no, even if ISON breaks up at perihelion, its fragments are not going to receive over 50 km/s delta-V in a sunward direction. Not even close.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join