It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$618 for an oil change that i (as far as the officer says i preformed) BIG BRO IN THE MIX AGAIN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
So just had court in Hammond, IN and got fined 618 for an oil change on a great friends car. If i knew i would have been paying for his oil change and then some I would have never done it. Anyways, was accused of running a public garage by statute and found guilty. While in trial I was told to shut up 4 times by the judge and 5 by state or the city rep.

Do any of my ATS family know if this is ok because I didnt even get to state my case. I was asked if I work on cars in the garage and replied with an honest answer which was yes. That was all she needed to find me guilty. I may have done wrong but why waste time breaking my balls and let the drug dealers still stand on the corner.

Do i have a leg to stand on can i appeal all input will be greatly loved if Im being a baby let me know but I pay taxes to do what I do at my house and garage. Im a great tech by the way and if anyone ever needs help just im me Ill be there for my famo lol.

Should I pay and walk or fight the power I need input from people that are in that field if not ok but look out for a fellow ATS brother.

Have a great night all I love each and everyone of us.

EDDIE

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
STUPID cops, got nothing to do but find money in the people that can actually pay the fines and won't fight back with force. Sucks man. Wish I was a lawyer or something to give advice but I am sure your screwed in the fine.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ed1320

can you please cite the state / county / city statute that prohibits " running a public garage " ?

because TBH I am struggling to make any sense of your claim so far

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

If I only knew I wouldnt be asking for advice lol but im looking now. I wonder if I can fight it in Indiana. Probably not.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ed1320

Not knowing the verbiage for your area - you might be able to use definitions to rule out the charges. Let's say for a person to run a garage would also require you to be certified, your house licensed and bonded, tax records to be kept, charging people for services, you to be able to place a mechanic lien on vehicles, etc etc...you might be able to fight it. If you are only charging and/or require the people for the parts alone - you might be able to use some good samaritan BS in your favor.

Good luck

Edit Any monies after product cost needs to be a tip...not sure how your state is set up.
edit on 13-9-2013 by ChuckNasty because: (no reason given)

Edit2 If you want to be able to make money from parts used, you could look into getting a business license. As long as your profits stay under your states threshold, you should be good. Just don't 'sell' Hazardous materials, only keep them on hand for normal household use in reasonable quantities. That'll require a crap-ton of permits and inspections if you sell hazmat and have a wastestream. Only sell parts and keep records of profits or lack of.
edit on 13-9-2013 by ChuckNasty because: as above

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ed1320

appologies - but if you cannot answer - but if you cannot answer such a fundamental question - you are not going to receive any usefull help beyond " consult a solicitor "

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
if you are /were not receiving money / favours for this then it was your hobby that you were practising by the sounds of it and not taxable .

not sure of u.s law but this stinks bud good luck

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Im an ASE auto tech not an alley mechanic just helped a friend out, the cop was trying to go past the garage and a beer truck and my buddy (in another car) had him blocked in. The liquor store is just south of the house btw he couldnt get through so he comes in the garage being crazy and starts writing tickets. Maybe he had a bad day but dont we all, to express yourself the way he did is juvenile IMHO. Now months later im stuck paying 618 for helping a friend. BTW I forget to mention it was a trans line that was cracked that was replaced but when can BIG BROTHER tell you what you can and cant do in your own garage. Im not that great with the laws code enforcement didnt even show up. Do I need a maid to clean my house a landscaper to mow the lawn come on its just about money in my eyes.
edit on 13-9-2013 by ed1320 because: i paid over 17000 in taxes just from work last year alone plus tax on everything I bought. We all pay but something has gotta give right.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Thanks for the input and not beating me down, I just think what officer friendly did was way wrong. Get the good guys not the dopers.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
dont know the laws in your area but do they state somewhere that you are only allowed to perform 'routine maintenance'?
that would be about the only thing i could think of. a trans cooler line is not an oil change. thats not really 'routine'

what was the citation for? what law broken?

edit* i assumed trans cooler line. either way, if some law states routine only, then i could see the issue even though i dont agree.
my suggestion would be to learn the particulars of the law you 'broke'
routine only?
cant charge money?

there has to be some sort of out. at least i would think. as long as you were not in the street, covering the sidewalk, or dumping tranny fluid into the ground then there has to be a way.

maybe thats the reasons in your county.... they are worried about people not knowing what they are doing or just not caring and dumping fluids into the ground. proper disposal and reclaiming.... makes sense
edit on 17-10-2013 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join