It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23,116,928 to 20,618,000: Record Households on Food Stamps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
23,116,928 to 20,618,000: Record Households on Food Stamps

Emphasis on 'Households', not number of people.

Big problem here.

Why does this keep increasing ?

The qualification standards have been the same.

It looks like the middle class is progressively deteriorating.

Sick government policy. Weak economic policy. Weak and sloppy Administration.

A record 23,116,928 American households were enrolled in the federal government’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)—AKA food stamps—during the month of June, according to data released this month by the Department of Agriculture.

That outnumbers the 20,618,000 households that the Census Bureau estimated were in the entire Northeastern United States as of the second quarter of 2013.

According to the Census Bureau, the Northeast region includes Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania. Thus, in June, the households receiving food stamps exceeded the total combined households in all of these states.

23,116,928 to 20,618,000: Record Households on Food Stamps Outnumber All Households in Northeast U.S.

Years ago, these numbers were compared to smaller things. Now it all about large portions of geographies !!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time getting upset at the number of people on foodstamps. I understand that it is a symptom of a much larger problem (not enough jobs and too many jobs that don't pay a living wage). But understand that these people are able to actually survive from one week to the next and not starve like a third world country because of the SNAP program.

OP maybe you are concerned about the economy and the jobs it provides, but when you point out figures like this it just looks like you are blaming the people for not having work or the ones who do, not being able to afford food. However, the way I see it, this problem can be corrected by correcting the much larger problem causing it. Government intrusion into EVERYTHING so much so that starting a new business is becoming harder and harder, only to be squeezed out of business by the big corporations who apparently receive more protection then the little businesses do.

So before we start talking about lazy Americans not wanting to work, how about we address the bigger elephant in the room? If we can get job income back on track, the food stamp problem should go away overnight, and if it doesn't we can come back to this discussion.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

But understand that these people are able to actually survive from one week to the next and not starve like a third world country because of the SNAP program.

Except, people are on food stamps because of the same group offering the food stamps.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Why does this keep increasing?

Ugh, there are so many reasons, all bad.

This is not helping, there are actual needy people out there and the level of fraud and abuse is staggering.

Meanwhile, the above board administration costs of the program consume the lion's share anyway.

Time to decommission all social services, fire everybody, sell all the equipment and properties and distribute the funds equally to every American citizen. Current beneficiaries will get the same amount they already get so it doesn't cause a catastrophe to the needy. Then we can start to dismantle the whole thing piecemeal once the apparatus is eliminated.

Sound like a plan?

Want to see something depressing that reveals just how inept and unhelpful this crap can be?

Homeless hotel tab $1M per week in Mass.
edit on 17-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I think the problem is not nessarly the people but the goverment.

If there are not enough jobs to go around? Fix it.

Stop the big banks and Co orperation laying off thousnds of people even when they still turn insane profits would be a start! And stop letting them relocate to the 3rd world. I had a good job get taken from me cause my compnay (turning billions in profits) relocated to india! Im guessing the same thing happens in the USA too right?

Another of there are not enough jobs then try and help new start up businesses with tax breaks and low intrest loans! A self employed person is one less person off welfare and taxpayer and better yet a poteninal sourse of new jobs!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

That puts that the numbers around number 50 on the list of countrys by the highest population 0.o

wowzers
edit on 17-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well not my household. Though.... If crap keeps going the way it is... I'm starting to think getting on LINK (Illinois) and SNAP isn't such a bad idea
You can even purchase Gas with your LINK card... Seriously... You can shop at "Whole Foods" and baisically anywhere you want... It's fetching stupid, yes. But unfortunately this economy isn't getting better.... So, with that....

I should just do my duty as an American, work 3 jobs (still not make enough due to fetching inflation and cost of living) jump on some gov't supplemental programs like LINK or SNAP and help bring this country to it's knee's.... Hell, I've never even been on unemployment, I always walked out and found myself a job because I didn't want to be associated with "Those people"

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
My problem with the food stamp situation is the for profit
status it holds, making it a for profit system was bound
to open it for abuse.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It's not just the economy while that is a very big part of the problem.

IMO I really think modern families are raising their children to be just plain lazy. Certain groups of people should not be reproducing and or raising families. These kids are brought up by parents who show and teach them exactly how to be lazy and beat the system. Think about if you are raised in a family that exists only off GOV handouts and welfare do you really think your children are going to grasp "working hard" for their money. Not only are these families on welfare but they often sell their stamps for cash to put rims on a car or something else stupid. Hell most people I know on SNAP or assistance are habitual drug users, alcoholics and dealers. Damn shame......

