It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subject: ONIONS Is This Real?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Asafoetida is ''stinky'', I bought some once but rarely used it. It's meant as a cure for flatulence though and is used a lot in spicy cooking in the East, some recipes use it for it's taste.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Thieves oil is also effective for colds, flu etc. It is an essential oil blend that is a powerful anti viral, antibiotic, anti fungal. A drop under the tongue or on the palette is said to have great benefits.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSpanishArcher

Little late in the answering department but my aunt used to use this remedy and she swore by it.
But also I've read that it does work, so I always wrap my onions up right after cutting them and don't keep them around long.

Imo, I think nature has everything we need to help us stay healthy(a lost art), although not scientifically proven but science does not always have all of the answers.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I have herd about this before to.
Garlic is good to.

it must do more that just suck up the bugs.
as the bugs in the human would not just jump ship!
if you smell Garlic you will get a Very strong smell.
you cry to. it will get in your lungs.

I think that breathing it in is the impotent thing.
as lots of humans eat onions.
and that does not work.

essential oils heal the human bodies a lot.
We have LOST a great deal.
they said it was witch craft and killed them.

edit on 11-9-2013 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Being able to attract bad bacteria and good for the body is probably true but leaving one half cut in a bag in the fridge is fine..... I've been doing that for many years and have never been ill after eating one!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I love onions, raw or cooked. I've almost always got a half an onion in the fridge in a baggie. I pull it out and slice it as needed for a raw sandwich topping. As a matter of fact, I've been doing this virtually all my life and have never gotten sick from it. As I type this I'm eating a cheeseburger left over from last night's dinner topped with an onion slice from an onion I originally cut into over the weekend.

Maybe I've built up an immunity or something. It's anecdotal, so tough to draw conclusions. The raw onion practice seems to be harmless enough, so if you think it works I see no problem. And if you want to throw away half or more of a perfectly good onion, it's no issue for me.

When it comes to asafetida (with emphasis on the 'fetid') I always heard it warded off illness because raw, it smells so badly no one sick or well will get close to you. Makes me think of durien, that southeast Asian fruit that smells and tastes like rotten onions. That probably got some serious medicinal value, but based on what I've read I think I'd rather have the sickness.

Love onions, love The Onion. Coincidence?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 9/11/2013 by yeahright because: Typo

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

So sorry to have bothered you. I guess you are much smarter than I am and need no help whatsoever when faced with information that may or may not be true and I didn't have time to look it up. I left shortly after posting this so I didn't have time to search through bunches of links and I don't trust Snopes.

I asked a question, what the heck is wrong with that?

Anyway, for the rest of you guys, thanks for all the replies. After reading this thread I'm even more baffled, as this has cleared up absolutely nothing. Some say yea, some say nay. Well, it was more interesting than I thought. Never expected three pages of replies.

I guess the next time I get the sniffles I'll leave a onion out and see what happens. I can say that I have, for many years, cut up onions and left them in a container in the fridge. Never had a problem getting sick off of them.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Every time I look up "home remedies", regardless, those who are re-told and re-told...it turns out total nonsense which does not work. I think most of those are only tales and folklore and no-one even bothers to check their validity.

Not "onions"...but I looked up how to catch flies once and there are millions of entries on the web how to make a natural fly catcher eg. with honey or sugar water etc. and putting it on a sheet and the flies are supposedly sticking to it. Problem: It does not work, it's not sticky enough like the commercial fly catchers you can buy.

Regardless, millions of people spread such "remedies" and then you find them on the web or listed in books.
edit on 32013RuWednesdayAmerica/Chicago18PMWednesdayWednesday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Funyuns and chicken noodle soup *homemade*, a bit of southern comfort on the rocks,

nite nite.

Repeat the next morning, take the day off. Same for lunch and dinner fixes me.

My cat dig's Funyuns......bonus!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Snopes is occassionally wrong.

Onion smell does increase secretions by mucous membranes (increased histamine?) and tears- we've all experienced this at some point. Maybe they lower the inflammation threshold a little so that a person ends up sequestering or destroying viruses before an infection becomes widespread. influenza is caused by an airborne virus.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Wasn't there a thread on this already? With the same story

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I'm a chef and onions can do that, but it isn't a guarantee. Onions also have many other benefits including ear infections. Apparently if you cut and onion in half and microwave it in water, then let it cool till it is luke warm (be careful, LUKE WARM not steamy, hot, it can cause ear damage if it's too warm), then poor it in your ear while you lay on your side for a few minutes. Maybe something in the onion (water) absorbs the infection? A few friends and co-workers have done the onion in water trick when they were getting sick, and didn't get too bad. That is interesting that he found the flu absorbed by the onion.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Don't ever apologize for being curious.

