It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator Rand Paul's final attempt to sway fellow Senators not to strike Syria.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Remember folks, regardless of what happens (and I hope there is no military action) the most vocal opponent against the Syrian strike is a Republican and that Republican is a Paul.

washingtonexaminer.com...

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., sent a letter to his Senate colleagues Monday, urging them to vote against authorizing President Obama proposed military strike on Syria.

"The resolution to authorize force in Syria goes too far, and also not far enough, " Paul writes, "It does too much, but also too little."

Paul's letter makes the familiar libertarian case that bombing Syria will insert the United Staes into "a civil war in which there is no clearly defined American national security interest."

But Paul also argues that the the 90-day limitation for action in Syria also undermines American interests. "The resolution does too little by narrowly circumscribing the President's power to execute war," Paul writes.

"I disagree strongly with unlimited executive power to initiate war. But I have some sympathy for the argument that once war commences, the executive should not be hamstrung by a narrowed ability to execute that war."

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

I hope this letter and plea from Paul, in conjunction with mounting global/domestic condemnation, as well as current action plan (eg. Transfer Syrian Chemical Weapons to International oversight), makes supporting a strike an untenable position.

You can only BS the world and your constituents so much..

I think the outcome with regards to this decision will be a good determining factor to say if democracy is dead or not.
edit on 9-9-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Syria has agreed to hand over control of it's chemical weapons.
Russia instigated the request to Syria. Syria agreed.

That fulfills what John Kerry said would need to happen in order for no strike to happen.

So there should be NO STRIKE.

However, Hillary is saying this won't change anything. WTH????

John Kerry said that kind of off the cuff .... much like Obama's 'red line' remark.

The two of them are dolts.

Putin stepped in and saved the day. He IMMEDIATELY got Syria to agree to Kerry's
statement. Putin knows what he's doing. Smart guy. Kerry and Obama = idiots.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

However, Hillary is saying this won't change anything. WTH????

Yea, i read that too and equally shocked! What is she thinking. I am paraphrasing here, but i believe she said something to the effect that Syria could use this as a "delaying tactic".

Talk about not giving a peaceful conclusion a chance. Shooting down every attempt to resolve this diplomatically. I thought that was the point of foreign diplomats.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

This is what happens when we have insane psychopaths running things...

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Can I actually believe I am mentally praising the leader of the former Soviet Union over my countries own president?? Am I in some sort of bizarro dimension here??

For all those enamored with our winning presidential candidate, are you liking all this "hope and change" you were promised?

For me, I "hope" cooler heads prevail....and the administration "changes" their course of action to something resembling international foreign policy (as opposed to uninformed military threats and school yard bully tactics).

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hillary is just another US citizen. Her opinion isn't anything more than yours or mine.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Is it just me, but with all the idiots in power, running their mouths for the strike, it sure seems like the decision has been made, it's just a matter of when.

I'm just wondering what will happen, (that we are really behind,) to make it a go.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

roadgravel
Hillary is just another US citizen. Her opinion isn't anything more than yours or mine.

really?

I would love to say her opinions and ours are on the same level, but unfortunately that wont be the case my friend. We are not of the political caste, well I am not at least
, Its an exclusive club with benefits that don't fade with time or position.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

MDDoxs

roadgravel

really?

I would love to say her opinions and ours are on the same level, but unfortunately that wont be the case my friend. We are not of the political caste, well I am not at least
, Its an exclusive club with benefits that don't fade with time or position.

If you want to place trust and faith in her statements, be my guest. I won't be. I suppose there are foolish people who will blindly follow out there.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Huh? I think you may have misunderstood my position. I am certainly not taking her word on anything. However, I would suggest that her opinion would carry more weight than ours because of who she is and what she has done. I am not talking about the validity of that fact.

Feeling argumentative today or something?

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
If you mean some people out there will then yes, probably so. I would hope more people would make their own choices but we know many people are followers.

Look at Congress, the mess in the US, and tell me politicians have more sense and know how then the average person.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I was looking forward to his supposed upcoming filibuster. News sites are reporting that he has no plans for it.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

PrinceAdam
I was looking forward to his supposed upcoming filibuster. News sites are reporting that he has no plans for it.

He was hinting towards a filibuster with a comedic tilt but the democratic majority of the Senate would never give the floor to Rand Paul if they even had the slightest feeling he was going to filibuster another democratic/Obama agenda, thus humiliating his administration.

That is just the way it works. So he nipped it in the bud entirely when confronted in the Senate foreign relations committee hearing.

I'm not sure but I don't think Rand is going to be doing any standing filibusters for quite sometime, it may happen if the Republicans retake the Senate in 2014.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

eLPresidente

PrinceAdam

He was hinting towards a filibuster with a comedic tilt but the democratic majority of the Senate would never give the floor to Rand Paul if they even had the slightest feeling he was going to filibuster another democratic/Obama agenda, thus humiliating his administration.

That is just the way it works. So he nipped it in the bud entirely when confronted in the Senate foreign relations committee hearing.

I'm not sure but I don't think Rand is going to be doing any standing filibusters for quite sometime, it may happen if the Republicans retake the Senate in 2014.

Hes got the backing to fillibuster right now. It would be EPIC.

new topics

top topics

join