It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN: Syrian Chemical Attack Executed With Russian Rockets.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Rockets used in the Syrian chemical weapons attack bore Russian writing, United Nations inspectors have revealed.

The discovery of Cyrillic characters was disclosed in a long-awaited report today that also said there was “clear and compelling evidence” that they carried the nerve agent Sarin.

UN: Syrian Chemical Attack Executed With Russian Rockets.

We all know Russia is a high-demand supplier of arms to Syria, so this isn't totally out-of-the-ordinary; however, Syria rebels could have taken over an weapons depot, or cache warehouse, and obtained this weapons to fit with chemical agent.

When everything is out in the open, I am still confident that the Syrian army (even few general with grudges) executed this attack WITHOUT the direct approval of Assad.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Wouldn't it be something if Russia actually fired these chemical weapons?? Russia is really sending ships to the shores to keep Syria safe.....Maybe guilty?

Sorry just thinking out loud here, while everyone praises Putin, he is the mastermind behind it the whole time....(bum bum bummmm)

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
so what if they were russian rockets?

the AK-47 is Russian and the RPG you see in every movie ever, you can by that stuff all over the world 'easily'. Russian made military hardware of a HUGE range are available to those that know how to find it.

Who fired the rocket and possibly why is the question.
edit on 16-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I think both rebels and government used them. Who used them first and then second, and against whom are the real questions. Also I dont believe Assad himself ordered any chemical attack because he knew he was in a tough position. NATO had attacked libya before then and had warned assad against using them. The government always has better equipment than some rag tag army, ie tanks, airplanes, ships, artillery, helicopters, etc. Why the hell would he risk his reputation and his rule if does not need to? It doesnt make sense to me or most other people. Some rogue colonel or general may have taken it upon himself but blaming assad seems stupid.

I think UN and NATO are desperate. They were desperate to attack and now they are desperate to save face when russia called their bluff.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Short of actually stating Assad's side, all the evidence produced in the report actually points to someone in Assad's military firing these weapons.

I wasn't so sure previously and believed that all sides, including Russia, should stay away from commenting on what their intentions were with Syria. If, as it appears, Assad's military had anything to do with this, then he should feel the wrath of the world, not just Western society.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

There's already a lot of evidence the FSA terrorists did this attack. Even testimonies of their own admission. Russians arms are scattered over the whole world this doesn't really conclude anything. It make sense that the terrorists would try and frame the Russians and Assad.

edit on 16-9-2013 by StopThaZionistWorldOrder because: added vid

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The report also states that the missile trajectory came from an Easterly/South Easterly direction, which as Sky News so eloquently put it; make of that, what you will. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!!

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 16/9/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
As I just said in another, similar thread:

First, remember that when it comes to international politics, no one has clean hands. Russia is SAYING that the evidence points to the rebels but unless you've seen such evidence it doesn't exist. Keep firmly in mind that Russia has a basic business desire (everything's a business model) to keep Syria status quo. Hundreds of billons of dollars hang in the balance. They'll say and do anything to protect that.

Initially, like most people, I believed it was likely the rebels who had launched the attack hoping to draw US firepower into the fight on their behalf. However, Human Rights Watch and now the UN Mission have released their reports on what happened and it seems very, very unlikely that the 'opposition' launched the attack. Why?

1. The Aug 21st attack was carried out with 140mm and 330mm rockets KNOWN to be in the Syrian arsenal.

2. They carry ~20liters and ~50liters respectively. There were between 5 and 8 (depending upon sources) impacts in each of two areas of Damascus (16km apart) that would have required between 350 and 560 liters of Sarin. That is a lot!

3. The azimuth calculated at impact sites strongly indicates that multiple rocket launchers were used. It further suggests that the rockets were launched from government controlled military bases and/or areas.

4. The mixing and filling of rocket warheads requires specialized equipment and expertise.

Add to the forgoing the evidence presented by Western intelligence and the case is even stronger against Assad. We know that the opposition has been caught with nerve agents. And they may well have used them in the past (there have been 14+ incidents in Syria). But it seems very clear that as far as the August 21st attack is concerned, no way could the opposition have mounted that attack. They don't have the equipment, munitions and most especially the trunk-mounted launchers needs to fire the rockets.

I, too, suspected the opposition. But when the independent evidence came out and was duly analyzed by professionals, my position changed. If Russia has photographs of the opposition in possession of the launchers, munitions, and 130 gallons of Sarin used in this attack let me see them.

The 140mm rockets are Russian made and have to be launced from a truck-mounted launcher (usually a multiple launch platform). The 330mm rockets, however, are an Iranian design using a single-launch, truck-mounted platform. The HRW report suggested that the actual 330mm rockets were of Syrian production.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The entire reason we have this new deal is the Russians know that the more that comes out the more guilty Assad is. And that makes Russia look bad. If Assad was innocent we would see a completely different politcal game being played. In this case Assad screwed the Russians so the Russians are taking away his toys. The day the Russians started talking about this deal people who know how to read the politcal winds knew what that the UN report would be pointing at Assad. And of course they used Russian missles that is who they buy arms from. The rebels would be hard pressed to anything beyond a very primitive chemical attack. They just do not have that capability. If they did Assad would have been gassed already.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I'd say it removed the question of pure homemade vs. production. Now...did Assad forces use their stash or did Rebels use what defectors took with them and they've captured over the course of the war?

