It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subject: ONIONS Is This Real?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If everything could be cured and prevented by just sitting onions around, I think we would all be doing that already and scientists would have isolated the specific chemicals with such an ability and would have sold them to pharma who would have resold them to the general public with all sorts of names and a high price.

That said, I am pretty sure I have prevented / cured the symptoms of many a cold with cooking things containing lots of onions / garlic / chicken (which contains a health promoting compound in the cartilage) such as chicken soup (Jewish penicillin) and recall once making a large raw onion, chilli, garlic and tomato smoothie in the blender and eaten /drank as gazpacho, which wasn't so easy, but we felt a lot better after.

Some clever onion info here:

www.whfoods.com...

edit on 10-9-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSpanishArcher

Lol, I saw an article about this same thing about 3 years ago. My daughter was away at college and was feeling sick, I suggested she go out and get an onion like this article said, peel it and I think it said to set it in a bowl of hot water by the bed.

So to answer your question, no it doesn't work. My daughter called back 2 days later and said, "dad I thought you said this thing with the onion would work!" Lol, sometimes things sound better than what they truly are. Save your onions for the hamburgers.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

There's no way I can say anything else. TRUE

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I've studied the onion quite a bit. An onion contains Theo-sulfate which can neutralize cyanides. The chemistry of an onion and garlic are the same but the proportions vary greatly in the chemicals. The sulfur compounds in an onion can detoxify many bio chemicals, including neutralizing some micotoxins. Cat litter can attract micotoxins also, but if there is a cat using it, I do not think it will work.

I don't think the onion actually attracts any viruses or bacteria, but the sulfur in the air may take away the ability of some microbes to weaponize. I haven't studied much on what weapons viruses have and what is needed to neutralize their chemical weapon arsenals. I do know some antiviral herbs, which onions is not one of as far as I know, saffron is the best I guess followed by anything that strengthens the body. With the new evidence that is evolving, I am not sure that not catching a cold is actually wise. Some cold viruses target cancer cells because they have the fastest growth and kill the cancer.

I need to think more about all this stuff again. Seems that Pharmaceutical and food science jumps too quickly and creates bigger problems. I must have read a hundred research articles on viruses the last three days. Add that to the thousands previously read and it makes it more screwed up since the ones I have been reading now kind of contradict the mindset of the older articles from a year ago. Shows how screwed up the medical field is here, anything they can profit from before the medicine is found to be toxic is pushed extensively right away. The whole basis of treatment seems to be messed up, it was better forty years ago.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I have known about this for some time, I think the last time I had a flu or even head cold was more than 12 prob 15 yrs ago or maybe even longer than that, since I first came across this information I like others here now decided to give it a try, and it does just as is described by you.... it does go black from bacteria that it attracts, and it does keep the flu either that or I am immune, and I don't see that as a possibility... good post and is definately worth spreading the word.......

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I don't know anything about this, aside from what is in the Opening Post and what was posted by a few members. It is an intriguing idea, but it seems to be more of an 'urban legend'... or would it be a 'rural legend'?

Even though the linked information and member replies seem to point to this not working as it is claimed, some seem to believe in it deeply and there may be something to it that hasn't been considered.

I don't think the onions would absorb the virus/germs from the air to prevent infection, but there may be something happening that causes people to believe this.

We all know that cutting an onion while in a poorly ventilated area will cause eye irritation & tears. Simply turn on a fan while you cut the onions and you can avoid this hassle.

I believe it is a gas/odor released from within the onion when it's cut that causes the eye irritation. If you've ever gotten the 'onion eye', then you know it isn't pleasant and the experience can be very uncomfortable.

To cause such irritation, the odor/gas released from the onion must be pretty strong. Could it be possible that the onion does not attract or absorb the germs or viruses, instead, could the onion vapors effect the airborn virus and germs?

Maybe the gas/odor from the onion interacts with illness in the air and renders it ineffective when it comes up against our immune system. It may not completely kill the virus or germs, but maybe it damages it enough that it is no longer a threat to our immune system.

