It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You Ever Seen A Storm Like This?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I have had many strange experiences and dreams, in my life. The following video plays out almost like one of those strange and lucid dreams. Lightning so intense and so constant that you cannot help but be in awe.

The video:

While this video is not mine, I'm interested if other ATS members have captured or experienced anything like this. I am an avid storm watcher and I never let a good thunderstorm go by without going outside to experience it. I'd love to hear some good stories, if you've got some.

Could you imagine if those strikes were hitting the ground and you were in the middle of it? Yikes!

I have a feeling that freak storms are going to be even more abundant and intense in the near future.

-AS-

P.S. It's been quite awhile since I've logged onto ATS. I have to say I didn't like the new layout at first but it's growing on me.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

Sorry...I've was outside playing with my Tesla coil...

Seriously that pretty awesome! Whish I could experince something
like that!!

disclaimer: That is not my tesla coil...Although I am very jealous and wish I had one of those in my backyard
edit on 11-9-2013 by Alchemst7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-9-2013 by Alchemst7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Never seen anything like that...

I have a feeling that freak storms are going to be even more abundant and intense in the near future.

Its not by chance that its called climate change (whatever the cause you decide to attribute to it)...

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I have on a few occasions,live in Oklahoma.My mom used to call em electric storms.

edit on 11-9-2013 by modified device because: because I wanted to.plus cookies are tasty.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
That must be speeded up,impossible to not have thunder.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Alchemst7

WOW! How many volts is that coil generating??? I have a background in Electronic Engineering so I love that kind of stuff
Thanks for sharing!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Oh I'm well aware of the climate changing. It's been dramatic up here in the prairie provinces of Canada. The sun burns almost instantly and the flash floods and hail have been intensifying over the years.

Here's a Story you may be interested in.

CBC: Record heat wave bakes Canada's North

Peace

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by modified device

If you've witnessed storms that intense then, I envy you my friend. lol

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

I wouldn't say "impossible". It could very well be what the woman in this video says: Heat Lightning.

Wiki: Heat Lightning

ETA: I've witnessed this myself on multiple occasions with lightning directly above my head but no thunder. Makes for a great light show in the clouds.
edit on 11-9-2013 by AeonStorm because: ETA

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I love the comment "Oh wow, double lightning. What does it mean?"
Seriously though, I live in Oklahoma and we get that all the time. That F5 tornado that came through a few months ago was less than a half mile from my house. I watched it go by. It was starting to dissipate by that time though. It was still pretty impressive to see though.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

Thanks for the reply ratcals. I had no idea that spectacles like this were a common occurrence in Oklahoma. I've seen plenty of crazy tornado footage from Tornado Alley but not light shows like in the video.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Yes, in north Texas, too....up close though, they make thunder...last sometimes two hours....move slowly...always after dark....

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
this is very cool. and strange.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I've seen this kind of display many times. My mother also used to call it heat lightning. I was obsessed with watching storms as a kid... The beauty and power of them is almost without equal.

On a side note, I spent quite a bit of time doing scientific research which utilized a Solid State Tesla Coil SSTC-3.8 (40" arc). Lots of fun...

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Alchemst7

That is not my tesla coil...Although I am very jealous and wish I had one of those in my backyard

Yeah, right, not your coil. You just don't want us to come over, huh?

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

It's called Sheet Lightning.

Sheet lightning refers to cloud-to-cloud lightning that exhibits a diffuse brightening of the surface of a cloud, caused by the actual discharge path being hidden or too far away. The lightning itself cannot be seen by the spectator, so it appears as only a flash, or a sheet of light. The lightning may be too far away to discern individual flashes.

wikipedia / lightning / sheet lightning

I have seen magnificent displays of this before. What I remember is that it was not raining, there were many colors, and it was silent.

Mike

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

1) It's night.
2) There is not really a whole lot of information on how far away those storms are (except he does say that there is a tornado 30 miles away).
3) Because it is night, a lightning strike can light up things for many tens of miles away because of how bright it is, and how much light clouds will reflect.

4) If it's multiple cells of storms, there will be a lot of lighting strikes. He's panning back and forth like it's a front that has many thunderstorm cells in it on the horizon.

5) If it's on the horizon, then you will be able to see a dazzling display of lightning in all those cells. But you will NOT hear the thunder for a very simple reason:

It's too far away.

In the many years I was in the US Navy, I could go out at night while at sea, and see this type of display, and yet not hear any thunder, simply because the storms were just too far away for the sound to travel.

The tops of thunder heads can reach over 50,000 feet in height, and lighting will happen in them at that height. Because they are so tall you can actually see the tops of those storms from many miles away, more miles than the thunder can reach you.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I live in the florida keys and we have been getting a few storms like this late in the night. The reason i know is my dog hates lighting and she wakes me up to let me know whats going on.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

Another north texan who has seen this but not without thunder. Still an awesome portrayal of our normal spring and autumn storm.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I haven't seen that from a distance. What I saw was worse. After 15 minutes of what could be best be described as wondering if a giant ship parked over your house and the Star Ship Enterprise had all lights shining constantly on your house, yard and neighborhood in super bright light, I felt a need to look past the glowing shade out the window. I saw super intense light everywhere, much brighter than daytime. Then I realized after a few seconds of trying to see inside the house with the lights on that I was blind. That was scary. After a few minutes my eye site came back much to my relief.

I saw flashes in the video. What I witnessed where I once lived was so constant that there were no visible flashes. It was identical to just having a super bright light on. I found out later we were at the center of a supercell with F5 tornadoes several mies away around the perimeter of the county. One of those tornadoes picked up box cars off a railroad track and they went airborne. A steel tower designed to survive 300 mph straight winds was twisted all around and the top got pushed into the ground. It was still all in one piece and still attached to the ground though. It just looked like a twisty like on a loaf of bread.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join