It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI continues to investigate Michael Hastings for 'controversial reporting'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

I would definitely say that it sounds like they are dotting Eyes, and Crossing Teeths.

BUT .. .. . . I got my Brain Gears going again. .. So .. .. . . .

How about IF someone files a FOI Request for the records that they have on Bowe Bergdahl?

Do you think we might get the rest of what was redacted?

The part of the government that deals with those records are really a bunch of Ignoramuses. They see a requested and go fill it while they are whiting out everything that doesn't pertain. They are really a bunch of trained monkeys.

So, the line of reasoning would be that IF you did request the records of Bowe Bergdahl you might get the parts that were redacted out of the current files.

Does that make any sense at all?

As far as the emails go .. . I suspect the only way to find out is to ask the parents.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
It appears Hastings said there are two more of these investigations of his stories. Which came from the DOD.

[–]Michael_Hastings[S] 6 points 1 year ago
Yes. Every once and awhile, I'll get a death threat from someone--like, "if we don't like what you write, we'll hunt you down and kill you" kind of thing. But there's a more insidious response most of the time when you piss off the powerful. They come after your career, they try to come after your credibility. They do cocktail party whisper campaigns. They try to make you "controversial." Sadly, The Powers That Be are often aided by other journalists.
The Pentagon has launched three investigations into stories I've done over the past 18 months under the pretense of finding the wrongdoing we were exposing. But the investigations were really about creating a Pentagon approved official document to criticize journalism they don't like.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

ShadellacZumbrum
...How about IF someone files a FOI Request for the records that they have on Bowe Bergdahl?
...Do you think we might get the rest of what was redacted?
...So, the line of reasoning would be that IF you did request the records of Bowe Bergdahl you might get the parts that were redacted out of the current files.
...Does that make any sense at all?

Your line of reasoning is sound. In fact...that has worked on many occasions, for me (though - I never dealt with FOIA's, or such).
My question would be -- 'Shapiro said he always makes such a request when a celebrity (of various sorts, I'm sure) dies... So - I'm wondering if you only have the right to such documents...upon someone's death...unless, you are "the person in question" or, have some kind of other authority (like - guardianship).
As far as we know - Bergdahl is still alive.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I am just curious to know. . . How would MH know that his other articles were being investigated?

Although I could easily believe that the Pentagon might do so. I have a brother-in-law that had worked at the Pentagon for the last 12 years. Believe me when I say that there is a whole lot more than "Military" stuff that goes on there.

AND,. .. If this is the case. .. Michael Hastings has been under the Microscope for a long time.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

JBA2848
...there's a more insidious response most of the time when you piss off the powerful. They come after your career, they try to come after your credibility. They do cocktail party whisper campaigns. They try to make you "controversial." Sadly, The Powers That Be are often aided by other journalists.
The Pentagon has launched three investigations into stories I've done over the past 18 months under the pretense of finding the wrongdoing we were exposing. But the investigations were really about creating a Pentagon approved official document to criticize journalism they don't like. ...

(Of course - highlights to the quoted text added by me...)
So - if he knew of these "investigations"...then...and, they involved three other stories...WHY are we not seeing "redacted documents" on those investigations from the FBI...as well?
You obviously obtained this from a fairly "public" source... Not like it's a "secret" to TH*M...
Sincerely appreciate your contributions!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Your not seeing the forest because of the trees.

They did not do a investigation of him. They did it on his story. Like the war on (place noun here). A investigation of a noun means you can investigate anything and everything connected to that noun with out admitting a investigation was done on a person. It is illegal to do investigations on a person or individual but it is not illegal to do a investigation of a story. I would say a FOI request would have to be done on investigations of stories written.

They were able to go after publishers, editors, writers, researchers and anything else phone lines,fax machines, computers. And legally they did not do a investigation on a person and they can lie about not investigating a person by misleading what the investigation was for.

three investigations into stories

edit on 11-9-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

By the way. . .. . .. .

Just wanted to mention a website called. .. . ..

The Black Vault

That specializes in filing FOIA Requests.

Maybe I can email them tomorrow and ask some questions about pursuing a FOI request.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

JBA2848
...Your not seeing the forest because of the trees.

Awww -- how can you say that?
I like forests and trees.
Can't say I knew the rest of what you shared...but...I was kind of on the same page as to "how" they were Lying While Telling The Truth.
My point was - his name should probably be associated with the other two stories, as well - so - why are we seeing no documents related thereto (or therefore or thereamong or therethere - ya know)...?
Do you know anything regarding whether an FOIA request can be made regarding someone who is still alive?
edit on 9/12/2013 by WanDash because: Glenfiddich

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

ShadellacZumbrum
...Just wanted to mention a website called. .. . ..
...The Black Vault
...That specializes in filing FOIA Requests.
...Maybe I can email them tomorrow and ask some questions about pursuing a FOI request.

Thanks Shadellac'... Put it in my Favorites to visit tomorrow.
Wonder if the "Greenwald" who runs the site is related to the other "Greenwald" of recent & notorious (or - as the Three Amigos would say - inFamous) renown...?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join