If it ever comes out that it had been done, not only by Assad's people but with his knowledge? I'd say he needs removed for criminal stupidity beyond a level safe to run a nation with. He'd have been using firecrackers (Sarin) when he has sticks of dynamite sitting right next to it (VX). Why use the little junk when he could, if he intended to, kill with total 100% result?

I don't seem to recall a lot of survivors among the Iraqi Kurds to tell the tale. Not many at all..... (As an example of professional military deployment of Chem agents) Here? The casualties were the exception, not the rule. That, all by itself, speaks volumes and volumes about the level of skill and knowledge of who deployed them. Was this really the highly trained chemical corps which any nation that has made these invariably creates to handle them? It doesn't strike me as likely on any level?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Without naming the perpetrator, Ban said the attack was “the most signficant” use of chemical weapons since late Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein killed thousands in the town of Halabja in 1988.

“The information provided in that report that the sarin agent was delivered on surface to surface rockets that only the Assad regime has, makes clear the responsibility,” White House spokesman Jay Carney said, AFP reported.

english.alarabiya.net...

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Assad is guilty as sin.

The hardware, the expertise, and the vast amounts used prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was Assad's military that launched the chemical attacks.
Rebels at best could detonate an ied that would not be a massive air dispersal, most they could do is target a single corner of a street or a single building. Weaponized air bursts from Russian rockets, that is not something you can steal or find laying around, it takes special launchers, special missiles, agents that are specially kept separate from launchers till the order to use them has been made. Then they all come together by people who have expertise in preparing and launching the ordinance. Comparing this to finding a cache of rpgs and using them is a compete and utter joke. But Assad sympathisers along with West haters will eat it up like candy.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It doesn't matter if Putin supplied those rockets that delivered the chemical weapons. A lot of members will continue to slurp on Putin's testicles just because he's "standing up" to Obama, by writing op-ed's on the New York Times.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

It doesn't matter if Putin supplied those rockets that delivered the chemical weapons. A lot of members will continue to slurp on Putin's testicles just because he's "standing up" to Obama, by writing op-ed's on the New York Times.

What about the innocent victims in Mexico whom were killed by Obama supplying illegal arms to the drug cartel that they favor?

See what I did there?

Just because people supported what Putin said against our government in wanting to start a war, doesn't mean they are wanting to "slurp on Putin's testicles" (Your words). It just means that we are tired of going to war and killing innocent people for political agendas!!! Get it?

Perhaps you should look in the mirror for once and watch how your words make you look like you are slurping on Obama's testicles?????????

PS I think you have more in common with John McCain than you want to admit!

edit on 16-9-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

StopThaZionistWorldOrder

Posting a you tube video with the heading "USA did it", just isn't going to cut it anymore.
This claim is just freaking retarded at this point.
They are now proven to be Russian rockets.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
So, basically, it was Gen. Maher Assad who many claim to be the real power in Syria that pulled off the attack on the 21st. Seeing as how he is the one in control of their chemical weapons stockpile and the main facility from which these attacks were apparently launched he strikes me as the most logical one to have done the attacks. Combine that with reports that he suffered severe injuries last year and it makes him seem more and more guilty.

I am more then willing to believe that both sides have used CW's over the course of this civil war but this attack specifically seems to tie right back to the Syrian government.

Of course an official report from the UN by inspectors trained to detect and examine these things will ultimately mean absolutely little compared to various Youtube videos that while being very easy to fake are none-the-less held up as incontrovertible evidence that it was all the rebels.

I think the previous statement is correct, as long as Putin is pushing back against Obama for his own ends then there will be numerous people who jump on Russia's band wagon to keep up the hatred of the "bad black man" in the White House. It is really rather funny, if one has that sort of humor, that one of the few times Obama tried to do the right thing in a situation like this everyone immediately climbed up his ass for doing what the President is supposed to do.

We may not be the World's police men, but it seems these days like America is the only one still willing to wear that "shield" and try to do whats right even if we suck terribly at it.

I am also willing to bet that there are a few Russian "disinformation" agents trolling websites and commentary boards to keep this hatred going.

edit on 16-9-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Can't say I'm surprised by this. Russia supplies weapons to Assad all the time, I'm sure thats where they got the WMDs and chemical weapons from.

Russia is trying to keep this stuff under wraps so cover their butss, but I don't think they can do it for much longer. Soon more evidence will come out and then the finger will be pointing at them. They are just as guilty as Assad in my opinion.

-SAP-

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Cobaltic1978
The report also states that the missile trajectory came from an Easterly/South Easterly direction, which as Sky News so eloquently put it; make of that, what you will. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!!

Really?

In this Gaurdian article it states from a North Westerly position...

Sellström also said the rockets used were professionally made. His report said they were fired from the north-west, and western officials said the details of the trajectories confirmed that they came from an area held by government troops.

Source

Not that it matters much, after all, the position from where the weapons were launched, is not proof of guilt.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join