It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taoist Enigma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
So, as a Taoist, how do you try to explain the unexplainable? Do you find it hard getting across the concept to people who are so dogmatic in their thinking? Do you even bother?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I'm not a Taoist per say, in a traditional sense, though I did luck into a ceremony years ago with a Taoist master. But as a Universalist Sufi..... I have often started typing up a reply about metaphysical matters only to delete it before posting. I find the words are never clear enough, the concepts too beyond words, trying to explain that everything can be monotheism, pantheism, polytheism, most isms, all at the same time, and that truth is more dimensional then these 3d concepts we make up in textbooks. That everything can be divided and separate, and one, and not one.... Yes. I just deleted some thoughts on another thread here a few minutes ago, before I ever even hit the post button. It tires my brain... It's like trying to talk about the color green when only the words blue and yellow exist... Except yellow is a highly guarded secret, and most people talk about red. Or maybe not. I don't have the answers and am not an advanced master of something. But I feel you. My religion doesn't fit into easy words. Although there are masters who have been great and profound with elucidating these ideas, beyond ideas.
edit on 6-9-2013 by AudioOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by taoistguy
So, as a Taoist, how do you try to explain the unexplainable?

That's easy. Break out the Merriam-Webster

unexplainable [adjective]

impossible to explain

www.merriam-webster.com...

No need to thank me…I can hear the sound of your one hand clapping.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

I don't clap with 1 hand; that's Buddhists.

I clap with 1 hand.
(I'm a Taoist; I'm allowed to be contradictory.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Personally I don't bother anymore since "the Tao that can be described (explained) is not the Tao".

Anything I say can only point to bits and pieces of the Tao.

All things come from no thing.. etc.

And I have more interesting things to do than waste my breath anyway..

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Taoism... simply seeing the duality in all things and using a skillful effort to harmonize and balance the two, or put them in the middle ground... it's a very solid path, because avoiding the extremes is the path. Typically the mind thinks black or white with a small possibility for change or understanding the other side. You catch the mind or environment in either of the two polarization's, you stop look at the other side to understand it to bring it into, complete balance and harmony. Be like water. The Yin and Yang eventually disappear and what's left is a circle...

This is what the Taoist masters that converted to Buddhism at the heart of Shaolin, are pointing at when you see the zen circle. There are the ten Ox herding pictures that show the progression very well. Originally there where only eight pictures, with the influence of the Bodhisattva concept, the last pictures were added to the set. To explain the iconography, the Bull Ox is the mind, the little fellow is the consciousness... it is a very clear and simple depiction of the Taoist path even though it is usually only found in Buddhism.

It is interesting how the two blended influenced and grew with each other, unfortunately in some instances these blends have created some sediment to rise up and cloud the teachings. Like the Hou Tau is a Taoist meditation, brought into buddism, as well as the 10 herding pictures. In the Eastern tradition, it has been work smarter not harder... if something rose that was quicker and simpler that did the same job, the previous was abandoned. But looking to the early writings and roots of Buddhism in China, is where you find the most Tao... as most of the masters jumped ship.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy

"True words are not beautiful; Beautiful words are not true." - Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu

also, as Albert Einstein said:

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

The way to explain the that which cannot be explained is to not go into to many details. Keep it as simple as possible. For most people this means "God", "Universe", "Oneness", or "Unity".

Use their terms to make it as simple as possible.

Here is how I would explain:

Presence and absence are really a unity because the absence of one thing equates to the presence of another, so in reality there is always presence of something.

To apply this principle in your life, acknowledge the things that are there in appreciation instead of the things that are not. It will make life much more fulfilling when the feeling of neediness is not present and appreciation feels that gap.

Everything that is present can be seen as serving a purpose.
The presence of The Sunlight gives light to the flowers so that they can grow healthy and strong.
The absence of The Sunlight on a rainy day, gives the flowers the water needed to survive.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I would give you a googolplex of stars for this if ATS allowed it.
They would be well deserved.

edit on 10-9-2013 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
A being within Tao understands to not provide dissection of bits and pieces, whole or parts, as these answers will be given to each directly from the Source. Ego has overtaken the being if that is the attempted course.
edit on 10-9-2013 by tkwasny because: (no reason given)

top topics

join