While there isn't a lot of info out there to back up the onion theory you heard, onions certainly won't make you feel worse.

I wish you much health and happiness.

(p.s. While reading through the thread I did have a thought, though. Perhaps the onion vapors kick our mucous membranes into overdrive and that is what may have repelled the virus in your story.)
edit on 12-9-2013 by PrincessTofu because: (no reason given)

Also, now that I think about it... remember when marijuana would immediately kill you if you smoked it? Because it was so readily available, the health benefits that were in reports from the 1970's were hidden and lied about by the gov. because of political agendas and big pharm interests. Those studies are finally seeing light.

Who knows. Perhaps there is something curative in onions that is being kept quiet because it's so readily available and would cut into someone's profit margin.

I haven't ever had the flu but I don't think it's because of onions, and it certainly isn't because of marijuana.

Sorry. I ramble. ^.^ Good health to you.

edit on 12-9-2013 by PrincessTofu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Phage

The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

The flu is not caused by bacteria, nor are colds. The flu virus cannot be seen with an optical microscope.

BTW, www.truthorfiction.com...-MAn8pjfY
edit on 9/10/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Wow Phage your so smart...

I'll tell you what though, I'll take a few cut onion in a humidifier over a scientifically certified "Phage approved" smart people vaccine any damn day of the week.

Smart people put up links to faceoogletweetube

The Rat.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Marijuana was first used in China thousands of years ago as an herbal remedy for rheumatism. It would not suprise me if onions have medicinal properties. But unless the doctor had an electron microscope, he would not be able to detect viruses in an onion.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

It's false Snopes

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I just like to say I've left sliced onion in my refrigerator and eaten them sometimes the next day or even the day after that and I've never gotten any of the symptoms you state, but of course I'm not eating an onion that is 'black' it's usually white. What I do know about onions is that they're useful for the lungs especially if you're a cancer stick enthusiast.

Also, I've seen dogs eat shoes, footballs, tires, grass, and even Mcdonalds! Theobromine is what should be avoided by dogs.

I, however, am I still open-minded to this thesis and will try and reproduce the results using this method.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

"Some say yea, some say nay"

I found this interesting too, but it actually doesn't surprise me because in my family, it seems to work for some of us but not for others! When my daughter was a teenager, colds often turned into pneumonia. It was horrible for her. I had read or heard about the onion in a bowl, but my daughter didn't want to try it (she hates onions). Nevertheless, one night she was coughing so much and having such a hard time breathing that I did it anyway. I placed the bowl with one cut up yellow onion and hot water on a chair right next to her bed. She woke up enough to realize what I was doing and made a protest grunt, but that was about all she could manage. Within an hour, she was breathing much easier and coughing less. By the next morning, she was feeling 200% better (and complaining that I made her bedroom stink). The onion was kind of withered and brownish/purplish. My (now adult) daughter still does this at the first sign of a cold, and it nips it in the bud.

However, this doesn't seem to help me at all when I have a chest cold. Not even a little bit -- and I love onions! (What does help me -- every time -- is a good ole hot toddy.)

I've thought quite a bit about why this might be. Perhaps the onions only work on certain bacteria, etc? Perhaps it depends on a person's individual physiology? I know one school of thought asserts that people respond best to herbs native to their heritage. So, for example, people of Native American descent would respond best to American herbs as opposed to European... people of Asian descent would respond better to herbs from Asia than America... and so on. I sure don't know, but I find it all quite interesting.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Boadicea
(What does help me -- every time -- is a good ole hot toddy.)

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Rock on!
Couldn't agree with you more.
For those who shouldn't or would prefer to not drink the alcohol, I'd recommend hot tea with lemon and honey. And homemade chicken soup.

And hey, park an onion in the room. Can't hurt.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Crakeur
www.snopes.com...

aside from making your eyes water and stinking up the joint, it won't work.

Let me get this right...

Thousands of years of 'anecdotal'... for lack of a better word 'occurrances'...

And because 'science' as parroted from a web site 'debunked' the efficacy of onions... it can't possibly be true.

My grandfather ate a complete onion every day (yes, I know! Yuck!). His teeth were perfect!

How many fillings do all of you 'scientists' have?

Carry on!
golem

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join