It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greendays new song American idiot

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by staver
Other than the profanity, which I've already stated I don't like it in music,
what's to disagree with?

We can chat in PTS

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
We can chat in PTS

Not online for that long, besides, never been there, sounds a little too
hard core for me. I usually leave here when people start arguing too much, cause you're never going to change anyone's mind, 'specially not on one of these type sites, where everyone pretty much has their mind made up already.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   
the only problem with billie joe's message is that most of the crowd at their concerts are made up of 12 year old teenie bopper girls, who can't vote and probably don't know who the hell george bush is, let alone care.

i think it's more a stab at authority as well, pretty much like warning, except american idiot the album focuses in on authority, as well as the war and george bush...sort of a theme i guess.

7 vma's...they've gotta be doing something right

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 04:29 AM
link   
i saw them recently.
awesome. one of the best rock concerts i've ever been to. just awesome energy and interaction with the crowd.
and it wasn't all young girls, at all. there were tons of parents, grandparents and whatnot. and even little kids, like eight yrs. old. what i was surprised by, was how much the older dudes and dudettes were enjoying it(a lot).
it seems many people don't want to be an american idiot, either.

fine them? yeah okay, stalin. let's string up some hippies while we're at it. and let's send peacniks off to gitmo for a nice long vacation.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I have to agree with some of the posters in here about freedom of speech. They definitely have the right to express their opinion.

The troubling aspect to me is that they are doing it in a technique which glorifys the lowest common denominator in style and appeal to peoples baser instincts. This too is not new. I have seen to much of this over the years such that you realize it is another xerox copy of that to which so many bands in years past have done. You just punch in 50 and you get fifty copys of the same pattern spewed out into the recieving tray.

Are there any bands with real style and originality who can do something not at the lowest common denominator and pass it off as high ground??? Morality??

AWP's point about the founding fathers. I tend to agree..with the concept of free speach and venting opinion ..but I doubt very much that they would approve of a technique using the lowest common denominator and vulgarity. I am sure the founders knew where and when to use vulgarity and this isnt it.

Infinite8's comment about a media controlled nation..is also pretty much right on ..this avenue, music, is part of the media controlled nation. As to MTV...well...look at the audience to which it primarily appeals. Very young people with active glands and emotions often superceedng brain power. A very easy group to put on the string and control. Well done Infinite8

And Magic's comment about not using this type of cool ..lacking thoughtfulness and insight.
Magic posted:

"Now they are reduced to offering just another "sing along in the age of paranoia." The exact same paranoia they are pushing on their credulous fans. "

I pretty much agree. The creativity of many bands is not there only emotional jag at the lowest common denominator used or misused by the media to keep people on a string.

Where are the originality and class act groups??? They are long overdue. By their very abscence I am forced to wonder if the Media would be hard pressed to use them to put people on a string.?? Hence the public seldome sees them. Is it time for a anti media song?????

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
In that case you should also be fined by leting out your opinion about them, or anithing else.
""Unless you say something that makes everybody happy, gugugugu.""
*A rainbow pops out of screen to the theme song of the gummy bears, pink bunnies start hopping arround, the carebares show up and hug you all at the same time, Barney gives you first prize for being the nicest kid there is and then Jesus tucks you in for bed time and reads you out of the bible*

[edit on 31-8-2005 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
No, Greenday shouldn't be fined for exercising their freedom of speech. That being said, Green Day as a band SUCKS
I really can't get too upset over a few morons wearing mascara slamming America. I mean, if you really read the lyrics and think about it... Green Day IS the epitome of the "American Idiot!"

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
I mean, if you really read the lyrics and think about it... Green Day IS the epitome of the "American Idiot!"

There you go.

