It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Sending 'Fat Letters' To Parents About Overweight Children

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

No one is telling the fat people what to do. Hospitals, ambulances, and so forth are being modified or reconstructed to accommodate the obese. Bringing awareness to the obese childrens parents is not illegal. Did you know you can get your kid taken away of you let it get so fat that it can't walk? You think that the state was wrong in this case?

www.cbsnews.com...

If a child was being starved purposely, is it okay? This kid was purposely being fed Twinkies and Cheetos all day.

I agree there are many times the government goes way too far and stretches their authority, but come on. There are so many situations where the government does not do enough for the citizens too.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by awhispersecho

It's ironic, isn't it, that so many can ascribe cynicism to government dictates on the one hand, and yet blindly obey and adhere to government dictates on the other.

I find it far more ironic that the same people who say the political correctness is a plague all show up here to defend peoples' "feelings".

I don't trust the government or the FDA one bit. You know who I do trust, though? Science.

Science isn't exactly split on this issue. If you're OBESE (people need to stop saying "overweight" as if the two terms are interchangeable) you have a lower quality of life, a lower life expectancy, and a plethura of diseases in your future.

Children are consistently protected by and from their parents on issues that pertain to their health and well-being on so many different issues. However, for some reason (likely because parents are too busy being offended about their own weight problems), we need to protect the parents from getting a letter that says your child is in line to get a whole slew of cardiovascular, peancreatic, and liver disease?

I'm sorry, but shouting some zealous rhetorical fallacies about communism isn't going to convince those of us with our heads on straight that being obese (not overweight) is no big eal because of "freedom". Freedom doesn't apply when a human being is directly negatively affecting another human being. These parents are currently the only ones with "freedom", the freedom to poison their children and then cry about a piece of paper that says they're going to get sick. Sometimes I wonder who the real children are.
edit on 7-9-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
A diet imbalance can have bad effects on a growing child.

Everyone needs sugar but improperly introduced its a burden.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Black people are more prone to sickle cell anemia, and by the way some here are frothing at the mouth about fat people, should they be eradicated too?
Listen to yourselves oh my god these children will become adults and they will go through bodily changes through adolescence.
I know of some in history that wanted everyone to be the same as well, most notably, Adolf Hitler.
Congrats on moving forward toward the final solution!

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I really don't see any problem with this. All this is is a letter informing parents that their child is overweight. Seeing how obesity can lead to health problems, this seems fairly reasonable to inform parents that their child might have or could get health problems. It's just a letter, you guys can still load up your children with junk food and all sorts of other things, nobody's taking that right away from you. The police aren't going to knock down your doors at 4 am and demand because you don't know how to feed your children (or can't due to poverty/other reasons).

The outrage at this is almost as dumb as the outrage over school lunches being healthier. Oddly enough, I've seen similar complaints with both issues.

Originally posted by Privateinquotations
reply to post by Hollie

Black people are more prone to sickle cell anemia, and by the way some here are frothing at the mouth about fat people, should they be eradicated too?
Listen to yourselves oh my god these children will become adults and they will go through bodily changes through adolescence.
I know of some in history that wanted everyone to be the same as well, most notably, Adolf Hitler.
You're comparing bringing awareness of possible health issues of children to their parents to the Holocaust. Just think about that for a moment.
edit on 7-9-2013 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Hollie

Sickle Cell is a genetic disease that the victim inherits from birth. Obesity is not and is preventable, so I am confused on how they compare. I am not sure of anyone that said fatties should be eradicated? That is kind of extreme.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Privateinquotations

Yeah let's eradicate people with sickle cell anemia by finding a cure, and obese children with exercise and reasonable nutritional decisions. Is that what you meant? Or was it something moronic?

Edit:

Also "bodily changes through adolescence" will not change the eating habits and feasting rituals that are the way of life for many obese children who become obese adults in America.
edit on 7-9-2013 by LizardSlicks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Here's two news stories that I'm sure some of you will absolutely L-U-V.

Harvard University child obesity expert Dr. David Ludwig's recent claim that some parents should lose custody of their severely obese children has sparked outrage among families and professionals across the country.

The national outcry led one family to share how its personal experience with the matter damaged their lives.

Ludwig, an obesity expert at Children's Hospital Boston and associate professor at the Harvard School of Public Health, shared his divisive idea in an opinion piece that ran in the Journal of the American Medical Association Wednesday: that state intervention can serve in the best interest of extremely obese children, of which there're about 2 million across the United States

Childhood Obesity: A Call for Parents to Lose Custody

Is child obesity a form of child neglect?

Of course not. That's ridiculous. But, it seems, the ridiculous is now standard operating procedure in the upside down world of the Department of Children and Family Services of Cuyahoga County in Ohio. In a case making headlines around the country, the agency recently decided that a Cleveland third grader should be taken from his mother and placed in foster care.

