It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A MAJOR problem with "quotations" in the title....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I have a big big problem that has reared it's head with the new design..and I'm sorry for some people if you don't get replies from me at all right now. It isn't intentional...but spending minutes just to find which, of dozens of threads, at pure random chance a reply could have been to?? Well... It's not happening.

The issue is a simple one. When " marks appear in ANY title to a thread on ATS? They will 100% VANISH in the Message reply listing. I get "(name) replied to:" and a blank line. It's always been that way, but in the past, I had a choice of going to manually search a member name ....see their profile, and then pull their posts in a clean chronological order. Unless I was WAY behind on checking my replies box, then it was self evident which thread they must have made a reply to.

Now? No such option exists that I can find anywhere to see ONE members posts...Every post...in Chronological order. This was the only way such a bug could be worked with at all in the past ..and basically? It just makes replying to anything with those "'s in the title a pure random event of chance. It may happen...but likely won't and this is why.

Any idea of fixing?? Or perhaps even a few lines of code to literally strip the character out by brute force on every title being submitted?? Again, this ALWAYS broke the system...but now, the lack of any backup tool (That profile page listing) which works makes that break a total one.

edit on 16-9-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-9-2013 by SkepticOverlord because: added quotations for testing

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
This was an issue before the update as you say.

Doubt it can be fixed now either.

edit on 16-9-2013 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHawk

I have a bit more faith in S.O. and the dev team here than to just write it all off as 'Can't be fixed... Oh well'. Hopefully, it's an issue where they can take a moment to add the few lines of code required to address handling of a Quote within an otherwise normal string of characters. I don't believe it ought to be a hard fix as much as just one of a thousand little things S.O. is surely dealing with right now.

However, if no one says anything, they can never know the need exists. Assuming they know is how things stay broken, right?

Additionally, while this was a problem before...true... There was a work around in place by another feature before. Unless there is a way to sort user profile posts by chronology which I haven't noticed? Then the work around ceased to exist with the transition over.

That actually makes it something of a new problem with an old issue.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
* A note on this... I went back a few minutes ago to again, try and hunt down where those blank titled reply notifications in my box source back to ...and low and behold? Posts sort Chronologically now? Replies and Flags still sort by highest number in the category....as I'm 99.9% sure posts had too when I was just looking at that earlier?

I still haven't tracked down which thread had the quotes for the replies to be w/o title in my box here...but the post list at least makes it possible within a reasonable time frame.

* did that change or am I losing my marbles?? I SWEAR that had been sorting by most posts accumulated, like the other 2 categories to it's left on the Profile screen?
edit on 16-9-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Any idea of fixing??

I don't see it, and have never seen it.

What browser are you using?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

for me . . . UNTIL THIS MORNING . . .

Only 10-15% of the REPLIES listed in the msg page

have ANYTHING listed to the right--clickable or otherwise.

It NOW appears to be fixed. THX THX THX.

I'm using mostly IE latest version on a WIN 8 system.

IIRC, the same thing occurs in fireforx. Let me check.

Wellll, the later entries seem to have clickable referent thread posts on the right side, now.

Many lower down earlier entries in the REPLIES LIST still do NOT have anything to show up on the right side.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I'm using Chrome and Chromium at home. Primarly Chrome right now though. At school it's I.E. and Firefox with I.E. being the primary. All show the same thing. If need be, I can screen capture what my Reply box looks like with a couple of the threads using Quotes represented for the blank it shows.

I narrowed downthe thread earlier and it was "Two chemtrail tanker jets almost collide with fed-ex commercial aircraft" (Quotes are a part of the title, as listed). In that? I got:

----
Geobro replied in:
ATS - 15-9-2013 @ 12:28
----

As opposed to a normal one listing like:

----
727Sky replied in: Some of the latest findings on the origins of life. From
ATS - 15-9-2013 @ 13:42
----

The message which opens upon clicking the title also has blanks for the title of the thread being replied to in the first example.

*I hope neither person minds my using the actual title header. I thought about dropping name..but this is a reply notice to a public post ..and a second after removing one name, the header below it occurred to me as being almost as good, anyway..lol

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Testing a reply

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Testing another reply.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

This should confirm it was fixed.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

One last confirmation.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This should be resolved.

Some browsers were having trouble with the double-quote being passed. Double-quotes in thread subjects are switched to single-quotes in the private message reply alerts.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I think this is the same issue I was trying to describe in the bug report thread. Thanks for resolving it!

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Now, Overburdened SO,

the . . . problem . . .

seems to be that clicking on the X to the right of the list doesn't necessarily remove it from the bolded unviewed list. LOL.

Not a biggy. The recent ones are still on top and there by functional . . . yet . . . if in the next century, you have nothing better to do . . .

BTW, I gather there are no skilled takers on the color enhancements, additions? Wish I was skilled. Sorry.

new topics

top topics

join