It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supervolcanic Ash Can Turn to Lava Miles from Eruption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Interesting that ash can turn I to lava and begin flowing.
I didn't realize the ash was that hot at such a distance from the eruption site.

Supervolcanoes, such as the one sitting dormant under Yellowstone National Park, are capable of producing eruptions thousands of times more powerful than normal volcanic eruptions. While they only happen every several thousand years, these eruptions have the potential to kill millions of people and animals due to the massive amount of heat and ash they release into the atmosphere.

Now, researchers at the University of Missouri have shown that the ash produced by supervolcanoes can be so hot that it has the ability to turn back into lava once it hits the ground tens of miles away from the original eruption

Source

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

WOW! Imagine that stuff raining down all around you. I have seen pictures of people walking in the falling ash with masks on, and I picture them having this stuff fall on them.

Thank you for the info.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

The volcanic ash from this eruption has to be at least 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit to turn into lava; however, since the ash should have lost some of that heat in the air, the researchers believe viscous heating accounted for 200 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit of additional heating to turn the ash into lava.

They believe it, so it is fact?...

I thought science was about facts... Surely this could have been tested to prove or disprove?

That's what I BELIEVED science was about, anyways... lol

Who knows, maybe it's true.

new topics

join