It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Astronomy Members--Please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I wanted to look at the sky last night because I sensed something was up.

Okay, I didn't get to because the overcast was too thick.

But if I were to look at the sky, this is what I would have been able to see

snoop.palomar.caltech.edu...

if I lived in southern California.

Okay, now discounting everything up til about

which is 0804 Greenwich Mean Time, or 0304 Pacific Standard Time--

1. What is the light source to the Right that nearly envelopes the lens?

2. What do people in Southern California experience when they look up at the sky and that light Source is there--from 3am until about 5am?

3. Why does the Milky Way rotate laterally from a single pivot point? Shouldn't the whole thing just traipse across the sky like a rainbow east to west?

Please advise and help me relieve my ignorance on this topic.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Perhaps the discussion in this thread is of relevant interest.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I'm waiting for the astronomical community to comment on their own profession's work.

We amateurs can speculate all we want; but until the professionals 'fess up and talk about what they are seeing ON THEIR EQUIPMENT, we'll never begin to believe and trust them again.

Come on guys. Speak up. What is this illumnation off to the side in the middle of the night?

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I saw the pictures, and I thought to myself "Area 51 isn't that far from southern California, is it?" It definitely has to do something with that. It couldn't have been a natural occuring phenomenon, there is no possible way.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Shouldn't this be under "Space Exploration"?

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
heres teh deal ill take it one by one

1. the light glow in teh horizon to the right is light pollution from a near by city it is almost impossible to escape light pollution anywhere. if the yere wonderign about the "ripples" in the first few pics that was just rain watter on the lense of the camera

2. that light soruce creats a "blanket" of ambient light and cancels out the light of stars it should alwys be there unless there is a black out in teh city.

3. the milky way rotates around one point because of the rotation of the earth. it just so happens that the star Polaris is right above earths axis and is called the north star. contary to belief it is a dim star. but as the earth rotates the sky rotates around this point because the direction the earth is loking in changes. stand under the light in your room and turn in a 360 degree circle. the scenery around you changes but if you look up its apears everyting is rotating around th epoint right above you. its the same thing with the sky.

if there is something you would like me to elaborate on more ill be more than happy if there is something that i answerd that you werent looking for please clarify
here is a page that deals with light pollution nad how you can help fight it also check my profile skyandtelescope.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Like I said, I dunno. This phenomenon--what I have archived under "STRAY LIGHT" in my particular database--is not commented on, in the press.

It's NOT "out there." It's "right here" attached to our planet, all over the place. I have hundreds of files of stray lights.

It is a totally NON-TOPIC for discussion, anyplace.

Where would you put it?

[edit on 13-11-2004 by Emily_Cragg]

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
the ambient light you are seeing is light pollution

ever wonderd why the sky is purple or pink at night? its light pollution

particles of water, dust, smoke, smog and the atmosphere in general all reflect light some what and when there is alot of light in the "air" you get all kinds of refractions and stuff and it causes light pollution which is harmless except to star light. click my link to learn more

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
But, it doesn't occur all the time.

In that same archive are photos that do not have the light pollution at 9pm but are full of light pollution at 3am.

And that is physically unlikely. More people have lights ON at 9pm than at 3am.

So, maybe it's light pollution; and maybe it's something else.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
are you lookign at images from the same observatory?

in the mornigns light pollution seems to be weaker so after 3 is explainabe because the atmosphere has settled after all night and the air is always verry calm in them morning usually. also people are asleep and there arenot as many lights on. as for the 9 issue hmmmmm im not to sure but im 100% sure that you are seeing light pollution

AH! mabye the light isnt light pollution but instead zodaical light.....

that would accountfor the time interval give me a moment to look it up

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Those are ALL-NIGHT photos. There IS NO MORNING at 2 or 3 in the morning.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
yep thats it its zoadical light! heres a link

www.space.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
what i meant by in the mornign i meant 2 or 3 hours pre dawn but i jsut solved your mystery

there is a better article in my "astronomer's bible" thant the link provided im going to scan it and put it on photo bucket

[edit on 13-11-2004 by Mizar]

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
here you go this is a much better explaniation i think
img.photobucket.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Emily_Cragg
But if I were to look at the sky, this is what I would have been able to see
if I lived in southern California.

Actually, you wouldn't have seen that. I do have friends who are stargazers and who do some sky photography and live in Los Angeles. You would not have seen those images in the sky... not with the naked eye.

The stuff I see in the images is apparently a phot of equipment as viewed through one of the mirrors.

1. What is the light source to the Right that nearly envelopes the lens?

You can get the precise details over at the Bad Astronomy forum
www.badastronomy.com...

2. What do people in Southern California experience when they look up at the sky and that light Source is there--from 3am until about 5am?

A very ordinary night sky. I've been there; I've seen it.

3. Why does the Milky Way rotate laterally from a single pivot point? Shouldn't the whole thing just traipse across the sky like a rainbow east to west?

It has to do with the position of the Earth in space. The whole solar system isn't "aligned" with the Milky Way" and in fact, there's absolutly no reason why it should be aligned with anything.

[edit on 13-11-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
And if astronomers are so stupid they utilize this kind of equipment to watch stars when--in fact--noise light is overwhelming their photographs time-after-time-after-time--

then, maybe there's really something else going on.

As you know, my trust level is up around my neck. I think NSA is messing with the astronomy profession and with the professional ability to articulate data.

new topics

top topics

join