It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Aluminum Airship of the Future Has Finally Flown

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I read about these several years ago in popular science or was it mechanics....can't remember wich. Anyway I thought when I read it would be a great idea but at the same time figured it would never be built like so many other great ideas. Those would be perfect for hauling cargo across the country and far safer than many other means. I think I read they are extremely fuel efficient as well.

It would be so cool to see the sky's filled with them one day. Also they are way to big for surveillance one could be made for that but it would only need to be a fraction of the size.

I have seen designs for drones that utilize helium in the wings solar panels to recharge and are built to be more like gliders so they can stay airborne almost indefinitely aside from weather conditions. They are still in development.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Is it running with helium? Can it be used in cars and bikes?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HiddenSecrets

No the helium would be in the wings to make it lite. Only combustible gas would be usefull in engines.

Except in their are some engines that used compressed air for cars and forklifts but the driving force is the compression. Using other gasses wouldn't be any more beneficial.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Next time I am gonna get helium in my tummy then I will go to doctor for my weight test
. We can lighter the vehicle so it will run faster.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   

MarsSentinel
It's not cool at all. I mean - don't you wonder what they're gonna USE it for?

Surveillance, anyone?

More. Damn. Surveillance.

remember - the peole behind the cameras and the guns and the armored trucks are just dudes.

They aren't "special" people or "heroes". They are dudes just like you and your cousin Larry.

You trust Larry with your life?

Then why would you trust anyone else?

These things are NOT cool.

We need more caves. It's the only way to survive.

You there, quick, go find one. Go in it and wait there.

We'll all be in soon.

*chirp chirp chirp*

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

Reminds me of the Hindenberg. Doesn't look much like the future to me.

Except the two things that the article mentions.

it's not made out of flammable material (edited).

It's not made out of flammable gas.

The two main reasons why the hindenburg put an end to the idea.

Wow.. lol..

"I have an idea for a technology to communicate via phones and computers!"

"SPY! DIE IN A FIRE. I ALREADY HAVE A CB. YOU'RE A SPY!"

no internet.. imagine if it were today.

edit on 17-9-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

rickymouse
I thought there was a helium shortage. Maybe we only have a shortage because they want the helium for these ships. Well, so who cares if people can't afford to buy their kids helium balloons anyway. I still can't understand how there could be a helium shortage. Maybe there really isn't. maybe they want to raise the price of helium balloons.

???

Everyone knows you can make helium by squeezing a clown.

Shortage? You mean midgets?

That's not very polite, they are considered dwarves these days. You can get into a lot of trouble squeezing a dwarf.

This thing, at least it should put an end to CGI videos. Now they can actually go "Ooh ooh oooooohhhh tis E.T. run quick!!" and have something on camera.

more of the same. planes, planes and pleiadians...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   

rickymouse
I thought there was a helium shortage. Maybe we only have a shortage because they want the helium for these ships. Well, so who cares if people can't afford to buy their kids helium balloons anyway. I still can't understand how there could be a helium shortage. Maybe there really isn't. maybe they want to raise the price of helium balloons.

i too heard that helium will run out by 2035

im off to check where helium comes from or how its made

well found this

Here is the craziest part: That helium was not around when Earth formed. So where did it come from??? Well, it is constantly being produced by the radioactive decay (like in a nuclear reactor) of the elements thorium and uranium

The radioactive decay of these elements ejects alpha particles, which are pretty much the same thing as helium atoms. This produces around 3000 metric tons of helium per year in the earth's crust! That is where almost all our helium comes from! - See more at: www.scienceminusdetails.com...
edit on 17/9/2013 by maryhinge because: well found this part

edit on 17/9/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Lol aye but its going to be delivered via small plane, snowmachine, barge, if they are lucky semi in the winter but chances are its giong to be small planes for mail, and barge for larger items.

Grim

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Oh this machine has been built for transporting goods? lol

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

HiddenSecrets

Cool!
Finally, a flying Airstream trailer:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Arbitrageur
reply to post by pikestaff

You're right, and the author of the story the OP linked to is wrong, claiming it had a wood frame.

You can even see a salvaged piece of the frame here, and it's definitely not wood (They call it duralumin):

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 16-9-2013 by Arbitrageur because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the reply, did not know it was duralamin, thats a mixture of Aluminum and about %5 copper.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
One thing is for sure....

When they build the real size one and possibly larger ones after that including the "floating hotels" idea - thats going to be SOME SIGHT.

As the more luxurious hotel in the world as big as a sky scraper floats over the top of you with a creepy slience

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

The Aeroscraft will cruise at 115 mph — a lot slower than the average 567 mph of a 747-400 jet. But the company argues that because the ship can take the cargo directly from its origin to destination — without going through airports or ports — it can actually deliver goods more quickly than a plane.
Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

Not to bad especially if it can cruise at that speed fully loaded.

The Aeroscraft is built to meet military specifications. Bullets don't pierce its skin. And unlike a balloon, it won't collapse if something does create a hole.
Probably a good idea in some areas of the world...
On a full tank of diesel, the 66-ton version can fly 3,567 miles with a full payload, and the 250-ton can go nearly 7,000 miles.
The range with extra internal tanks could be easily extended but as it is currently planned; not to bad fully loaded...
Ok nothing is written in stone but they expect to deliver their first ship in 2015. They are planning for these aerocraft to be for lease. 30 million to 55 million $ depending on the model per year and they say they have customers already (probably military at those prices?). That is all I was able to find to add.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

neformore
Paint it Green and its almost a ringer for Thunderbird 2

YES! FINALLY ATS pays off. A smile! I got a smile from this reference. Thanks! I loved that stuff. Thunderbirds are GO!
T2

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MarsSentinel

Thunderbird two THATS IT

Thats been bugging me all day!
edit on 18-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join