I'm no Dr., chemist, or anything else that would give me credibility in relation to this, it's just speculation on my part.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

If you rub a carrot on your forehead between your eyes 666 times you get a special 6th sense and if you add ground beets into your ears you will fly through the astral plane.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

When I was growing up we had a spider monkey and living in the Midwest it would get cold in the winter and the monkey would come down with a cold. My mother would give the monkey half a yellow onion and the monkey would take bites of the onion and at the same time rub it into her skin all the while tears flowing from its eyes from the fumes. It would cure the monkey every time.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I am real careful with ONIONS. I only (usually try) to eat fresh Vidalia Onions! Cause you never know, one day I might find a woman who wants to kiss me (again).

Plus, my mom said, don't keep no onions in the fridge! Throw them away and cut up a new one.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
OK.... All I know is that I have been using cut onions kept in the fridge for DAYS without any problems. Not raw, but well cooked. So I am not going to try the raw onion to test the theory. All I know is that when I was a short order cook, we would prepare a BUNCH of finely chopped onion and keep it in the prep bar and if we had any left at the end of the day, kept it in the fridge for the next day. Oh, and this was BEFORE anyone had to use latex gloves.... NEVER got anyone sick. I have heard of this warning before from several sources, but my practical experience has been 180 degrees different so long as I have cooked the onions. Go figure.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Onions on the counter cut open and in open air for days, and also onions saved in the fridge in baggies for a week have never made anyone sick. Just throw it out if it looks bad, and no harm no foul.

this is bollocks

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Wow amazing I never heard of this but im thankful for the share

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I must state. That I have heard of this onion healing stuff here on ATS before in years yore.

I had a scratchy throught yesterday and a couple days behind.

I ate a "bunching onion " from my garden yesterday.

I have not had any sickness since.

Call it my own bodies immunity, call it the Onion, call it symptom change.

I ate a home grown onion yesterday and I am not sick today.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   

randyvs

There's no way I can say anything else. TRUE

I agree with randyvs! Tried and tested and it worked! Didn't do the putting it in hot water though, cut it in half and put half at the foot and half at the head of the bed with a child in it that could hardly breath due a cold/flu and the next day the child was playing with her siblings! Onion is also anti-carcinogenic and even more so if cooked!

Just want to add that my eyes never burn or water when cutting/cooking with onions and all I do is NOT breathe through my nose when doing so! There is definitely a connection between what one is inhaling while working with onions and the "watery eye syndrome", something that is being released as the onion is cut and cooked affects the nasal passages when inhaled! Just breathe through your mouth and your eyes will never water again! I have been telling my friends this for years and they too don't suffer "onion eye" any more!
edit on 11/9/13 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

I love onions. One year I caught a terrible cold and flu that I couldn't shake for 3 weeks. My boyfriend got the idea to make a soup:

Beef bone broth
tons of fresh chopped onion
lots of chopped garlic
tomatoes

After the first bowl, I felt so much better. By the third bowl of this later in the evening, I turned a corner and by the next day I was off the sofa.

Another trick I found is, if I feel a sore throat come on, I put 3 drops wild oil of oregano under my tongue and swallow it back, the sore throat is gone. I swear it works every time.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

LOL, I do love vidalias, I also like them breaded and fried, which is not so healthy at all!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by onehuman

Cooking frozen onions to 180 should kill any types of bacteria. If your not comfortable with that saute them at 200 in butter and garlic. But boy will the house smell that day.

not nearly as bad as cooking collard greens and fatback.....trust me...you spend enough time in the south....there's always something that smells worse than onions and jalapeno farts.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I do not believe the onion story.

I do have a story from my mother that is related though.
When the Spanish Influenza hit in 1918, it killed members of my grandmother's family, including my maternal grandmother. The only members of that family that were not affected by the flu were the ones that ate a certain spice, Asafoetida.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia page for the spice: Asafoetida

Interestingly enough, it is also a 'stinky' spice.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

This has been a common practice in our house for aprox. the last five years.
Whether or not it works,well I have no scientific data and can only offer my opinion.

With having a young child in our house,it was my thought was that it was worth the price of an onion once a week or so, if for for no other reason than "it may?" work in cutting down on preschool germs being carried home.
I think it has possibly helped in our case...

Thanks
tom

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join