It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Lawmakers Ousted in Recall Vote Over Gun Law

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Two Colorado Democrats who provided crucial support for a slate of tough new gun-control laws were voted out of office on Tuesday in a recall vote widely seen as a test of popular support for gun restrictions after mass shootings in a Colorado movie theater and a Connecticut elementary school.

And all of Bloomberg's money couldn't put them back together again:

While both sides campaigned vigorously, knocking on doors, holding rallies and driving voters to the polls, gun-control advocates far outspent their opponents. A range of philanthropists, liberal political groups, unions and activists raised a total of $3 million to defend Mr. Morse and Ms. Giron. Mr. Bloomberg personally gave $350,000.
Link

The recalled politicians still believe they were in the right and that their constituents were and still are wrong. Let that be a lesson to anyone who thinks they are being represented by their elected official.

Though they may be gone the damage is still done. Magpul is gone from CO along with the jobs they created and a terrible law is still in force. Lets see how long it takes CO to repeal that law.

What takes a few hours to pass and impose on millions people takes years if not decades to repeal.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I only wish I could get the folks here in NYS to do the same to our entire upstate staff. Pipe dreams though. But good on the public to put an end to some careers that were not deserving and representative of the citizens demands. Like is already stated the damage is already done, but even small victories are a big moral boost to the citizen who in this day n age often feel like their voice is silenced.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The opposition (those for gun control) greatly helped the local marketing community. Kudos for that, and yet they still lost. I find that to be hilarious!

I saw the budgets for both sides yesterday, and though I can't remember the exact numbers, I know that Bloomberg alone spent more than the people supporting the recall combined.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

More evidence of the level-headedness of the silent majority.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I love seeing this.

I do love the statement of the ousted woman that in the end, they will win because they are right. Yep, that is why you were just bounced out of office.

Hopefully this is a wildfire that will spread.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This is good to see.

Not just on this particular topic, either.

Our critters need to know that they are our representatives, not our rulers. Hired by us, and they can be fired by us.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
and...they...are outahere....

Ballot Issue State Senate 3 - Recall Giron

100% reporting

Yes 56.0%
(19,355)

No 43.9%
(15,201)

Updated 53 minutes ago
Ballot Issue State Senate 11 - Recall Morse

100% reporting

Yes 50.9%
(9,094)

No 49.0%
(8,751)

uhhh - well uhh- shouldn't the governor be recalled - he supported the gun/magazine baloney.

score 2 for the good guys - take a hike marxists.
wtg COLORADO

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Well what-do-ya-know!

The system works!

*applause*

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jibajaba

uhhh - well uhh- shouldn't the governor be recalled - he supported the gun/magazine baloney.

If you live in Colorado, help make it happen. As you can see, it can be done. ...and more power to 'em.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

While a positive outcome was seen those numbers are a little too close for me. Support of liberty should never be so close as 50/50.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

thisguyrighthere

While a positive outcome was seen those numbers are a little too close for me. Support of liberty should never be so close as 50/50.

I agree. Maybe this will serve as "a call to arms", so to speak, for all American's to wake up and realize their voices can be heard, and the will of the people can trump our representatives when they forget who they work for.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I am sure there will be a nice comfy executive position at one of their political purchasers, err i mean campaign fund raisers companies

edit on 11-9-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Shouldn't the NRA get naming rights soon?
Like "Colorado... brought to you by the NRA".

I didn't see one mention of how much money and
clout the NRA used to oust these public officials who don't agree with them.
And it was a tiny bit more than the opposition I would guess
considering the outcome.

So it's okay to buy democracy as long as its the Koch Bros in Wisconsin
or the NRA in Colorado huh?

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

sealing

considering the outcome.

Actually the Gun Control people outspent the Pro-2D Amemndment rights people.

www.bloomberg.com...

I am so happy that common sense prevailed! WhooHoo!

And that old tale of buying votes or voter suppersion is getting, well, old as well. The People voted. Deal with it.
edit on 11-9-2013 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere

Great reply......Really it says it all.

What the progressive filth does not understand is what happens if they do get a gun ban. Pie in the sky rainbows pooping out candy canes.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

sealing

When we were riding 4x4 in Colorado we came to a group at a mine with jackets and t-shirts supporting the 2nd ammendment....they told us it's only the city yuppies against guns because they have no sense or upbringing....we couldn't argue that....

considering the outcome.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

sealing
considering the outcome.

It's right there in the OP. Bloomberg & Co. outspent the NRA by millions.

$3,000,000 was spent trying to save these politicians while:

The NRA, through the Committee to Restore Coloradans’ Rights, spent about $360,000 from March through Aug. 29, according to campaign disclosure statements that don’t cover the intense final days of the campaign.

So unless the NRA dumped $2.75 million into the area in the last week before the recall....
edit on 11-9-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere

While both sides campaigned vigorously, knocking on doors, holding rallies and driving voters to the polls, gun-control advocates far outspent their opponents. A range of philanthropists, liberal political groups, unions and activists raised a total of $3 million to defend Mr. Morse and Ms. Giron. Mr. Bloomberg personally gave $350,000.
Link

The NRA spent heavily on the recall effort, reporting at least $360,000 and funneling unspecified dollars through its nonprofit arm. The billionaire conservative Koch brothers also entered the fray, using their advocacy group Americans For Prosperity to target Morse and Giron. Due to the organization's nonprofit status, AFP also did not have to report its spending to the Federal Elections Commission.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 11-9-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-9-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Meanwhile:

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a staunch supporter of stricter gun laws, donated $350,000 to Morse and Giron. Billionaire philanthropist Eli Broad gave a separate $250,000 check to help the legislators, while Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) repeatedly issued fundraising calls for Giron in emails to her supporters. The Denver Post reported Monday that those in Morse and Giron's corner had collected nearly $3 million, while proponents of the recall raised about $540,000.

According to Levitt money in politics doesn't matter much anyway.

I brought up money in the OP because I think it's funny Bloomberg spent so much and lost.

If Bloomberg had won after spending more than the NRA would those who play the "evil corporate money" card be thankful that Bloombergs evil corporate money won?
edit on 11-9-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I am against any out of state dollars spent in local elections.

While Bloomberg and others spent, so did the Koch Brothers and NRA, both through Corp. shelters that don't require them to disclose how much they spent.

So...nobody should be able to influence local elections from abroad...and we don't know what the Koch Brothers and NRA spent in total.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join