It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could This Be Atlantis?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I read an article a couple months ago about a researcher that believes Ireland or Scotland to be the actual location of Atlantis. Something to do with the Geographical features of the island.

Someone else might have mentioned it. I didn't bother reading all the posts.

I wouldn't put much thought into this Scientist.
Many people have claimed to have found Atlantis before.

Sad thing is, over the course of human history, many small civilizations have sunken into seas and oceans. Earthquakes, Tsunamais, and many other natural occurences can cause immense areas of land to become submersed.
Considering the the amount of surface water on this planet, a ballpark figure of submersed civilizations and the fact that anything submersed becomes covered in silt overtime, I'd say Atlantis will probably never be found at all.
It'd be like 1/50,000. Probably higher. You'd have to be #ting golden horse shoes to find it. lol

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Now that this story has made the front page of Yahoo, I've got to speak up. 'Between Crete and Syria' is not:
a) In the Western Sea (ATLANtic); or
b) Beyond the Pillars of Hercules (the Mediterranean Narrows off Spain)
as recorded by the Greek, Plato.
The Mexicans had a Navy with seaborne sailing trade routes when Columbus 'discovered' America. Basques play LaCrosse. And, Panama Canal notwithstanding, North and South America are one continent, so I vote for America. As America rules the world of today by sea, Atlantis ruled the world of 10,000 years ago. This is my belief; I have no proof, only Cherokee tribal legends that describe the Land of the Atlantes. The 'Feathered Headress' of my peoples is visible in Egyptian reliefs of 'Peoples of the Sea'.

[edit on 16-11-2004 by Chakotay]

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
. The 'Feathered Headress' of my peoples is visible in Egyptian reliefs of 'Peoples of the Sea'.

You might want to rethink that connection. They name some of the "sea people" and, as the article you pointed to says, the names clearly indicate that they're of Agaean origin. Not Cherokee. They could certanly approximate Cherokee names with their alphabet, and would have known how to write a strange name.

Really... Atlantis is a parable by Plato that got turned into an European legend recently. I don't think you do your ancestors a favor by trying to graft a legend of the ones who broke treaties with them onto the teachings of the people.

IMHO, of course.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by Chakotay
The 'Feathered Headress' of my peoples is visible in Egyptian reliefs of 'Peoples of the Sea'.

You might want to rethink that connection. They name some of the "sea people" and, as the article you pointed to says, the names clearly indicate that they're of Agaean origin. Not Cherokee.

I don't think you do your ancestors a favor by trying to graft a legend of the ones who broke treaties with them onto the teachings of the people.

Byrd. I am not suggesting the Sea Peoples are 'Cherokee'. I am suggesting that the Peoples of the Sea may include Peoples of American origin. I am suggesting that the Aegean was colonized by American natives long ago, and that Plato's account is a retelling of Egyptian legends of this. I hope some day physical evidence of this is found in one of the hundreds of thousands of American pyramids. And I would appreciate it, if you would stop telling me what Cherokees are supposed to believe. Our People believe in FREEDOM OF THOUGHT. I am Cherokee, Tsalagi, Aniyunwiya, Bird Clan, Ross- who are you to dictate what I must believe? Grafting? I am quoting my Ancestors: the Cherokees are the People of the Atlantes. I do not want you to believe me, my friend. I want you to question reality.

I have researched these ideas for years at the urging of my friends LSB Leakey and Thor Heyerdahl and my tribal Elders. My daughter's mother's People still carve Cedar canoes and use them to cross the Pacific from Washington State to Hawaii for the Sailing Canoe Festivals. I believe in experimental science, and I have spent many years sailing canoes and visiting sites and researching every theory I can get my hands on. I believe nothing until proven, disbelieve nothing until disproven. Scholasticism is for children; research is for adults. I am skeptical that the current find in the Aegean is Atlantis because it does not match Plato's description of a location West of the Pillars of Heracles.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by Chakotay]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Actually, as I've mentioned, I'm in agreement a bit, but in the vein of South, not North America.

For me, one of the most compelling arguments for the Altiplano in South America being Atlantis is Plato's line about it being "midway, along the continent's longest side".

As for physical evidence, don't forget the cocoa and tobacco found in Egyptian mummies, nor the experiments done to show that a ship of the times could have made the journey.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Bravo, Gazrok! We call the Americas Turtle Island, the idea of them being separated is foreign to us. We can walk there. I want to encourage those following the Aegean story to keep posting, I don't want to stifle discussion. What I post may be proven untrue, and I will applaud the proof! When I was first taught the Cherokee origin legends, I found them very hard to believe. Over the years, I have found proof that some of them are true; others remain unproven. But I have never caught my Ancestors in a lie. I am fascinated when other People's legends corroborate their stories. What a grand puzzle we live in!

There is definitely something unusual in Tiahuanaco. Von Danniken poisoned the well down there for some, but that didn't deter another friend of mine from opening a file on it: Carl Sagan actively investigated there in regards to planetary SETI (SETV), although he would not discuss much in public.

You can read Plato online now for free:
For these histories tell of a mighty power which unprovoked made an expedition against the whole of Europe and Asia, and to which your city put an end. This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean; for this sea which is within the Straits of Heracles is only a harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless continent.

Talk about Above Top Secret!

[edit on 17-11-2004 by Chakotay]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join