It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish F-16 shoots down Syrian helicopter

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Earlier today Turkish Air Force F-16s were scrambled after an unknown aircraft was detected heading to Turkish airspace from Syria, near the province of Hatay. It eventually went just over a mile into Turkish airspace before being shot down.

The helicopter was first detected at 26NM from the border. It was warned until 5NM from the border. At 1425 local, it crossed into Turkish airspace, and was intercepted by two Turkish F-16s that were on a Combat Air Patrol mission, who shot it down. It crashed just on the Syrian side of the border.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
woooaaaaaaaa..what the hell they do..what that helicopter bring..weird, S&F sir!

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Moral of the story......... If you're Syrian and in a helicopter, it would probably behoove you to stay out of Turkish airspace.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
**** ......and in unrelated and totally coincidental news.. Two very high ranking Syrian officials heard mumbling about defecting to Turkey haven't been seen since departing for the local Air base...... ****

I mean, I don't see in the story where they were definitely hostile ..and this is a war where defection has happened. Multiple times. The attacks into Turkey have seemingly come from Rebel held border areas in the past and not unlike the rebels found inside Turkey with Sarin and intention to use it on Turkish areas.

Eeek... I guess, don't so much as cross the border by a little toenail if you're Syrian government anything. That's just rude!

* Even America and Iran, I distinctly recall reading in 2002 somewhere, had an unofficial 'official' agreement about not shooting our downed airmen...at least at the start, anyway.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Did you catch the part where they were warned for 21NM? I understand your point that they may have been defectors but if that was the case they weren't the sharpest in the knife set.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see how this plays out, maybe it will be kept quiet ? I do know one thing though pause that second video at 4 seconds and the left side of the wreckage it looks like a face maybe a transformer!

Also from a conspiracy mind how convenient would it be to be filming right where the wreckage is falling down ?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

howmuch4another

Did you catch the part where they were warned for 21NM? I understand your point that they may have been defectors but if that was the case they weren't the sharpest in the knife set.

Maybe they didnt understand the lingo?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Helicopters fall straight down, If it landed in Syria then the helo was most probably in Syrian airspace
thoughts?
edit on 16-9-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
After it was hit with a missile it managed to land inside Syrian airspace having been in Turkish airspace. A helicopter. Surely the Turks wouldn't shoot down a Syrian helicopter in Syrian airspace that never entered Turkish airspace.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

VoidHawk

howmuch4another

Maybe they didnt understand the lingo?

That's for sure a possibility. That just reinforces the latter part of my post. They're in a helo...Pick a country you can understand the language maybe?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Adaluncatif

LOL
are you kidding?
what is Syria going to do about it?
take on NATO?
My bet is the helo was in Syria, they took it out to get a response and reason to invade Syria.
Basically Turkey just declared a no-fly zone in Syria

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

all2human
Helicopters fall straight down, If it landed in Syria then the helo was most probably in Syrian airspace
thoughts?

Don't worry. Someone will come up with an explanation as to why this is not the case. The helicopter was still functional. Its momentum carried it to the Syrian border. Aliens teleported it to Syrian airspace. It's not like the Turks are one of the main supporters of the "rebels".

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Adaluncatif

It fell around half a mile inside Syrian territory. The F-16s had to intercept it first, to identify it. They were less than two miles inside Turkey. By the time they could ID it, get back around into position, get a lock on, and fire, the helo could easily have turned around and been back right inside the border. Turkey had the right to shoot if they were in their territory when they were identified. The fact that they had crossed back into Syria doesn't prove anything, except they were running.

The radar data shows that they had come up and circled and were heading back down towards Syria when they crossed the border into Turkey. It almost looks like they were trying to take a shortcut back into Syria.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

A helicopter at lift off or approaching the ground probably usually crashes in a pretty small area. However, I would suspect (based on footage I've seen at intermittent intervals) that depending on where the helicopter was shot at to make it lose control, that it would spin randomly and crash quite away from where it was hit if it was high enough in the air.

Edit: Thanks for the poster above for providing the substance that I didn't.

edit on 9/16/2013 by Inde97 because: Slightly ninja'd.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

link to radar data or it didn't happen

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Inde97

I have never heard of a helicopter being able to fly 2 kilometers after being mortally wounded in mid flight.
Perhaps we can expect Syria to bomb the snip out of the drone bases in Turkey that constantly invade it's airspace
What's good for the goose is good for the gander

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by howmuch4another

I did catch that. I also didn't catch any indicator that responses were given. No 'Up Yours' or anything else, for that matter. It actually makes me wonder a bit more about inexperienced, perhaps poorly trained defectors. Syria says recon flight ...but then, what would they say? 'Thanks for downing a couple real problems for us?'.

Perhaps it is just what it seems, but the uncertainty for knowing either way is what struck me about the tone of the event. At least how this one reports it.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

What was it hit with? Guns or missile? If it was hit by guns then it could easily have gone that far or farther before coming down. Gunfire could have started a fire, or created a problem the crew didn't realize they had, and it flew for awhile before catching fire, or coming apart.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

i wouldnt say there were any cameras right there..looks like it burned for a good time before anyone got there

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Syria's army acknowledged the helicopter had strayed into Turkish airspace for a short time while monitoring "terrorists" moving across the border into Syria, but said it was an accident and that the aircraft was on its way back when it was shot down.

news.yahoo.com...

theaviationist.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join