It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Economy and War. Something fishy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
In the US we are under a general idea that was taught in the Public FOOL system.

that the great depression lasted through the 30's and then there was WW2. And it was the war the supposedly brought the nation out of depression.

This is the consensus no?

So, there HAS to be a Conspiracy somewhere in there! War get you out of depression, or not?

cant be both can it? how?

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

I think the history shows World War II did bring us out of the depression and the raging boom of the 50's, but wow.. talk about the way not to try and do things. lol..... If done for that reason, it's the gamble of all time. If you're wrong or misjudge? Well, it's not a crappy economy to worry about, but saluting a different flag and prison for the national leader who took the gamble.

I think the U.S. would also have come out of the depression without the War and was already starting in that direction...but it wouldn't have exploded into the Superpower it became. After all, we were a near 3rd world military in 1941. It was the war that Super-charged every industry and turned a sleepy nation into an outright industrial powerhouse. The numbers of things manufactured for the war alone are just staggering to see.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

War has, and always will be profitable to a few and ruinous to the rest.

The economy nowadays is very different from the WWII economy. Back then you had US factories working overtime to produce material for the war effort. Women were encouraged to take these jobs so that the men could fight overseas. Everyone had a job working at a factory, so of course there was little or no unemployment.

Today, you have the military industrial complex. Ratheon, General Dynamics, etc. stand to make ALOT of money when war rears its ugly head. That money does not go to the pockets of the common man, it goes to make the military industrial complex more wealthy. A war on the scale of WWII would totally bankrupt the US in todays economy, it would not have the same effect as it did in WWII.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Massive government spending for the war finally ended the depression. I've always wondered where all this money came from, if they only had a little bit to spend on relief and make-work programs before the war.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

WW1 was a direct result of the monetary system changing, it occurred only a few years after the Federal Reserve came into being. WW2 was a result of the same change, although the depression was caused by the monetary policy change WW2 was both caused by the change in monetary policy and to fix the depression

I don't think anyone really saw it for what it was at the time, and maybe the FED didn't really intend for it to happen the way it did. I think most events in history occur spuriously through manipulation, selfishness and the desire for personal gain, without any real "plan" other than to react to events in order to gain from them.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Straight from somebody who was there at the time:

"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men." -Woodrow Wilson, after signing the Federal Reserve into existence.

Same old #e, different day....

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

starviego
Massive government spending for the war finally ended the depression. I've always wondered where all this money came from, if they only had a little bit to spend on relief and make-work programs before the war.

The money came from war bonds, plus not everyone was poor, don't forget some big industrialists financed the nazi's in the 1930's. Hitler went to war because Germany was bankrupt after spending all the loans and taxes on autobahns and armaments.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I think the reason for the boom was the factories. Cant blame people on welfare if there aren't enough jobs.

My idea is that we every factory outside of America was bombed. we almost had monopoly of factories post ww2.

and the war reparations..

sure was a lot of icing on the CAKE back then..

SO, in one way war ends depressions... then later on it causes them?

gotta be a conspiracy there somewhere.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

wrabbit2000

I think the history shows World War II did bring us out of the depression and the raging boom of the 50's, but wow.. talk about the way not to try and do things. lol..... If done for that reason, it's the gamble of all time. If you're wrong or misjudge? Well, it's not a crappy economy to worry about, but saluting a different flag and prison for the national leader who took the gamble.

I think the U.S. would also have come out of the depression without the War and was already starting in that direction...but it wouldn't have exploded into the Superpower it became. After all, we were a near 3rd world military in 1941. It was the war that Super-charged every industry and turned a sleepy nation into an outright industrial powerhouse. The numbers of things manufactured for the war alone are just staggering to see.

I agree and disagree, if thats possible. WW2 did get us out of a depression but at the cost of rising Americas debt. Because of WW2, America was forced to increase spending for the war effort. Increase our debt to GDP ratio to 140% +.

After the war, the expansion continued into the privet sector after the establishment of the Bretton woods agreement and the rebuilding of Europe. Think of all that time and money spent to rebuild as opposed to never having a war in the first place. If there was never a war, that time and money would have been focused in innovation rather than the rebuilding of once established cities.

edit on 13-9-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Hi,
War keeps economics as a system of trade in place.

They go hand in hand; they need each other in order to exist.

That's messed up, because people shouldn't have to depend on one or the other (war/economics) in order to survive as a civilization.

We should depend upon each other...and practice civility while we're at it.

It's a shame that we depend upon the sociopaths (uncivilized) to lead us to war every time their chewing gum loses it's flavor.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

pikestaff
The money came from war bonds, plus not everyone was poor, don't forget some big industrialists financed the nazi's in the 1930's.

And where did all the money for war bonds come from? And why was this great fund of money not used to pull us out of the depression years earlier?

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a large amount of gold was liberated from japan after the war which had in turn been taken from china the amount of gold mined in history is a tale reports of the gold taken in ww2 just from japan are 6000+ tonns .

eisenhower warned the public in his last speech to the people that the war machine was taking over before ww2 great britian had been the power and the pound the world reserve currency .

90+ % of germany's money that poured into the country pre ww2 had come from jewish sources including the bush family banks and where did all the oil to keep the war machine going come from .

now the dollar is the standard for the world but that could be soon to end by the yuan by those that play both sides of the game the same people the queen of england bows to and asks permission to enter the 1 sq mile city of london

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The U.S. wants to boogie with Iran because Iran is selling oil in currencies other than USD, Syria is just a way to get closer to Iran indirectly to stop this from happening. Saddam tried the same thing, and Iraq was attacked for the same reason.

Nixon weaned the USD from gold, making oil the supporting commodity.

Everything is made of oil.

USPD, US Petro-Dollar.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

There are a few good videos that have been ported to youtube on the subject of the great depression. While the war did help a lot, there were other factors that contributed to it's ending. Actually the best video I've watched on it, is now also on netflix. Just search Depression, if you use netflix.

top topics

join