It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choosing a book cover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Some of you may have read my previous literature topic "The Difficulties of Self Publishing". As a result of the discussion there, I have decided to completely redesign the cover for one of my novels, and am now turning to our community to help me decide on a final design.

I am doing this in two ways: By posting here and hoping for your honest opinions, and by posting an "official" vote on my author page on facebook. I intend to get as honest and wide an audience as I possibly can to provide, without a doubt, the best decision based on what I have been presented with.

The cover is for the novel "The Immortal Tales: Kri", which I have detailed in a post here before. For those of you that are not familiar with it: It is a fantasy novel based heavily around magic and mythical creatures. Yes, vampires and werewolves take a major role (but don't think the sparkly kind of twilight). The character depicted here plays a major role in shaping the backend of the story, leading on to the next novel.

Down to business. Here are the three images that I am deciding between.

If you would like to join the official vote, please head to Facebook.
If you would like to give your opinion here, please choose between 1, 2, or 3.
If you would like to discuss, I would love to hear your opinions.

Finally, thankyou all for your time.

S. J. Vellenga

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Scaleru

Number 2 gets my vote. It has more of a magic flavor IMO.
2nd line

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Probably number 3.

You have to remember that a huge percentage of buyers will only see the image briefly in ICON form as they look around, and so your cover has to sell the idea of clicking on it even before they see the large version.

Cover 2 is nice, but in a postage stamp sized icon it means nothing.

The best covers look great in small icon form, and then also have more detail revealed for even more wonderment in the larger form.
They also instantly portray the genre without the reader having to even think about it.

And mostly... nobody really knows how to measure the performance of covers without trying them.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Hmmm, not sure, the pics are so small. Maybe the second one.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

You can click on them to enlarge them

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Scaleru

If I had to choose, I would go for number 2, with number 3 in a close second place.
But frankly I don't like either of them very much. The actual drawing is cool, but the coloring doesn't do it justice. I would rather see it in just black and white, instead of just a different background.

It's like the style used in the drawing and the techniques in the coloring aren't done by the same person, and I do not think they match very well

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   

alfa1

Probably number 3.

You have to remember that a huge percentage of buyers will only see the image briefly in ICON form as they look around, and so your cover has to sell the idea of clicking on it even before they see the large version.

Cover 2 is nice, but in a postage stamp sized icon it means nothing.

The best covers look great in small icon form, and then also have more detail revealed for even more wonderment in the larger form.
They also instantly portray the genre without the reader having to even think about it.

And mostly... nobody really knows how to measure the performance of covers without trying them.

You covered it all nicely! Those images will not stand out in thumbnail inspite of being nice.

My avatar is also a book cover, it stands out very well at any size. You need to stand out of the crowd.

P

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

While I agree with your premise, one must remember that personal preference stands above all in this kind of situation. What you might find "unappealing" may just attract the attention of someone else more so than your cover. While you may pass over any of the above designs for mine, I may pass over your design just as easily.

I'm not attempting to be crass or rude, nor am I trying to degrade your work. I am simply trying to find the most appealing of the designs that I have been presented with according to a broader audience. The design that receives the most attention will likely be modified again before it is finally added to the publication.

Thankyou everyone that has chosen to contribute. I do enjoy reading your thoughts and opinions, and everything will be taken into consideration for the final modifications and transition.

If anyone is interested, across the several platforms, #2 and #3 are pretty much hit for hit at the moment, with little love for #1. Keep your opinions coming!

Just to clarify as well, the image will be visible as B&W for those that are viewing through kindle, kobo, etc (on the actual devices) and colour everywhere else. I'm striving for an image that is eye catching in both situations. In regards to #2 seeming washed out, it is not the final product, and issues like that are something that can be changed later in the process.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
#2 All the way. I wouldn't look twice at the other two, and frankly don't like them even after I did.

I actually like #2, and not just out of the three choices.

The other two look too... square. Perhaps if they had the same amount of background as #2 they would look better, but still not like #2. The colors are just better. Also like the effect of the colors with the town or city scape, nice contrast. Almost like it's burning or something which grabs my attention even more.

Good luck on the thing. I'll have to read your other thread.
edit on 10-9-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. Everything has been considered, and I am probably leaning towards #2 myself, with a few changes to sharpen and smooth the look. If anyone else has any comments, I'd love to hear them!

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Just an update to anyone interested: on my Facebook page, I am offering a free signed copy of the book for one random winner after every 50 likes total on the images as a little incentive to get more opinions. Quick and easy to do, and it would help me out greatly.

Facebook

If this counts as advertising or anything else against the rules, mods, I apologize, please remove.

new topics

top topics

join