It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC Threat Report: ‘We Will Soon Be in a Post-Antibiotic Era’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I think the title is a tad misleading based on paraphrase the title used VS the actual quote from the director, but alarming that this is beginning to become a normal thing.

“If we are not careful, we will soon be in a post-antibiotic era,” Dr. Tom Frieden, the CDC’s director, said in a media briefing. “And for some patients and for some microbes, we are already there.”

The report marks the first time the agency has provided hard numbers for the incidence, deaths and cost of all the major resistant organisms. (It had previously estimated illnesses and deaths from some families of organisms or types of drug resistance, but those numbers were never gathered in one place.) It also represents the first time the CDC has ranked resistant organisms by how much and how imminent a threat they pose, using seven criteria: health impact, economic impact, how common the infection is, how easily it spreads, how much further it might spread in the next 10 years, whether there are antibiotics that still work against it, and whether things other than administering antibiotics can be done to curb its spread.

Out of that matrix, their top three “urgent” threats:

Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae or CRE, a set of ICU germs that are resistant to almost all antibiotics: 9,000 infections per year, 600 deaths
Antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea, which currently responds to only one drug: 246,000 infections per year
Clostridium difficile, which is growing in resistance to one class of drugs, but more important, serves as a marker for the use of other antibiotics: 250,000 illnesses, 14,000 deaths.

www.wired.com...

I think we all knew it was coming eventually.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I heard the report on the news last night about this and the first thing I thought was, Of course, when the doctors are handing out antibiotics like candy, what did they think was going to happen.

Your right. Many people saw this coming.
Which is why I won't use any of the antibacterial crap out there, and don't go to the doctor when I have a little cold. Never did when my sons were younger either.
It really is amazing, what your own body can fight off, if you feed it well and let it do it's job.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Having a healthy body helps a tonne too.

I dont mean "in shape" or "i eat weird stuff to stay thin", i mean healthy.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Right! That's what I meant by feed it well. It is very easy these days to find out all kinds of good foods, that boost your immune system.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by YayMayorBee

they go to certain medicinal plants and single out the active ingredient to put in pill form. at times this negates the natural chemical equation that makes the entire plant beneficial and in balance with nature's method of repairing the body.

by taking antibiotics regularly, the body now loses it's ability to build resistance to naturally occurring viral strains, and grows a dependency on using pharmaceutical pills for every little attack on the immune system. weakening the immune system's ability to defend itself from lack of practice. one must keep their soldiers in training.

it is better to just eat healthy food with naturally occuring antibiotics, garlic, onions, and mushrooms etc. the reason u get so sick anyway is cause of all the crap ur eating. so eat healthy, eat organic, and when u get sick ull get over it without tablets, and eventually as ur immune system strengthens those things wont affect u anymore like they do everyone else. i grew up on a natural antibiotic mix of honey, onions and garlic and some other herbs. a couple teaspoons when i get sick.

also all ur immune deficiencies/weaknesses will pass on through your genes to your children. so the anitbiotic pills probably help u feel better, but theyre weakening your genetic footprint and survivability to nature's ever changing environment.

tablets are bad mmkay.

edit on 17-9-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I swear by Vitamin C - every time this year at work when everyone else at work got sick and spread it around, my one coworker and I would just up our vitamin c intake and not once did either one of us get sick. If i'm around sick people the second I get home i increase my vitamin c intake for a few days. Haven't had a cold or flu in a very long time now, even when everyone around me is sick. I cringe when people go to the doctor's for a cold.. all you need is rest, fluids and vitamin C. I very RARELY go to an actual doctors office, I do however see my chiropractor every 2 weeks because of a hip problem and I get chiropractic treatment and acupuncture. Now about a month or so ago I went with my friend to his doctor's appointment because he had been having trouble breathing for quite awhile and wanted to get it checked out. I was absolutely disgusted... the doctor was very obviously sick with a cold / flu and was coughing all over everything, didn't even wash or sanitize his hands or put gloves on before checking out my friend. Like, really? Never again. I feel like doctor's offices are just breeding places for bacteria with all the sick people that go there that don't actually need to go.

top topics

join