It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Emotional Saga of ATS as told by our friends "The Emoticons"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Strewth

It's a rebus for the 21st century.. Always loved those.

I want an emoticon for "ripping off the loincloth".

Yeah bring it....

edit on 7-9-2013 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
For a few boring reasons, I don't like emoticons... especially as labels to let people know you're being sarcastic, or just attempting a funny... if you need the help of a stupid smiley, frowny or barfing face, then you probably didn't express yourself well in the first place.

Plus they're uncool and terminally cutesy.

That said, the abbreviated nature of the nets does leave room for the lil' buggers... and your post was... tolerable. (solemn face cracking smile)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Just awesome! This is just one of the reasons I love ATS! There are plenty of brilliant and funny members! S&F!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Great, the new ATS is here to stay.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I kind of like the new layout. Switched from the dark view to the light view and it seems easier to read.

There is one thing I do find disappointing that I didn't notice until now. The lack of some of the more comedic, lighthearted, and animated emotions! I hope they make their come back soon!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I like the new theme. Very very clean, easy to read, nice design.

The emoticons however make me feel like a moron for using them. There is no 'cool' factor to them at all. The previous
and
and
and
had a sense of intelligence and grin or sarcasm. New ones don't.

Now they just look like they were made for small children. They aren't particularly cute they are just kind of inane. I realize they may seem like they 'match' with the current 'large and clean' design (a paradigm of its own) but IMO emoticons are their own separate world, because they are not about the 'template it is all within' but more about 'the actual communication of the members.'

The template is ATS's; the communication is mine, to the degree possible, if you see what I mean. I suspect for some people who aren't fond of the new design that the emoticon change is a big part of it.

The prior emoticons had at least a few that often "mirrored my feelings." The new set has none that could convey the adult and sometimes slightly subtle "emotional information" that I wish to convey. So I must cease using them altogether or, if it's an option (I don't see it here), force the system to not render them as emoticons.

I hope they will reconsider that part of the new design.

edit: I see the roll-eyes emoticon has vanished entirely. Maybe it's just me, but the loopy smile, slightly wicked over-grin, lol and roll-eyes are emoticons I find I seem to need a lot when talking about subjects like politics, aliens, psychic powers and the end of the world...

edit on 9-9-2013 by RedCairo because: realized the : @@ : vanished

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RedCairo

I'm with you on that.
tis poo poo ka ka

The OP's OP is kinda missing things with the implementation of the new ones.

aslo: I want my 'friends' back

on a serious note: the smiley's still insert to the end of a post when editing
And, you can't copy paste them once posted (I don't know if that was possible with the old ones?).

die

hehehehe

edit:and I hate to moan, I do, really, I'm a nice guy, I promise, but I just learnt that I have to close my eyes when I submit a post for fear of being blinded by what I suppose is the 'light theme' 'posting' screen.lol
I'll have a and a smoke and fhut the shuck up now
edit on 2013/9/9 by jimjolnir because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I hope they will reconsider that part of the new design.

In progress

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
LOL - check out my OP fellas

Looks like I was drunk-posting whilst driving and texting.

A small price to pay.

Awesomeness has finally arrived, unless The Boss man has another epiphany.

Brofist

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Strewth

LOL - check out my OP fellas

Well, you went from the funniest OP of the week to the driest one in one flip of a switch.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Strewth

Oh it's just horrible with the new emoticons.

However I do like the layout and am learning my way around otherwise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join