It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(TFWC) Not the End

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Not the End: Roswell Baby Part 2

Ryan opened the door...."Officer," he nodded.
The cop pushed his hat back, further off his forehead..."Dr. Ryan Brown?" he asked.
"That's me, what can I do for you?"
"I just have a couple of questions," the officer explained. "I'm looking for a woman."
"Aren't we all?" Ryan quipped. He held his breath waiting for the policeman to...laugh? Smile.
"Okay, smile is good!" he thought.

"Ya...I'm looking for a particular woman...let me make myself clear." He smiled again.
Ryan winced. He immediately thought about Aerie.
"Okay. You DO know that doctor-patient information is confidential?"
"Ya...about that. Let me see, you were a journalism student...but then you became a psychiatrist? And then you became a writer?"
"Well, I was ALWAYS a writer...but yes, eventually I became a published author." Ryan grinned a little too smugly. "What is the name of the woman you're looking for?" he asked.

The officer shifted his weight, almost impatiently.
"I don't HAVE a name," he said. "We're going on 'sightings' right now, and she was possibly 'sighted' entering your office."
"Ummm...okay. What day?" Ryan was trying to buy time. "That will narrow down who may have been here that day?"
"Ya...good start. Okay...that would have been...Thursday." He looked up expectantly.
"Let me grab my appointment book." Ryan walked over to his desk, picked up his book and flipped the pages back to Thursday. Thankfully he hadn't written Aerie's visit down on that day.
"Let's see...here are the names for Thursday...umm....should I be asking if you have a search warrant?"
"As I stated earlier, names aren't going to help me. No, I don't have a search warrant...at this time. I just want to know if you've been visited by a young woman with long black hair. Recently."

Ryan exhaled deeply. Aerie was blonde.
"No sir. All my contacts for Thursday are logged here and accounted for. If you do need more information, I have names and addresses, but like I said...I believe you would need a warrant for that info."
"Ya...okay. Thanks for your time." With that, he turned around and headed back to his cruiser.
Ryan closed the door and leaned back against it.
"Damn. If they're not looking for Aerie, who ARE they looking for?" he wondered.

Heading over to the credenza, he pulled out the bottle of Baileys. Throwing back a quick shot, he thought to himself, "This woman's gonna make me an alcoholic."
"Ahh...dulling the senses again?" Aerie's voice was heard distinctly.
"Oh, so now you're in my head?" he asked. "You shoulda been in there when that cop was here!" he yelled to the empty room.
"I heard it all," she laughed. "I'm in the kitchen."

Ryan walked through the doorway into his kitchen. Aerie was sitting on the countertop, swinging her legs like a small child. She had a mischievous grin on her face....and long black hair.
"Oh dear God!" he exclaimed. "How? So they ARE looking for you? I mean, come on....how??"
She wound a strand of hair around her fingers coyly, and replied, "We never really did get to discuss my...abilities... did we?"
Losing his composure, Ryan squatted down on his haunches and put his hand up to his forehead.
"I think I'm losing it," he said quietly.
"Well if you're gonna go...go big!" Aerie jumped down off the counter. "Watch this," she instructed.
He lifted his chin to meet her gaze. "Okay, why not. Show me what you got."

As she stood there in front of him, she slowly appeared to go out of focus. Her appearance became faint, and then suddenly she was gone...but a puff of smoke remained where she had been standing. Before Ryan could even comprehend what he was seeing, she reappeared in her original form, blonde hair and all.
Without a word, he got up and returned to the desk for the liquer. One shot...then another.
"That's not going to help!" she called out to him.
"Oh it's helping!" he replied, walking back in to stand facing her. "Right now, I need to blame this on the alcohol. Or calm down. Or...both." He put his hands up and gave a little shrug.

Aerie took his hand and gave him a sympathetic smile. "I think you need to meet my mother."
"I thought your mother had passed away?" Ryan responded.
"She has. Now. But 20 years ago, she could have explained a lot to you."
"That doesn't really help me now, does it?" He was getting exasperated.
"What if I told you that we could go back...?"
"Oh...suuuure....let's just hop back 20 years and go have tea with your mother!"
"Why not?" Aerie was grinning like a Cheshire cat. "Oh, and mom drinks coffee. With Baileys.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
You have a skill for crafting dialogue... the way your characters interact with each other makes it very easy to understand their personality traits...

i love the humor, it's perfect in it's subtlety

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ph03n1x

Aww hey Ph03n1x....thank you!
I really appreciate your support.
I've gotta admit, I'm getting kind of attached to Ryan and Aerie, lol....
Again....thank you!!
jacygirl

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Now this story was a pleasure to read. Mysterious, open ended, and leaving one wanting more.

