It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black square on Curiosity pic.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Is this an object or an image artifactmars.jpl.nasa.gov... The more i look at it the more i think ot could be an object. Its either an image artifact or a floating black square. Any oppinions from photo experts would be appreciated.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

Its a marker used for calibrating the Camera.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadellaczumbrum

Beat me to it ... I was also going to add that an artifact could be ruled out because the soil/dirt is displaced obviously.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Never seen Curiosity place a calibration marker on the ground like this. It doesn't look like a calibration marker at all (why would it be mostly black?). Our best bet is to ask the peeps at UMSF.

My guess is that it's corrupt image data. The black square isn't present on the adjoining image: mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 6-9-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

It is used for Contrast Calibration.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Orrrrrr,they could be hiding something? I have seen proportions of images completly blacked out but not a square. Its seems to have edges.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Is it a filter in the camera itself? There's no way it would be lying on the ground like this. Also, I have never heard of a contrast calibration pad for the Navcams, care to link to documentation where it is described? Thanks.

Originally posted by symptomoftheuniverse
Orrrrrr,they could be hiding something? I have seen proportions of images completly blacked out but not a square. Its seems to have edges.

The ground covered by this black square is visible in the adjoining image: mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 6-9-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

Is it a filter in the camera itself? There's no way it would be lying on the ground like this. Also, I have never heard of a contrast calibration pad for the Navcams, care to link to documentation where it is described? Thanks.

It's not a filter... the soil is displaced
.. yes it can be lying on the ground, why is that so hard to comprehend? the rover has a robotic arm after all..

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I think it's an image artifact -- maybe something that has to due with data loss (i.e., the data for that area was not received, or it is corrupted).

This is from one of the Navigation cameras (Navcams); Curiosity has two Navcams (left and right) that take pictures simultaneously. The image you posted is from the Right Navcam, but the left Navcam also took an image of that same area at the exact same time (2013-09-05 20:39:24 UTC), which I posted below, and as you can see the black square is not there:

Source

Granted, because the left Navcam is mounted slightly left of the right Navcam, the view from the left is slightly different. If you want to see more of that area, here is the next picture in that sequence from the Left Navcam, taken a few seconds after the one I posted above, after the camera panned to the right a bit:

Source

edit on 9/6/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

So, do you suspect they are "Hiding" rocks?

Or,

Could it be that NASA Filed a Freedom of Information Request?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by wildespace

It's not a filter... the soil is displaced
.. yes it can be lying on the ground, why is that so hard to comprehend? the rover has a robotic arm after all..

I suggest you learn about the rover and its instruments before you make such confident assumptions. The robotic arm cannot take things and place them somewhere on the ground. All calibration markers are installed on the rover itself. I have never heard of a contrast calibration marker for Navcams. Like I said, please link to documentation that supports the statement that it's a calibration marker.

And the fact that it's not visible in other images, taken of that same area at that same time, as pointed out by myself and Soylent Green, tells us that it's some kind of artifact in that particular image.

But I'm sure people at UMSF will give us the definitive answer.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I said, please link to documentation that supports the statement that it's a calibration marker.

It's impossible.

That information is classified TOP SECRET.

Only people who know about camera calibration knows that sort of thing.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

It's a sink hole ! ..bye bye Curiosity

Either that or what wildespace said , its on the image not the ground .

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I agree its a probable image artifact. But it could also be a flying black square close to the lense?
The artifact seems to have detail i.e lighter lines down the edge.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

flying black square

? ? ? ?

Like a UFO?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

flying black square

? ? ? ?

Like a UFO?
yep the same kind of thing in superman 2.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I said, please link to documentation that supports the statement that it's a calibration marker.

It's impossible.

That information is classified TOP SECRET.

Only people who know about camera calibration knows that sort of thing.

Then how do you know it's a calibration marker? (why do I get the feeling that this is a troll thread)

By the way, here are the two adjacent Navcam shots, showing the ground covered by the black square:

No coverup there.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I have to give the OP Credit. .. .

At least they were not asking for help to Identify a Rock the looked like Jesus.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Im not trolling,sorry. I asked for inputs from image experts,could they rule out this being an object?
Some people get paid a lot of money for thinking outside the box!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

That clearly debunks it. Case closed.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join