It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

great video from colorado. the entire town of salina is wiped out from flooding.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
here's another link with more information about the historic flooding. normally in september that area doesn't get a lot of rain. i think the fires left paths for the flooding to flow through more easily which exacerbated the situation.

crazy stuff.

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
People can act oddly when they're on camera; the emotion of being asked your opinion or what happened to you while the camera is running can be exhilarating even when the events leading up to it are scary.

I doubt they realize yet exactly what this devastation will mean to their own lives.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
This is really concerning, worried for people namely ATS members of the area ,and wonder why there's not more mention on ATS?

edit on 14-9-2013 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I know it's Daily Fail but it shows what's going on in pictures to add to the OP.

Surging floodwaters in Boulder led to the evacuation of some 4,000 residents late Thursday, almost 200 are unaccounted for

Five people dead and 172 missing as Colorado flood waters continue to rage, turning one town into an island
edit on 14-9-2013 by dreamingawake because: double post, added content

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Funny that is the same number I intuited.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

coul'nt agree more with you, hope such terrible weather does soon fade away

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
It's not good that people build houses in drainagaes, any more than it's not great that people build houses on the central florida coastline, as much as it's just plain silly.

There are, and have always been reasons people build in certain areas, it's almost as if the real estate developers disregard the fact some place may be a not-so-good place to build, never mind, it's just pretty, and the homebuilders go right along for the ride, and silly ass buyers can't see the risk?. Nope.

Just because one has the money, just because there aren't already house built there, just because they have lost the ability to exercise common sense?.

Think dammit, building a house in a drainage area (Along a mountain riverbed/ creek-bed), is about as stupid as building a house in an avalanche zone.

Oh, it's so sad they lost their houses and the invested resources, yes. And sadder still they haven't the ability to assess the risk of their decision and rely on insurance to pay for their stupidity.

Awwww, fkn tards.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
and today Aurora got HAIL!!!!! on top of all this..... hail. crazy!!

www.thedenverchannel.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I am glad to see happiness in the people even though their homes have been demolished and their lives uprooted. It's a decent time to get the community together and start working on a an organic shelter. Of course they could always stay with the family but it's be an interesting camping experience till winter hit.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

This was a great video as to how the story was presented no doubt about that. Don't let the people that bicker over semantics phase you. Some are still seeing left & right.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I would rethink my usage of the term great....usually applies to something that is fun or nice to watch....now a perhaps more subtle way....this was a video done under very trying circumstances but deserves to be watched...maybe I would say something like...the video you are about to watch is well made under the duress being experienced?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
An inconvenient truth coming home to roost.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I'm curious, having built a town in a canyon and the beautiful creek turning into a raging river, are they going to rebuild or learn a little something from nature, sorry if that seems a little crass but I would hope realism and common sense would take hold at some point.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Carreau
"Great video"? That is what you think is "great"?

Sad, terrible, destructive, devastating, heart-breaking, but I don't know of anyone who would call it "great".

Property developers love to buy cheap land, build some homes, flog them off for a profit before the owners realize the defects. By then the development company has liquidated and the directors moved on.

The worst defect and the cheapest land is in the flood plain of a river or creek.

There have been many instances where residents have placed warning signs like "flood plain - 50 metres along road" on their front yards, only to be taken to court by the property developer trying to sell homes.

This shows them up.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Battleline

i would hope so too. i couldn't imagine wanting to rebuild in the same spot..... but that's just me.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
If I believed in all the weather modification and harpp ring warfare info; I would have to wonder if Colorado is getting a spanking for voting out the Gun Control Lawmakers.

I didn't really look to see if its in the same area of Colorado, just kinda bored, waiting for California's equake to happen.

But, in honesty, Im the best I can be ready. Emergency equipment in faraday cage, food, water, etc etc.

I think I will join those guys filming. Hehe

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I'm down here in the southern, drier part of the state along the front range. No flooding here yet but I've seen flash floods.

Whether you live in a creek bed or on top of a mountain, our altitude makes flooding more deadly/destructive and unpredictable.

Not all affected people live in a floodplain. Drainage channels/creek beds etc. fill with sediment/debris/boulders from lahar like flows. As the water gets blocked, it redirects/digs new channels repeating as necessary taking out access roads/infrastructure. So you can be safe on high ground but now you can't get out. People/livestock are stranded everywhere. Entire towns are shut off.

From what some people are saying their location wasn't considered a floodplain, they didn't qualify for flood insurance. I'm not positive about that but it's what I'm hearing. Floodplains are expanding/shifting.

Some are saying this is a 500 - 1000 year event. It's turned the entire northern end of the front range into a massive drainage ditch. Suggesting we shouldn't live near the Rocky Mountains is ridiculous. What state doesn't experience the destructive forces of nature? Should tornado alley be abandoned? What about the Gulf states, east/west coast? Where should we all go where we won't be labeled as "getting what we deserve?" Who even thinks that's a normal reaction to tragic events? Maybe people shouldn't live/work in NYC because buildings fall down.

I left Gary, IN years ago because of crime. We paid high insurance premiums there because of crime, now we pay high premiums because of wildfire.

It's pretty much pick your poison. Give it time, we had to wait 500 years for this, at any moment a world of hurt could plop down on your head. You wouldn't have time to ponder whether you deserved it or not, you'd simply try to survive.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
That was actually a rather enjoyable video. I can see how it could be "great".
Yes the flood is tragic and going to be a difficult thing for people to overcome and re-build.

But, that couple, were just great!
I love the way they finished each others sentences. And how they maintained their calm and sense of humor (clearly aided by libation/other) was an excellent example of how people deal. I appreciate that they show this side of the tragedy instead of the common "all hope lost" emotional facet. Seeing people smiling and making due with trouble indicates what's awesome about humanity to me. Disaster coverage doesn't have to be all about the devastation.

It was an enjoyable documentation of what happened to that little town. There were beautiful shots of nature's power juxtaposition-ed by quaint and beautiful small town architecture. As much as I can't stand religion, I hope they can save that church - it's perfect.

Great video! Thanks!
edit on 15-9-2013 by gottaknow because: added info.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by gottaknow

you "get" me LOL! well said and i agree.

i'm still pretty blown away by the devastation in colorado right now. i have several friends there and luckily everyone i know is high and dry.... so far.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Your right but look at how people in tornado ally just keep doing it again and again and the people in New Jersey that are rebuilding at sea level until the next hurricane, the one s that live in wooded areas that burn and a couple of years latter are burned out again.

What I can't imagine is the insurance company's don't step up and say not us, your on your own like they have in areas of Florida ..............but then again that's just me, realism and common sense go hand in hand..........maybe I'm wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join