Excellent grammar and punctuation, kudos for a job well done. SnF.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Wow Druid....that is quite a compliment, thank you so much!
I have just been loving writing this lol....getting positive feedback from you kind folk is icing on the cake!
Again, thank you!
jacygirl
(Gonna have to start putting TWO smiley faces, hehe)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Attached is one word for it, At this point i am paranoid what you might do to them when Halloween comes around...

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Ph03n1x

Attached is one word for it, At this point i am paranoid what you might do to them when Halloween comes around...

Ohhh! Hahaha...I am literally ROFL at that! I'm working on more right now, and I just had that exact same thought! (seriously laughing....I just snorted!)
I think....after considering this for a couple of minutes (before I saw your post)...I think perhaps for Halloween I will just torment the readers, and not my beloved couple!
But that would suck for me, because I love happy endings, lol.
*sigh*
jacygirl

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Not the End Part 2

"Aha!!" Ryan jumped up and waved his finger in Aerie's face. "They didn't HAVE Baileys 20 years ago!" he exclaimed.
"I know that...I take her some when I go back." Aerie grinned at his dramatics.
"Oh, what do you do? Put it in your time machine?" he asked arrogantly.
"No. I put it in my pocket, silly. I don't have a time machine." Aerie smiled demurely.
Ryan stopped pacing around and threw himself into a chair.
"Then how do you get there, if you don't have a machine?" he asked more quietly. He was clearly getting anxious, and somewhat afraid of her next answer.

"Well, it's like this." Aerie seated herself opposite him. "It all comes down to focus...and intent. I focus on where/who I want to be...and it becomes my reality."
Ryan looked really confused now. "So is it really reality then? I mean...if you go back 20 years to see your mother, aren't you already there?"
"Yes. Yes I am there."
"So then there's 2 of you?" He shook his head, desperately trying to make logical sense of this.
"Logic is not going to help you." Aerie said softly. "What we are talking about is something that to me...is like an instinct. I just KNOW that I can do it. Humans, at this point in time, are not capable of understanding just how many of their 'sensors' are unattainable."

"Ahh...unattainable sensors...now that really explains a lot to me." Ryan's response was utterly sarcastic.
"Do you want to talk? Or travel?" Aerie was never sarcastic Amused? Definitely.
"Oh talk! I want us to talk and talk until I understand exactly what's gonna happen to me! Do I get stuffed in a pocket too?"
"Aww...THERE he is...the boy inside the man."
"She just said that IN my head!" Ryan slid to the edge of his chair. "Can I stop you doing that?" he asked.
"No. No you cannot. And, no I don't shrink you down, and stuff you in my pocket. All we do is wrap our arms around each other...as in an embrace." She smirked and looked away.
"Hah, better start talking faster!" For once he had liked her answer.

"Don't you want to know about the sensors?" she asked.
"Yes, actually I do. Please...go on."
"Okay. Well you know that humans use a very small percentage of their brain?" she tilted her head and looked quizzically at Ryan. He nodded for her to continue.
"It's not just the brain. Yes, the brain is capable of much more...but this...this ability...is more like a natural instinct to me. How do I explain this? Okay, a baby. A baby is born with limited instincts, but they're there. A baby instinctually roots for it's mother's nipple to feed. Infants of different species have different instincts. Not all of them rely on a parent for food...others rely on both parents. Are you with me so far?"

"You know a small percentage of my brain is VERY well educated!" Ryan exclaimed rather hurt. This time Aerie laughed out loud.
"I'm just trying to keep you interested..." she said.
"Oh trust me, I'm interested." They both looked away.
"I'll keep going then. Different species are like different worlds. They have instincts to protect them in their environment. Humans are not in an evironment that is 'natural' to humans. Their instincts are limited, because the reactional sensors that stimulate instincts...are disconnected, so to speak."

"We're not in our natural environment? We are disconnected? Do you know what that sounds like you are saying?" Ryan stood up and started pacing the floor. "I mean, I studied journalism...and psychiatry...and English...but I'm just not sure how well I'm handling this." He looked sad now. Forlorn.
"Aww...it's not scary. It's all actually quite beautiful." Aerie walked over to Ryan and lifted her arms to console him. He jumped away.
"Whoa! I'm not ready to go just yet!" Aerie looked confused for a moment, then grinned as she said, "I was just trying to hug you."

