It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cessna anounces new light combat jet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The Cessna Scorpion

the time frame for this seems pretty amazing in today's atmosphere of decades-long-development for large military aircraft - design and build started in 2012, first flight expected to be this year and "low volume production" in 2015!

The Scorpion is designed for a world of tight defense budgets, including the budget of the U.S. Department of Defense and those of U.S. allies. The company said it is well suited for the Air National Guard’s missions, such as irregular warfare, border patrol, maritime surveillance, emergency relief, counter-narcotics and air defense operations.

Sylvestre said the nearly all-composite plane borrows technology, but not the design, used in Citations business jets. It was built without government funds and the company didn’t go through the usual procurement process in which the military issues specifications and the companies compete for the project.

The role and concept makes me think of various other private COIN combat planes over the age such as the Cavalier/Piper Enforcer based on the P-51 and the Scaled Composites ARES...but hopefully its fate will be more akin to the Northrop F-5 than either of those two!!
edit on 17-9-2013 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Aloysius the Gaul
the time frame for this seems pretty amazing in today's atmosphere of decades-long-development for large military aircraft

This will be the reason...

It was built without government funds

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I never thought I would hear the words Cessna and combat jet in the same sentence... lol wow

I never thought I would hear of something like "tight budget" combat jet, affordable even to the US gov.!!!, either.
edit on 18-9-2013 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

whats with the straight wings?? is it a sub sonic fighter or am i missing something?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I'm not really digging it. Lets be fair, how is that going to outclass any of todays fighters??

I can just hear it now - "Don't try and invade us... We have a Cessna!!"

I just can't see how that could compete with any of the F-teens, Typhoon, F-22, F-35, MIGs, Sukhois. Air Defense? Just no.
edit on 18-9-2013 by Florasaurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Florasaurus

It's not a fighter it's a COIN platform similar to the AT-6 and the Embraer plane that I'm blanking on right off hand.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by choos

It's a subsonic light attack aircraft for COIN missions.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

NowanKenubi
I never thought I would hear the words Cessna and combat jet in the same sentence... lol wow

A-37?

This will be somewhat similar to the A-37. But instead of a pure bomb-truck the emphasis is on endurance and sensors. Internal bay for modular sensor fits. Similar weapon payload (arguably more effective since using scaled munitions and/or PGM unavailable to the Super Tweet)

Here's the actual website, with more details and pretty pictures (read "advertising")

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

Thanks for the info! lol I didn't know they had built others... well, at least one.

The A-37 has a nice look, and also resembles a Cessna! It's like looking at the military version of a car!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

They also used it for pilot training for years. From what I've been told it's just like any other Cessna and quite easy to fly.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

The Tweet was pretty docile. You used to be able to see miles of them at Randolf and Williams (and several other ATC bases)).

Just realized I didn't actually leave the url in my last post-- www.scorpionjet.com...

top topics

join