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

GuidedKill
Not only are these families on welfare but they often sell their stamps for cash to put rims on a car or something else stupid. Hell most people I know on SNAP or assistance are habitual drug users, alcoholics and dealers. Damn shame......

This maybe your perception but I do not think it is correct. It is true that some people recieving Food Stamp benefits are addicts and will sell their food stamps for $0.50 on the dollar but those people are the minority and that is fraud and both parties of the exchange can face criminal charges if caught. (very few get caught) Anytime there is money involved there will be scammers and people who abuse the system.

I will say that most people on Food Stamps are financially irresponsible. Most people on Food Stamps use all of their monthly allowance by the third week of the month. Maybe our education system is to blame since so many can't balance their budget.

The biggest reason why Food Stamps are popular is the weak economy. There are more workers than available jobs, and most available jobs are low wage.

What gets me is we have so many who complain that they do not want their taxes to go to someone who can't afford to feed themselves, yet the majority of their tax dollars are going overseas and there is no outrage over that.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

jrod

GuidedKill
Not only are these families on welfare but they often sell their stamps for cash to put rims on a car or something else stupid. Hell most people I know on SNAP or assistance are habitual drug users, alcoholics and dealers. Damn shame......

This maybe your perception but I do not think it is correct. It is true that some people recieving Food Stamp benefits are addicts and will sell their food stamps for $0.50 on the dollar but those people are the minority and that is fraud and both parties of the exchange can face criminal charges if caught. (very few get caught) Anytime there is money involved there will be scammers and people who abuse the system.

I will say that most people on Food Stamps are financially irresponsible. Most people on Food Stamps use all of their monthly allowance by the third week of the month. Maybe our education system is to blame since so many can't balance their budget.

The biggest reason why Food Stamps are popular is the weak economy. There are more workers than available jobs, and most available jobs are low wage.

What gets me is we have so many who complain that they do not want their taxes to go to someone who can't afford to feed themselves, yet the majority of their tax dollars are going overseas and there is no outrage over that.

I am outraged about it all however the OP was only about the welfare and food stamps. I'll save my rants on the other subjects until someone makes a thread. On the other hand here is just one example of an entire generation of one family that is on welfare or some sort of GOV assistance. This family openly admits in this documentary they cheated the system and were taught by there parents and grand parents. All the while abusing drugs and profiting from a movie made about their family. I hate to admit it but his is just one example of many families teaching their children to be losers.

Or this guy who was a multi platnium selling artist. Do you think all those kids in the limo are learning a good life lesson?? Not to mention the network who is glorifying this type of behavior.

edit on 17-9-2013 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-9-2013 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
i'm afraid this like the unemployment numbers are under reported.
i know people who are hurting that will not get into the system.

several are hurting real bad. just don't want to get on the governments dime.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

hounddoghowlie

Or what about the people who have been without a job so long their unemployment benefits have run out and they are dropped from the system??? Are they counted in these numbers we see every month? I bet not......

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

GuidedKill

hounddoghowlie

Or what about the people who have been without a job so long their unemployment benefits have run out and they are dropped from the system??? Are they counted in these numbers we see every month? I bet not......

that's what i'm talking about. the government likes to spin numbers to meet whatever drum their beating at the time.

like when they claim there is a drop in unemployment, i know people that filed and then when the benefits ran out, they were still in the same boat as before.

then i know some who never even filed.

why the government does not recognize, or admitt that these food stamp numbers not only reflects the sick, unemployable, elderly,or the ones who won't work, it also reflect IMO the people who are able to work that can't find a job.

i sit and wonder just how dumb the people on the hill, think the masses are that we can't see what is really going on.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

The food stamp process is hella easy now. Maybe the people before didn't understand how to apply or if they were even qualified. All can be done online with ease.

Did notice a loophole in GAs process. They don't or didn't check out of state income. All I would have to do is lie and I'd get food stamps. My license and vehicle registration is all GA. I meet all requirements for residency. My income is out of state.

Maybe the other states are the same.

Think the middle class people have just gotten more savvy and not poorer. You'd be surprised on the requirements w/ dependents vs the poverty threshold.

top topics

join