It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sugar is Addictive and the Most Dangerous Drug of the Times

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

undo
kissy princess

kissy princess
I will concede that HFCS (high-fructose corn-syrup) is extremely dangerous & disruptive to the pancreas and general metabolism of the living organism. I would like to live to see the day when popular food & drink manufacturers make the switch to 'real' sugar (as opposed to 'imaginary' sugar - LOL).

I drank a poweraid, or something like that before a martial-arts work out, and about 30 minutes into it - my blood sugar dropped like the zip-line at summer-camp, and I became shaky and fatigued - just about fainted. I've hence explored some changes to my diet and found that such a disruption as described above does not occur with the moderate use of normal fructose and sucrose in a sports-drink. HFCS is from hell.

karate champion in florida, told me that drinking alka seltzer about 30 minutes before a work out, will significantly lower the amount of lactic acid build-up in your muscles. just a FYI thingy.

I'm totally going to try this before I hit the dojo tonite - thanks! xox

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Between genetics & self control, I don't think we can entirely blame the sugar, folks. Yes, I know people who go bonkers if they can't have a chocolate bar or a pastry every day when they want it, but a person with addiction tendencies can get hooked on anything that goes in the mouth. Simple carbs & refined sugar aren't inherently bad, they're fine in moderation just like booze. We don't need THAT either, but try telling people we should regulate it's consumption further because it's addictive & it's over-consumption is destructive to the body. Fangs, claws & hissing ensue if you try it. Bottom line is, if it stimulates somehow, it can be craved to the point of addiction depending on your genes.
A lot of people also don't recognize when they need a nutrient. My husband will crave sugary food like a raving lunatic if he isn't getting enough fiber or protein (ESPECIALLY protein for him) Foods like tofu, beans, or straight up meat will nip it on the spot. I suspect that many people who crave sugar are simply not connecting the dots that they need more of something else in their diet.

That is not the opinion of a sugar addict. I don't use sugar in my coffee (why do people drink it if they're going to cover up the flavor?!) I don't guzzle sodas (at best, I currently buy one 2-liter a month that others end up finishing) I don't actually like sweets or pastries, my idea of a good snack or dessert is something savory, not sugary (such as a piece of roast meat) Pasta & breads are ok, but I don't really care for them much without plenty of protein because they're simply unsatisfying to me otherwise.
Yes, I crave sugar here & there, but not in ungodly amounts. It's normal to crave something as an indulgence. When the indulgence starts to become the main consumption, that's when you really need to look at what you're not getting enough of, or not getting at all.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
nyiah

sugar addicts don't just casually drink soda or anything sugary. a sugar addict can eat a whole pie, covered in whipped cream and loaded with sugar, and still crave sugar. this is why i think it's related to feeding a foreign invader in the body, specifically, yeast, which converts it to alcohol.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

undo
nyiah

sugar addicts don't just casually drink soda or anything sugary. a sugar addict can eat a whole pie, covered in whipped cream and loaded with sugar, and still crave sugar. this is why i think it's related to feeding a foreign invader in the body, specifically, yeast, which converts it to alcohol.

I'm well aware of that binging aspect, I've seen my husband do it. Yeast may indeed by one of the culprits, but I doubt it's the only one. Our body is an organic machine that needs multiple components to work properly (nutrients) If someone is lacking in say, chromium, and inhaling chocolate cake, this isn't going to solve the chromium deficiency, is it? Chromium being a metabolism nutrient, and refined starches & sugars being easy to metabolize, you can see how someone might think "cake will fix this!" instead of "I need BROCCOLI, stat!" If there is yeast present in the body, there's that extra nudge toward sugary foods. But it doesn't detract from the underlying issue of a deficiency, does it?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

kissy princess

undo
kissy princess

kissy princess
I will concede that HFCS (high-fructose corn-syrup) is extremely dangerous & disruptive to the pancreas and general metabolism of the living organism. I would like to live to see the day when popular food & drink manufacturers make the switch to 'real' sugar (as opposed to 'imaginary' sugar - LOL).

