It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sugar is Addictive and the Most Dangerous Drug of the Times

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The Most Dangerous Drug? Let's get real - Sugar and Heroin are worlds apart.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kissy princess

I think you maybe getting dangerous and lethal confused. I do agree with your point though, the two aren't even in the same park. Although, too much of anything is bad. How many people die a year from aspirin, accidentally? Moderation is key, with everything.
edit on 17-9-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
kimish

kimish
reply to post by kissy princess

I think you maybe getting dangerous and lethal confused. I do agree with your point though. Too much of anything is bad. Moderation is key, with everything.

except in the case where the underlying cause is not entirely understood. which is why i think the addiction is related to yeast population, which in turn is exacerbated by antibiotics in milk and meat products. the antibiotics kill natural intestinal flora. the yeast population takes advantage of this gap and grows out of control. they convert the sugars and starches into alcohol, giving the individual tiny, sustained doses of alcohol that acts like a mood enhancer.

the only viable, long term solution, short of giving up milk, meat, sugar and starch, is to therapeutically replace lost acidophilus culture, and do so, regularly, to curtail the tide of new yeast populations.

edit on 17-9-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

What about fruit? Vegans eat a metric ton of fruit and this has been worrying me. Yeah, it's natural fructose and not the same as the processed and refined sugars but still. I do get worried about the amount of fruit I eat (5+ servings a day, approximately).

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

The regulation of one's blood-sugar levels is very important, and proper nutrition is key to good health; 'you are what you eat.' However, I think much of Lustig's rhetoric is over the top & downright misleading.

Can you imagine convenience store clerks slinging Hershey bars out of the back door to little kids that are away from the prying eyes of their parents & police? LOL F*ck regulation.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
ashleyd

AshleyD

What about fruit? Vegans eat a metric ton of fruit and this has been worrying me. Yeah, it's natural fructose and not the same as the processed and refined sugars but still. I do get worried about the amount of fruit I eat (5+ servings a day, approximately).

there's at least 2 problems with any kind of sugar. one is the info i posted in my last post above yours. the other is that fruit sugars will literally eat the enamel off your teeth, particularly citric acid fruits.

i mean fire departments use ascorbic acid (vitamin c) to clean out their fire hydrants from lime and calcium deposits.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Lustig's reply to this is something along the lines of, "fructose is nature's way of insuring one gets their proper fiber-intake."

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Hundreds of years ago anything sweet or sugary was a rare treat...It should be that way again.

I am trying to reduce sugar in my life and only get sweet from fruit...in moderation...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I will concede that HFCS (high-fructose corn-syrup) is extremely dangerous & disruptive to the pancreas and general metabolism of the living organism. I would like to live to see the day when popular food & drink manufacturers make the switch to 'real' sugar (as opposed to 'imaginary' sugar - LOL).

I drank a poweraid, or something like that before a martial-arts work out, and about 30 minutes into it - my blood sugar dropped like the zip-line at summer-camp, and I became shaky and fatigued - just about fainted. I've hence explored some changes to my diet and found that such a disruption as described above does not occur with the moderate use of normal fructose and sucrose in a sports-drink. HFCS is from hell.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
kissy princess

kissy princess
I will concede that HFCS (high-fructose corn-syrup) is extremely dangerous & disruptive to the pancreas and general metabolism of the living organism. I would like to live to see the day when popular food & drink manufacturers make the switch to 'real' sugar (as opposed to 'imaginary' sugar - LOL).

I drank a poweraid, or something like that before a martial-arts work out, and about 30 minutes into it - my blood sugar dropped like the zip-line at summer-camp, and I became shaky and fatigued - just about fainted. I've hence explored some changes to my diet and found that such a disruption as described above does not occur with the moderate use of normal fructose and sucrose in a sports-drink. HFCS is from hell.

karate champion in florida, told me that drinking alka seltzer about 30 minutes before a work out, will significantly lower the amount of lactic acid build-up in your muscles. just a FYI thingy.

as regards sugars of any kind -- i stick by my original comment that the addiction is actually alcohol based because of yeast populations in the body, converting sugar to alcohol.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

kissy princess
The Most Dangerous Drug? Let's get real - Sugar and Heroin are worlds apart.

Heroine is far from the "most dangerous drug".