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
" A small percentage of my bran is very well educated" that is the kind of thing that i would say..... haha

i love these characters... i want a movie or tv show, it would be better than half the crap released nowadays

Anyhoo just thought i would come by and give this a Bump..... keep up the good work buddy

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Ph03n1x

Hey friend!
I think you and I have a similar sense of humour, lol.
Thanks for the support...and the *bump*.
You know, I realized that a lot of us writing in the competition are happy to star & flag each other's work, even though we're in a 'competition'! To me, that says a lot about us.
I think your story is great, and I'd love to see you achieve 'writer' status too!
Thank you for stopping by!!
jacygirl

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I agree, i will gladly S+F others work for me it's not about winning it's more a learning curve and i read other peoples work to see how i can improve my own.

yes our sense of humour is definitely similar, subtle one liners and cheeky innuendo is the basis for all great funnies

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Not the End Part 3

Aerie stood on her tiptoes and gave Ryan an awkward hug. He flinched a little, still nervous that they might trigger a time travel episode.
"It doesn't work like that," she said.
"Huh?" He liked the feeling of holding her against him, even for a brief moment.
"We won't just take off!" she laughed. "There's an entire process that I have to go through in my mind, and you can't go anywhere unless you assist the process."
"Ohhhh...okay...there's a process..." he was still thinking about how good she felt in his arms.

Ryan backed away from her and unconsciously licked his lips.
"We'll get there," Aerie murmured.
"Montana?" Ryan asked.
"Were you just thinking about Montana?"
"Umm...nooo..."
"Right! Take it slow. We will get there." She smiled at him. Of course she knew he was imagining kissing her, but for now she still had some explaining to do.

"Hey," he just thought of something. "How come you can read my thoughts...and we can talk in my head...but I can't read YOUR thoughts?" he inquired.
"Remember I mentioned unattainable sensors? Well humans have a lot of disconnections in the brain. You actually have the ability to do all that I am able...however, you have kind of been disabled."
"Like on purpose?" Ryan was still grasping to understand her.
"Well, yes and no. Some things have been done experimentally...which leads to 'kind of' on purpose. Other things are simply not developed yet."

She walked over to his desk and looked down at the phone and answering machine. She pulled out the phone cord connected to the machine and held the end up for him to see.
"For you...I am like this phone cord. When we put our foreheads together, it's like plugging in the cord. Your brainwaves become in sync with mine...and then the two of us work together...just like this phone and this answering device!" She did a little jump and clapped her hands, happy with her own explanation.
"All I know is that I plug it in and it works," Ryan replied. He had obviously not quite understood her example.
"Hey," he said, "Should I put a new message on there telling people that I will be away?" he asked earnestly.
"Oh, no...that's not necessary. No one is going to know, because we will return back to the same day we leave."
"We can do that?"
"Yes, yes we can."

"What about your mother, Aerie? Won't it scare her if the two of us just pop into her world?" Ryan was still using logical thought to circumvent problems that didn't exist. Aerie laughed, and threw herself into his swivel desk chair. She turned it around a couple of times then stopped to face him directly.
"Mom knows we're coming!" she announced. "I go back often. I told her that I found you, and that things were progressing well. She even has some clothes there for you now."
"Ohhh..." Ryan processed what she had just said. "What do you mean, 'progressing well'?" he asked.
"I mean that...I found you...and things are going well...and..." she trailed off.
"You LIKE me! That's what you mean, isn't it?" Without giving her a chance to answer, he sauntered off to the kitchen with a big grin on his face.
"I'm going to make some coffee! You want a coffee and Baileys? It's time to celebrate!"
Aerie put her head back against the chair, closed her eyes, and with one foot...sent the chair spinning in a clockwise direction. She felt happy...definitely happy.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Hey there!

I just had a chance to read this! In fact, I hadn't even seen that you'd posted it until just now...
A really good read - I love the dialog, the storyline and the characters are intriguing and fun. Great continuation of your story! S&F!

peace to you,
AB

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by AboveBoard

Hi AboveBoard, and thank you so much for the kind words!
I had to go out of town to a funeral, and haven't been on ATS lately...but will definitely be reading your own story shortly!
Again....thank you!
jacygirl

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Wow Jacy!!! This story Rocks! I love the pace, and the interactions of characters.

Just Incredible Work here Young Lady!!!

I'm awestruck!!

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Sheesh, you're making me blush!

Thank you so much!

jacy

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

new topics