I drank a poweraid, or something like that before a martial-arts work out, and about 30 minutes into it - my blood sugar dropped like the zip-line at summer-camp, and I became shaky and fatigued - just about fainted. I've hence explored some changes to my diet and found that such a disruption as described above does not occur with the moderate use of normal fructose and sucrose in a sports-drink. HFCS is from hell.

karate champion in florida, told me that drinking alka seltzer about 30 minutes before a work out, will significantly lower the amount of lactic acid build-up in your muscles. just a FYI thingy.

I'm totally going to try this before I hit the dojo tonite - thanks! xox

OMG IS THIS SERIOUS!? lol

i did it few times before gym(never heard of it) for my stomach problem, but i felt my endurance increased... wow just wow... i thought it was a placebo effect.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Nyiah

undo
nyiah

I'm well aware of that binging aspect, I've seen my husband do it. Yeast may indeed by one of the culprits, but I doubt it's the only one. Our body is an organic machine that needs multiple components to work properly (nutrients) If someone is lacking in say, chromium, and inhaling chocolate cake, this isn't going to solve the chromium deficiency, is it? Chromium being a metabolism nutrient, and refined starches & sugars being easy to metabolize, you can see how someone might think "cake will fix this!" instead of "I need BROCCOLI, stat!" If there is yeast present in the body, there's that extra nudge toward sugary foods. But it doesn't detract from the underlying issue of a deficiency, does it?

nothing with the body is ever simple, obviously. if yeast converts sugar to alcohol, theoretically, one major underlying issue is addiction to sustained low levels of alcohol. if yeast is demanding sugar, it could be interfacing with our cells, causing them to call for sugar, resulting in the craving. i don't know enough about how yeast interacts with the body, but it's worth investigating.

edit on 17-9-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

It's definitely worth investigating, for sure. I'd be curious to know if it's ultimately the casual sugar intake in an otherwise healthy diet that causes the yeast imbalance, or if it's the nutrient deficiency sending out cues misinterpreted as sugar cravings that is the source. Chicken or the egg, if you will. Does the donut lead to the downhill battle, or does not getting enough of X containing food start it?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Nyiah
reply to post by undo

It's definitely worth investigating, for sure. I'd be curious to know if it's ultimately the casual sugar intake in an otherwise healthy diet that causes the yeast imbalance, or if it's the nutrient deficiency sending out cues misinterpreted as sugar cravings that is the source. Chicken or the egg, if you will. Does the donut lead to the downhill battle, or does not getting enough of X containing food start it?

i may have some evidence in that regard. i say "may" because, as you mentioned, the body is complex and something else may be causing the entire cascade event. anyway, i take chromium picolinate every day, to balance blood sugar, because i'm a type 2 diabetic. the sugar cravings have not lessened. however, it could be that some trigger involving chromium assimilation in the first place, is missing or in such low quantities, that it ends up not solving the craving. however, it has managed to maintain my blood sugar balance. so it must work to some degree, yet still doesn't curb the sugar craving.

so jury still out on that, and one of the reasons i think it's a low level alcohol addiction, driven by yeast populations in the body.

p.s. i have run out of acidophilus and need to get more. i'm craving a banana split, key lime pie, and fudge. and butter cream frosting......
and three musketeer bars...
edit on 17-9-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
So highly addictive that one bite of it can drag somebody off the wagon. Us sugar addicts have to separate from it both cold turkey and cold vulture (and I just noticed those stupid emoticons on the right as I type this, they all look alike to me).

I've been off and on sugar many times since 1991 (on it for years before that), and when I'm on it I can't call myself a vegan (milk usually occupies cake, cookies and candy). Have been off sugar since September 18 of last year (Yay! Just realized it's almost my first anniversary. Celebrated my 25th year as a vegetarian last week).

Congrats to anyone who can kick this sick and sickening habit, society and capitalism fight against you daily. Look at candy wrappers - the colors imitate the colors of fruit (as do sugar cereals, cake colors, etc.). So, good luck, and to give testimony, I can tell you it's well worth it.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Kinda wanted to throw this into the mix.