I tell you what. If sugar was made illegal, and it carried the same penalties per an equivalent "hit" as heroine, you'd see many more people out there resorting to desperate measures to get it. You'd have new terms like, sugar-heads, and sugar-whores. You'd have sugar cartels running around with ak's and bazookas infiltrating your local communities.

Though I'm sure it's difficult to quantify, I'm thinking sugar is linked to far, far more deaths than heroine each year.

You ever seen a hypoglycemic without their sugar-fix? Batpoo crazy!!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
disclaimer: i'm not a doctor, just a student of natural medicine. so the following is not meant as professional medical advice, just a possible solution based on study i've done

as regards using lactobacillus acidophilus as a treatment for the addiction, consider that many yogurt companies add active acidophilus cultures to their yogurt, however, the fruit on the bottom and variations of fruit mixed in, bring along the food source the yeast is living on, so you end up not solving the problem. if you're going to use active acidophilus culture yogurt, be sure there is no fruit or fruit sugar or just flat out sugar, corn syrup, and similar, in it. fructose is sugar too.

best solution i would think, is a bottle of acidophilus capsules.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by wevebeenassimilated

Sjogrens with multiple neuropathies (peripheral, face & tongue, and autonomic). Sugar feeds the autoimmune. I've also heard that sugar feeds cancer. And us sjogrens folks have a higher cancer rate than the average public. So sugar intake would just be begging for trouble for me.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
addendum: theoretically, your body's intestinal tract has a slot, so to speak, for probiotics like yeast or acidophilus. they both compete for the same slot. yeast, however, can grow out of control and cause all kinds of physical maladies. so it seems preferable to have the slot used by acidophilus than by yeast, particularly if you have a sugar problem

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

I doubt it. i so, so doubt that scenario.

Hypoglycemia can be managed with little difficulty - try eating some beef jerky and a handful of blueberries next time you get in a condition of low-blood sugar. It takes a little longer to feel straight, but it WILL (and especially over time) allow you to get your chemistry aligned.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I have one banana a day. It's good for he heart. Other than that, I don't eat fruit anymore.
The sugar in it has me concerned that it'll tip the 'yeast' scales and that it'll set off the
autoimmune ...

That reminds me ... sugar is bad for the immune system ....
Even immune systems of those people who don't have autoimmune.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

kissy princess
reply to post by webedoomed

I doubt it. i so, so doubt that scenario.

What scenario? Which part? You don't think there'd be sugar-whores if it were made illegal and carried steep penalties? I think you're naive.

Hypoglycemia can be managed with little difficulty - try eating some beef jerky and a handful of blueberries next time you get in a condition of low-blood sugar. It takes a little longer to feel straight, but it WILL (and especially over time) allow you to get your chemistry aligned.

What does that have to do with anything? Heroine addiction is easily managed by taking another hit... this has to do with... what?! Oh and tell the millions of people out there that their addiction/condition can be easily managed... tell that to a heroine addict as well... see how much good that does ya...
edit on 17-9-2013 by webedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Just wanted to note, their is a significant difference between natural sugars and refined sugars.

Basically, natural sugars are readily absorbed by the body for your daily activities and are metabolized first, while refined sugars due to their structure, are actually stored and not used immediately post digestion.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Totally, a candida yeast-cleanse is in good order. When i began taking probiotics (Garden of Life!) I noticed severe bloating and gas for the first few days, then all of the sudden felt normal again - better than normal. My nutritionist attributes this to a yeast overgrowth (fed by sugars) in the gut, which then DIED, or were killed by the new bacteria I was introducing into my system. The dying yeast & nasties were releasing methane and all sorts of toxic sh*t into the gut, which was eventually overcome by the microflora I was supplementing. It was definitely sugar that was augmenting an intestinal condition that was undoubtedly begat by too much beer, anti-biotics and the Standard American Diet (SAD). However, I regard sugar as generally safe if used in moderation - like beer and kissing.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
flyers fan

Sjogrens

it's immune system based, eh? and a neuropathy. have you read up on methylcobalamin? its the methyl form of b-12. it's not normal b-12 but a form of b-12 that has had an enzymatic reaction done to it to create the methyl form. apparently, what happens is your body normally converts normal b-12 to its methyl form, but some diseases and illnesses, including some genetic disorders, not to mention old age, hampers the creation of the enzyme that breaks the b-12 down into its methyl form. the methyl b-12 form is used by the body to regenerate nerves. i wonder if this would help sjogrens patients.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join