It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Large Meteor May have just hit Tunisia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+49 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Translation from google translate:

Said Jewel FM radio that a large space meteorite has just landed in the south of Tunisia specifically in a desert area depopulated in Remada COR of the mandate of Tataouine and had heard a huge 3 loud explosions in the area.

This moved on the spot and units of the National Guard and the military to investigate and preview the meteor as confirmed by Maral Jewel FM

That is translated from this secondary link:
alikhbaria.com...

Original link, with pic of meteor:
www.jawharafm.net...
edit on Sun Sep 15th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

ETA: Now another link, reporting the same, with another pic:
www.tunisienumerique.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

S&F

Curious if there will be a video of this event

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I did a google search for Meteor in Tunisia and the first thing that came back was this thread right here on ATS. The picture is stunning, looks like when Space Shuttle Colombia exploded, however I'm pretty sure thats not a photo of the actual event (the picture on the ORIGINAL website is obviously an illustration). Until there is some further info YOU are google's go to source on this, which I find hilarious being that at this time this thread had no stars, flags, or even replies.
I did learn one interesting fact from this however: there is a place called Tatouaine in Tunisia, the actual film location where George Lucas filmed Tattooine (also in Tunisia) is not too terribly far far away.
edit on 15-9-2013 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Thanks for the info TA...I find this quite interesting.

I ran across a thread earlier talking about 5 different comets, not the same thing, I know, However, I can't help but wonder if all the comets have companions? Or, a debris field we are crossing.

The internet helps us get information faster these days, I guess. It is just strange that we are hearing about more of them these days. Internet or not....ya know???

S & F

ETA: the first one does look like a stock photo, don't know about the second. Still interesting.....

edit on 15-9-2013 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

pretty sure this particular pic is a stock photo

not that I mean to detract from the story itself which I do find interesting and will be following for more information. thanks
edit on 9/15/2013 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Seems like those UFOs are working extra hard these days protecting us from these meteors. They are the heroes we need, but don't deserve.

On a serious note, at this point I think we've passed the point of all these meteors being mere coincidences. Are we traveling through a meteor cloud, or perhaps changing magnetic fields of celestial bodies in our neighborhood is attracting meteors. Either way we have to stay vigilant at this point and carefully observe the sky and prepare as necessary.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I did a google image search and that particular photo has been used over and over again claiming it's from anywhere from East Germany in 2009 to San Fransico in 2011 to Tunisia in 2013. Thats just page one it may even go back further.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Yeah, thanks for contributing that pic. I was wondering too if these are all stock photos. I have no idea if this story is true. I just saw it on another site, and seemed interesting. Maybe we'll hear more about it soon. Maybe we won't. Dunno.

I did go to google and did my own translation of the links, so that much I can assure you is real.

Hey, I did put "MAY HAVE" in the thread title!

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I still don't see anything other than those initial articles. Someone posted those same article links to godlikeproductions.com, but no articles in English.

It would be nice to confirm this from a larger source. I guess I will just have to be patient while MSM catches up.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

sure is a beautiful pic of a fireball I can see why it is used as an excellent example which I am sure is how trueamerican meant it to be seen

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Thats the pic from the site that posted the story. As more sites are starting to report this there is no additional info AT ALL. What we have on this now may be all we get.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
There may be something to the impression that the number of meteor events have taken a sharp increase recently. According to the American Meteor Society the number of reported meteor "events" are as follows for the past ten years:

2005- 467
2006- 517
2007- 591
2008- 730
2009- 696
2010- 954
2011- 1632
2012- 2142
2013- 1955 (to date)

Now, the site doesn't say whether these are confirmed individual events, but the numbers suggest something unusual to me.

The AMS site has this to say about the numbers:

Circumstances effecting the number of reports and events collected by the AMS
There are circumstances affecting the data collected by the AMS that should be understood to prevent misinterpretation regarding the change of fireballs reported.

From January 2005 through December 2010 the AMS fireball reports system was based on the same data collection form and process created by Bob Lunsford in 2005.
In December 2010 the AMS fireball reporting system was upgraded to a database google maps system developed by Mike Hankey and company.
The new software made it much easier for witnesses to file reports and resulted in more witnesses successfully reporting events.
Internet traffic on the AMS site has increased since 2005. In current years, more people are connected with mobile devices, laptops and computers than ever before. This leads to more people reporting fireballs.
At least one huge event with over 100+ reports in 2009 was space trash, and there was at least 1 space trash event for 2012. The graph of 100+ events has not been adjusted to account for space trash.
A percentage of reports received are cloud contrails, planes, sun dogs or phenomenon other than fireball meteors. These reports are deleted when detected and generally tend to be events reported by only one witness.
In November 2012, the AMS fireball reporting software was upgraded again and this upgrade resulted in an immediate increase of reports received. It is believed that improvements to the user interface lessened the amount of form abandonment and other training issues that may have kept witnesses from successfully logging events on the previous version.

edit on 9/15/2013 by Montana because: To add info

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

Well, it said in one story three loud reports, so a fast traveller.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Montana
There may be something to the impression that the number of meteor events have taken a sharp increase recently. According to the American Meteor Society the number of reported meteor "events" are as follows for the past ten years:

No, the increase in numbers is just because more people know about the site, or some other gooblygook like that according to some on here.
edit on Sun Sep 15 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Quote Crash Course

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Here's a link for Tunisia Live . . . their official English website. Nothing of the meteor, yet.

www.tunisia-live.net...

Perhaps within 24 hours.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

i am sory Mr.TA..i think that not the true Picture..
look the date the blog below..
www.romancatholicimperialist.org...

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

I can see your logic on that one.......and yes, just wait, someone will.

Can we remember in Feburary of this year, we had an asteroid/meteor that was to pass below what our satellites orbit the earth? It was not supposed to cause a problem.......and we had a meteorite hit Russia. The same day. And No One was watching this meteor? Hmmmmm........

I had seen something on RT, that the Meteor is part of a family of meteors. Like 5 or 6 more are on the same trajectory as the one that hit Russia.

Sorry got off topic........

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

cheesy

i am sory Mr.TA..i think that not the true Picture..
look the date the blog below..
www.romancatholicimperialist.org...

Cheesy, or anyone for that matter, Can someone explain to a dense person, WHY the church is so into subject? When I found out the Vatican had an observatory, I was perplexed.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

Not sure why you are perplexed, but according to the Vatican the observatory is used to explore God's handiwork.

From the observatory FAQ:

Why is the Vatican interested in astronomy?
Initially it was for a practical reason, to reform the Julian Calendar, like so many national observatories that were started, e.g., to improve navigation at sea; later at the establishment of the present form of the Vatican Observatory in 1891, for an apologetic purpose, in the sense of defending the Catholic Church's positive regard for science; now to join in doing good science in a way that is possible, given the Vatican's other concerns, as part of the consequence that the Incarnation of Christ applies to all human activity.

edit on 9/15/2013 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

It would seem to me, they would be more interested in the bible, than seeing into space, Although, signs in the heavens shall appear....yadda, yadda......Ok, got your point. if you say so.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join