Evidence for sugar addiction: Behavioral and neurochemical effects of intermittent, excessive sugar intake

Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2008; 32(1): 20–39.
Published online 2007 May 18. doi: 10.1016/j.neubiorev.2007.04.019

Abstract

The experimental question is whether or not sugar can be a substance of abuse and lead to a natural form of addiction. “Food addiction” seems plausible because brain pathways that evolved to respond to natural rewards are also activated by addictive drugs. Sugar is noteworthy as a substance that releases opioids and dopamine and thus might be expected to have addictive potential. This review summarizes evidence of sugar dependence in an animal model. Four components of addiction are analyzed. “Bingeing”, “withdrawal”, “craving” and cross-sensitization are each given operational definitions and demonstrated behaviorally with sugar bingeing as the reinforcer. These behaviors are then related to neurochemical changes in the brain that also occur with addictive drugs. Neural adaptations include changes in dopamine and opioid receptor binding, enkephalin mRNA expression and dopamine and acetylcholine release in the nucleus accumbens. The evidence supports the hypothesis that under certain circumstances rats can become sugar dependent. This may translate to some human conditions as suggested by the literature on eating disorders and obesity.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Agreed, and some of it's properties have been found to cause cancer. AMsterdam eh? MAybe Colorado and Washington State should pay attention since they will become munchy states!
Curious how you feel about any govt intervention? I do not like the govt telling us what to eat, but at the same time maybe they should serve as a beneficial instrument in curtailing the issue. It's always up to us, but collectively we don't always do it, and to the detriment of all regarding health costs. I always feel like it's not an 'either or' situation with govt help, but more where is a sensible middle ground?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

wevebeenassimilated

Thank you for starting this post!

I too, cannot consume sugar in any form because of my leukemia (CLL - stage 2). The sugar feeds the cancer. I have successfully avoided chemotherapy for several years because I went on a self imposed Mediterranean diet. Also carbs turn into sugar so I avoid those as well.

BTW which kind of autoimmune disease are you suffering from ... if I may ask?

What is worse in America they have made us addicts by the use of high fructose corn syrup in everything. It started years ago with the government and farmers.

I would appreciate it if you could pm me any diet info you have, facing a diabetes diagnosis and if I can show i can get it under control or go on medicine and I don't want to do that.

I would appreciate any help from all, kinda scared.

Thanks

The Bot

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Where I'm currently living it's all about "polar pops". 32 ounces of (usually) mountain dew can be yours for 69 cents. I'm suspicious that some people have 3 per day. Yikes.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I have over the last year cut out all sugar and the bulk of carbs. I live very happily on a high fat, moderate protein and low carb diet. Not only have i lost 4 stone in weight but I am happier, better digestion and more alert. I sleep soundly at night and would never go back.

The diet i have is quite a primal one, but i figure its what we were designed to eat (bread, pasta, grains and most veg are very recent) I have also become interested in the growing discussion about cancer and sugar. there are allot of good points made and we cant really ignore how sugar consumption has increased in the last 50 years and that increases in cancer have followed hand in glove.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

What I hate about this stupid article is they do not make any distinction between refined white table sugar and naturally occurring plant sugars.

Fact. The two are treated differently by the body - chemically, they are totally different types of sugars and are broken down stored and used differently.

The health problems refined white sugar causes are not caused by natural sugars. I find such an omission in the article very suspect, highly misleading and very Bad science.
edit on 5-11-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I don't understand how people get addicted to sugar, but I do agree that there is way too much of it in most food. I treat myself to a Starbucks mocha once a week because it's not too sweet for me. However, if I try getting one at a standard convenience store, it's like trying to drink liquid sugar.

I prefer my snacks to be savory over sweet, and if I'm addicted to anything, it's salt.

I don't get how you can eat that artificially sweetened stuff for the most part. It's just too sweet and actually mostly tastes repellent to my palate.

I did used to drink pop, but then I started taking a medication that makes carbonated beverages taste bad. I do miss having the occasional pop with either my pizza or my Mexican food. Those two things go really well with a bubbly pop.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Yea! Just like alcohol and tobacco, sugar is actually a drug. There is an important role for government. The use of sugar should be discouraged. And users should be made aware of the dangers

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join