Was this an instance of child abuse? Apparently not. Was it an urgent situation that required this local government entity to immediately intervene and take the drastic step of separating a family? It doesn't seem so.

In fact, county public defender Sam Amata told reporters that his office would challenge the removal because the boy was not in imminent danger.

Here's the alleged abuse: The 8-year-old boy weighed more than 200 pounds, and officials essentially claimed that his mother was to blame for not doing enough to help her son lose weight. So they went into the home and took the child away. Just like that.

Taking obese child from mom is wrong

and there's hundreds more !! ....
google search for " officials take obese kids away "

commies again !!

edit on Sep-07-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
What really burns me up is I can't take shots with my 5 year old. I'm a fullblown alcoholic and these commies are keeping me from enjoying copious amounts of hard liquor with my kindergartner.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
maybe we should begin dispatching letters of our own to the school admins.

we can call them "globalist pawn letters"

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LizardSlicks

What's funny is that i was making fun of the extremes some of you were taking it with my last post.

Also "bodily changes through adolescence" will not change the eating habits and feasting rituals that are the way of life for many obese children who become obese adults in America.

My diet and eating habits have changed all through my life. Guess what i was picky as hell and made poor diet decisions through my early 20's and i was thin as a rail.
Now i eat healthier and more various foods than ever and i weigh more than i ever have and am probably in worse shape than ever.
To each their own i guess...
edit on 7-9-2013 by Privateinquotations because: (no reason given)

having obese children is no more child abuse than letting your child ride a bike or a skateboard. Such activities "COULD" lead to life threatening injuries. It could have been prevented had you just never let your child ride that bike.....

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Privateinquotations

What's really funny (sad) is you're still not making sense. You're in worse shape than ever because of the way humans experience time and our biological bodies wear out. Being obese is not an activity or extreme sport. Only my opinions and stuff, of course. You can't put a helmet on your diabetes.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

having obese children is no more child abuse than letting your child ride a bike or a skateboard. Such activities "COULD" lead to life threatening injuries. It could have been prevented had you just never let your child ride that bike.....
Oh my goodness! Riding a bike does not lead to preventable diseases. Are you reading what you are typing? You have to come up with realistic comparisons here.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LizardSlicks
What really burns me up is I can't take shots with my 5 year old. I'm a fullblown alcoholic and these commies are keeping me from enjoying copious amounts of hard liquor with my kindergartner.

Another beauty !!

Liquor for minors is against the law.

Don't agree, then change the law.

Send a "Letter" to your Congressman.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Actually a letter is too impersonal for such a delicate subject. I think the school nurse should be calling the parents. My goodness as a child, I got free dental care, free physicals, free shots, etc.. All for the asking. My SIL has done dental work for the borough.

My goodness schools have medical personal so why not utilize them? It is just a scale being used. And it can make a lot of difference hearing it from someone else. Besides, how many people have a Dr chubs who never says anything.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

So, "healthy" people don't get diabetes, heart disease, bone and joint problems, social or psychological problems? Who knew?!?!
So, cps should take everyone's children away because life can lead to all of these things no matter what you do.

Do people run on a treadmill in a bunker come out to eat their bran, fruit, and homegrown vegetables, then, scurry back down to the safety of the bunker treadmill?

Worry about yourself and your own kids, let others worry about theirs. You have no crystal ball that can state for a fact that a certain child will get x disease from y factor without a doubt. There are too many variables!

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I think we should have standards for teachers and government officials and politicians.

Their IQ's, since they claim to have our best interests at heart, should all be above 180.

If not, then they are idiots and should be removed immediately.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Hollie

So, "healthy" people don't get diabetes, heart disease, bone and joint problems, social or psychological problems? Who knew?!?!
So, cps should take everyone's children away because life can lead to all of these things no matter what you do.

Do people run on a treadmill in a bunker come out to eat their bran, fruit, and homegrown vegetables, then, scurry back down to the safety of the bunker treadmill?

Worry about yourself and your own kids, let others worry about theirs. You have no crystal ball that can state for a fact that a certain child will get x disease from y factor without a doubt. There are too many variables!

Hahah the increased risks are 3 fold for the obese. I think you know this. I do not understand your second statement. But as for your third, it is a fact that more children than ever, without a doubt, are at extreme risk of getting a disease or suffering from other health issues brought on by obesity. Yes from factor X and factor Y. Science does tell us this using variables.

I am not sure if Science is your friend or not, but statistics have been published over and over by many different authorities for everyone to see. No crystal ball needed. I do worry about myself. I encourage you to worry about yourself and your children as well! It is your duty. Especially if they are toeing that line crossing over to obesity, but I would do it well before then.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Here is a question,
Can you make a troll fat by feeding them?

herp derp

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Yeah but they're just commie laws written by commies aren't they? And why would I send a letter to some commie? All I want is for my kin to adopt my bad habits. This is my right over them. I play the role of "top commie" in my family.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join