It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humongous RED sun setting tonight, Marion, Illinois

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I had to post this, can't help myself.

Walked outside about 20 minutes ago to talk to someone in my apartment parking lot, looked to the west and said OMG, is that the sun???? Was just totally above the horizon, getting ready to set and it was HUGE and RED and I swear I have never seen anything like it in all my years. Kinda freaked me out!!!

Anyone else in the area see it?

Sorry no pics, had to run half a block to get an unobstructed view and just stood there mezmerized

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Im in marion illinois too...down by the square..too bad i missed it!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Red sunset here in Lake County, IL as well.

Truly beautiful, but, hardly remarkable. It did this Saturday night, too.

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Hiya Neopan!

Well, I have only lived here a month. (Desperately seeking work, if you know of anything hehee)

Anyway, I called my sister, who also lives here, all excited I was too, and she told me she has seen that many many times, so now I feel a little stoopid. LOL BUT it was a GRAND sight and I am sorry you missed it!

Nice to know another ATS'r lives here!

Take care, peace out!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Sounds pretty cool. I remember when I was a little kid and I'd imagine that the sun looked like a big red "bouncy ball" - because you know, when you were 4 you liked playing with rubber balls. Can't say that it's anything out of the ordinary, but a red sunset is always beautiful.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

What struck me was the size of the sun and that I could look straight at it. It was just plain surreal! Wish I had had my welders glass with me! And a camera as well

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
It was a stunning RED sunrise this morning in Virginia !!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I'm in Southern Illinois, and I did see it. Yeah, I've seen it before, but I still like seeing it again.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Are from the bay area? We moved here from san fran in 1996... We lived on 44 th an kirkham at the end of the judah line.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I am from Marion too. What a sunset!
Crown boat is hiring in West Frankfort. My understanding is that they layed off 600 back in April, and when they called them back a few weeks ago 300 refused to return.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
its called the harvest moon will be happening lots for the next month or so
its from all the farm equipment getting the crops off the fields
it stirs up tons of dust and makes the moon appear orange or red and larger especially at sunset
should see it couple more times up until Halloween

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Neopan100

Are from the bay area? We moved here from san fran in 1996... We lived on 44 th an kirkham at the end of the judah line.

Yes, I lived in SF for a few years, moved over to the Mission for a few years, then moved to Berzerkeley, where I spent 18 lovely years :-)

I am originally from West Virginia, moved here to be near my sister, who lives here in Marion, out on the road to Lake of Egypt :-)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

dean007
its called the harvest moon will be happening lots for the next month or so
its from all the farm equipment getting the crops off the fields
it stirs up tons of dust and makes the moon appear orange or red and larger especially at sunset
should see it couple more times up until Halloween

Well, we are talking about the sun, not the moon...
BUT, the little sliver of moon we had last night was also kinda red

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Does anyone has any pics? its sounds fantastic. Funnily enough, we get pretty boring suns and moons in the UK, but about two weeks ago we had a bright orangey red moon, it pulled a few gasps I can tell you!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I saw something similar this morning!! I was driving my boyfriend to work and i was like "is that the SUN?" it just looked so huge, but he said it was normal, but at first i thought it was really weird too! I guess it's just not something you see everyday so it seems abnormal.

new topics

top topics

join