I mean how can you say that your punks and make millions of dollars with musik
that barely even resebles any form of rock (except bad rock and their1st album was a little bit better).
I mean they mutated from teenage wanabe punks to old "we use the image to sell" punks. They suck, if anyone likes them, I hope its beacuse of their music (which sucks) and not because of their hot air image and personalities.
If you want to listen to punk musik, try:
The Ramones
The Misfits
sex pistols
NOFX
Millencolin
Mad Caddies
Rise Against
And if you like them, you might also like:
Ska-p (spanish ska)
Reel Big Fish
Sublime
Have a nice time, support real misicians. Listen to real musik. Rock On
Ps: I'n not trying to look as if i was a punk. I know some and I like the musik and I hate fascists. But I live in a normal house and buy normal things and went to school... So I'm not a punk and don't want to be one. But if you do, its your choice.
By the way I think its actually good for the system if young teeni girls think thats wat being a punk is about. Then tey will never go looking for the deep political/social reasons that led to the creation of punks, ois, skins... Well I guess the author on the thread is write in one thing, Greenda doesn't realy know what ther talking about. But hey lets go demonstrate against Globalisatiion and then eat up at MacDonalds.

Have a nice day

[edit on 31-8-2005 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I like so many others said that Greenday is entitled to voice thier opinion.
I did not say they should be fined for doing so.
Greenday is also most certainly entitled to confirm our opinions about the "Lowest Common Denominator."

Dark Flame ...some of us are not intrested in such histronics as "They should be fined for voicing thier opinions." This is the technique of people who are insecure and live for their emotions. This kind of emotionalism is what often passes for news and information now days...even for excellence which it is not.

What some of us are looking for is a band which can get a view across that is not of the "lowest common denominator" and shows some originality even thoughtfullness. Not tip toe through the tulips sugar coating but originality above the gutter level. Think it through and leave the emotions at home please.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I personally think that it's a brilliant song that speaks nothing but the truth. People all around the world should hear it. But this has been stated time and time again. Just my oppinion is all...

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
more than ever the song takes on a life of its own go green day.....

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Personally, Green Day has both impressed me/disheartened me at the same time.

They seemed to have a "coming of age" about the same time I did....

Now they pay attention to politics......

Damn..........I remember the days when I didn't have to, listening to Green Day and running around as a teenager

In all seriousness, it seems that this is more a "coming of age" and taking a look at what's going on around them album.

I honestly have more respect for Green Day as a band than I did before...they're no longer just a "garage punk" band, but they have social/political views to express, too......

Guess everyone has to grow up sometime, eh?

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
no it should not be fined. it might have a message but it's an old worn out one, arbitrary at that. blah,blah,blah is all I hear. they exploited the current state of the nation to sell albums just the way the government did to control oil and under unseen reasons. I will applaud a solution not the same old anti-propaganda propaganda. less than fifty percent of the nation voted so it's obvious that this country has problems. write songs with a solution and stop pretending to be profound.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
the fact that this is even a discussion amazes me. its not a new or that much of a rebellion.

and like many before me have said, its all for the money of the 12 year olds.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Should they be fined for this? even though its freedom of speech

LOL i think they had people like you in mind when they wrote that song.

How ironic

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by quietwar
the fact that this is even a discussion amazes me. its not a new or that much of a rebellion.

and like many before me have said, its all for the money of the 12 year olds.

it's not, 'love, love me do, you know i love you, so plee-ee-ee-eeze, love me do, yeah, love me do, someone who cares, someone like you, someone to love, something something something blah blah.

these twelve year olds are getting an education.
it's edutainment.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
they should be rewarded

[edit on C:Satocu10e10 by Opus]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Hmmm, look at that..

Republican Response

Greenday sucks! Bush is God! How dare anyone criticize him! Grenday band is a traitor band and need to be executed!

Everyone Else

They aren't punk, they sold out, what's up with the cuss words? Although they do have some good songs on the cd.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Hahahahaha. Green Day hahaha. I rather suffer through Hawthorne Heights and saw my own head off slowly with a hacksaw.

excuse me while I go play some Avril.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Yeah Green Day sucks

Dookie came out in like 94 or 95 followed by Insomniac, that's the only good albums they've ever made.

[edit on 24/10/2005 by SportyMB]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join