It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternate plan for western nations to address Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I know there will be a, eh ... "variety" of responses to this, but here goes ...

I am concerned that any military action taken by Western nations (the US in particular) to intervene in Syria will:

1. Not prevent any further killing.
  2. Not deter the existing regime from doing whatever they want.
  3. Not protect or otherwise address any threat to the US (or likely any other Western nations).

However, clearly there is a giant humanitarian crsis resulting from the Syrian Civil-War.

For the US in particular (and possibly other Western nations), I propose a different strategy that addresses the humanitarian crisis, without requiring military action:

1. Obviously, provide additional resources to support neighboring countries efforts to help refugees. That obviously is only a short-term solution.
  2. Offer refugees emigration to the United States (and hopefully other nations).

I know immigration (in the US in particular) is a hot-topic of it's own. So, I expect a lot of extreme right-wing, elitist and possibly even out-right racist responses. Personally, I am a huge believer in immigration - being descended from immigrants myself (along with "most" of the rest of the US population).

Obviously, nobody wants to leave their home, and their homeland. I assume most refugees in this crisis did not want to leave theirs. But, I think offering them a place to (peacefully) start-over, and raise their families has the potential to be a huge "win-win":

1. Refugees get permanently out of the war-zone.
  2. They get a place to raise the next-generation.
  3. The next generation grow's-up in Western countries.
  4. Growing up in the US and other Western countries allows that next generation to act as a better "bridge" to develop the long-term goals / strategies / policies for how the West addresses the issues in that region.

From the inscription at the Statue of Liberty:

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

Let the flaming begin.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Yeah , bring Al-Qaeda to the west whilst pretending they`re Syrian refugees ... then when the US attacks they`re not even there
..... just one of many holes in the plan to help the Syrians.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
We have enough tired, poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free in America as it is.

edit on 5-9-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reform the UN, create a multinational peacekeeping military force that can be deployed on the consensus of the security council, all partners contribute equally monetarily, expand Un security council members to include a rotating number of other countries to avoid stalemate in decision making. Why this has not been done, is the current leaders love power and authority over fairness. We need more accountable leaders. To make leaders more accountable the current international system needs to be reworked. Who has the power to do that? Our corrupt leaders. Its a vicious circle and the list of implications goes on and on. There is no easy solution.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Here's my alternate plan: It's a Middle Eastern country so let the ME solve the gd problem. This has nothing to do with the West.

We stick our nose everywhere it doesn't belong. It's time for the US to learn its location in the world and to adjust its priorities with that in mind.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Nice . . . in theory . . . but how about the US federal and state governments taking care of the tired, starving, hungry and poor inside these borders first before going out and embellishing this altruistic facade they like to put up for those who don't live in some of the more squalid regions of the US.

Yes, there are unfortunate souls in the MIddle East who are suffering and dying horrible deaths . . . as they are in Chicago, East LA, Detroit . . . just to name a few. There's people out there who are diagnosed with life threatening illness that turn terminal because they've got no health care, kids are being raised to be nothing more than lobotomized tube-ites that cannot live without their gameboys, televisions and other mind-numbing devices because we can't afford to educate them. Our justice system sucks donkey honker, our political system is swirling the bowl and our jobs, what few are left, are headed to those countries we so seemingly hate.

Why we're even contemplating lobbing missiles at the price of over $1 million each into a country that hates our guts is completely beyond comprehension.

They shouldn't be bombing, aiding, helping, bailing out or otherwise doing sweet bugger-all until their own house is in order.

Just sayin'.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
There is plenty of room in Europe for them to go to first. Not saying we shouldn't give them a place to go, but lets not be the first to jump up and say, "Hey! Come on in and have some free stuff!" We have more than enough on our plate here in America without having to worry about what's happening there unless absolutely needed and asked for.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well I guess my biggest concern with refugee immigration to America would be having more youth in the same frame of mind as the Boston marathon bombers. That they would bring with them their fanatacical ideas that America is the great Satan and they are assuruping themselves a place in heaven with 72 virgins for killing all of us infedels.

If they wish to leave Syria, by all means help them get to a neighboring middle east country that shares the same cultural views. But bring them to America? I don't think that cultural shock is going to go as smoothly as we all would hope it will, and may ourselves be shocked - when home terrorist attacks increase as our refugee count increases.

For me, it just seems like we would be leaving an open invitation door for fanatics to get on American soil and get back at us evil people, by our own invitation. So I'm all for for helping the refugees - to another middle eastern country - but not America. Keep your sharia, infedel, world domination crap in the middle east. Don't ask for us to put up with it in America. We have already learned to separate law and religion . So that the law applies to everyone EQUALLY, despite your belief. Whatever it may be. Until ALL Muslims learn and agree with this - they are not ready to become an American immigrant. Right or wrong - that's how I view it currently.

Cirque

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I actually think you may be onto something.

The only problem I see is the "terrorists" claiming asylum.
Find a way to deal with that, and its a possibility.

That is the sort of message to send the world at a time like this.
That is helping, its honourable, and its right.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

If they wish to leave Syria, by all means help them get to a neighboring middle east country that shares the same cultural views. But bring them to America? I don't think that cultural shock is going to go as smoothly as we all would hope it will, and may ourselves be shocked - when home terrorist attacks increase as our refugee count increases.

I totally agree. My first thought was of the Boston bombers too. Even though they were raised in America, the oldest one never felt like he belonged and most of them will almost always long to know their original culture and heritage. See how confused it made Obama? He grows up with his mother and grandparents, yet he felt compelled to write a book about the "Dreams of My Father". It never fails. They always want to try and understand those who have rejected them or where they come from.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: EnhancedInterrogator
Funny how threads from 2 years ago, seem even more relavant today.

new topics

top topics

join