It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Tops the US in Violent Crime by 25%

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

Unfortunately there is little to learn in this thread aside from veiled but desperate attempts to support gun ownership through misinterpretation of data sets which are not directly comparable to each other.
Good day to you though, I shall get my coat and leave you to your mission

You could start by reviewing the links and their content, I'll check in later...

Ratcals is saying that if you add up the totals instead of going by the percentages the US has more violent crime (which isn't my point but, at least he has clarified).

What is your point?
edit on 11-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

What is your point?

That the data sets are not directly comparable to each other for many reasons, including definition of violent crime by recording agencies. As I said, I'll leave you to it, I do not care enough about the issue to continue in this thread. I am however very happy to live in a country where I'm more likely to lose a few teeth or require a few stitches than lose my life as a result of a shooting.
edit on 11-9-2013 by grainofsand because: messed up quote tags

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

That the data sets are not directly comparable to each other for many reasons, including definition of violent crime by recording agencies. As I said, I'll leave you to it, I do not care enough about the issue to continue in this thread. I am however very happy to live in a country where I'm more likely to lose a few teeth or require a few stitches than lose my life as a result of a shooting.

So, you won't even read the thread much less the supporting documentation from each perspective.

Fair enough.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

greencmp

So, you won't even read the thread much less the supporting documentation from each perspective.

Fair enough.

Nope, I have read the thread and considered the data from the links, then dismissed it all for the reasons I expressed in my last reply.
You may believe that the UK is a more violent place from the statistics, I do not, but I do consider the UK to be a safer place to live than the US while considering loss of life from violent incidents.
Perhaps the UK is more violent, I keep an open mind, but less people appear to die from that violence, which must be a good thing for any country.
The data sets are not directly comparable though, so based on current records as they stand we are unable to confirm it either way.
Interesting thread, but your sensational headline is not justified without further, more precise, evidence.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This debate was doing it's round's on ATS a few month's ago.

In similar vain, the statistics were being thrown around as an argument or justification by pro gun group's and individual's.

The debate was flawed then as it still is now.... It as already been established that there is no credible way to compare the two countries crime and violent crime statistics accurately.

I knew very little about crime statistics until the media hype that declared the UK was a more violent and dangerous place to live than South Africa according to statistics. Now I'm no statistician, but to anyone in their right mind that kinda jumps out as sounding more than a little amiss! So I sent myself off to be educated a little more about it and discovered the differences in definitions and the way crime is reported and reflected in statistics in different countries make's it an impossible tool for comparison purposes.

I am anti gun in my own country...the law's in my own country regarding the possession of firearms suit's me just fine. But that's not to say I believe gun ownership in the US should be banned as I don't particularly think it is the answer to any of your problem's.

But I do wish people wouldn't use my country by portraying us in a less favourable way using data and making flawed comparison's just to further an argument you need to settle on your own shore.

Just as a side note....considering that the US has the highest documented incarceration rate in the world and the gap between the US and the UK incarceration rates are huge!.....I'm actually surprised you have any criminal's left on the street!
Even if I was to buy into comparing US v UK crime statistics ( which I don't) There could be an argument that far lower incarceration rates in the UK may have a bigger impact on the number's of crimes committed here in the UK than any variable associated with gun control.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

There could be an argument that far lower incarceration rates in the UK may have a bigger impact on the number's of crimes committed here in the UK than any variable associated with gun control.

That is a great point that hadn't been brought up, worth considering. Not to say that you guys should incarcerate more or we shouldn't incarcerate less.

I am anti gun in my own country...the law's in my own country regarding the possession of firearms suit's me just fine. But that's not to say I believe gun ownership in the US should be banned as I don't particularly think it is the answer to any of your problem's.

Well, it pretty much is banned for the purposes that I am arguing for in this thread, personal defense. It is very difficult to get a concealed carry permit here, you basically need to know the police chief.

I was going to start with that and then go on to the constitutional arguments in another thread, maintenance of a free state.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join