It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The trolls are real.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I just had a random thought pop up that I don't think has been discussed yet in the context of a SHTF scenario and that is the character of internet trolls transferring into the real world during an emergency.

Donath provides a concise overview of identity deception games which trade on the confusion between physical and epistemic community:

“Trolling is a game about identity deception, albeit one that is played without the consent of most of the players. The troll attempts to pass as a legitimate participant, sharing the group's common interests and concerns;

en.wikipedia.org...(Internet)

You see, there's variety of trolls.
Some will outright attempt to gauge your emotions while others will do it more subtle.
Now in the SHTF scenario, these types of people will be out, desperate. Know this.

- "intentionally provocative actions"

- "Based on a lack of censure, and experimental nature"

A concern troll is a false flag pseudonym created by a user whose actual point of view is opposed to the one that the user claims to hold.

The mind games they play on the internet are a very real thing that can transfer and be applied into real world situations.

Combine that with an intent to take your things or kill you.
These people will screw with you if they can.
Just be mindful of that added extra dimension if it were to ever occur.

edit on 5/9/13 by masqua because: added link

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Nope .

Trolling is the act of bombarding somebody , whether it be on the internet or not , with irrelevant information. It`s not about Identity Deception , it is about trying to have fun whilst derailing threads , or posting stupid comments.

Even the media are trying to create their own spin on trolling , claiming that trolling is the act of bullying people to suicide . They`re trying to create an image of "evil" people patrolling the net and trying to kill your kids so they can scare you into accepting laws on the internet and arrest you for simply typing words into a machine.

Good post though.

EDIT : Anyone that allows words on a screen to effect their lives has mental issues . You want to end the bull#### , you just click a button and the troll is gone.
edit on 5-9-2013 by AthiestJesus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthiestJesus
Trolling is the act of bombarding somebody , whether it be on the internet or not , with irrelevant information.

That is clearly an intent not to be reckoned with in an emergency.

Even the media are trying to create their own spin on trolling , claiming that trolling is the act of bullying people to suicide . They`re trying to create an image of "evil" people patrolling the net and trying to kill your kids so they can scare you into accepting laws on the internet and arrest you for simply typing words into a machine.

Are there not evil people on the internet?

I agree we shouldn't get crazy with laws on the internet but this should not be the Wild West where you are free to do as you please. There needs to be self-regulation which at this point has been proven ineffective.

EDIT : Anyone that allows words on a screen to effect their lives has mental issues . You want to end the bull#### , you just click a button and the troll is gone

Emotions are a strong internal process on both ends of the spectrum, the one doing the trolling and the trolled.
The word is only as powerful as you estimate it to be.

edit on 5-9-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Trolls? What trolls?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Mod note:

On this website, words do have consequence as per the Terms & Conditions which were agreed to by each and every member before they could post word one.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

When you need to create imaginary scenarios to prove a point then maybe you shouldn`t be deciding what we can and can not do on the internet .

Sorry but saying there`s evil people on the internet , and basically asking for an Orwellian state are two totally different things . The internet should never , ever be restricted . The authorities are supposed to be tracking IP`s of paedophiles and rapists with the web , not watching forums to see what words I`m using .

Don`t tell me you`ve never trolled before , in fact you`re kinda doing it right now dude.

Bullying is bullying , threats are threats , it`s not like the internet is a different planet , lets stop trying to treat it like one.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Mod note:

On this website, words do have consequence as per the Terms & Conditions which were agreed to by each and every member before they could post word one.

Yes but that`s because it`s privately owned .

I could make a website and have a rule which prevents you from saying the word "apple" or something , doesn't mean we need to go ape sh~t .

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthiestJesus
When you need to create imaginary scenarios to prove a point then maybe you shouldn`t be deciding what we can and can not do on the internet .

lol

Sorry but saying there`s evil people on the internet , and basically asking for an Orwellian state are two totally different things .

Asking for an Orwellian state, how dramatic can you get.

The internet should never , ever be restricted .

Why? To prove a point about freedom? Should the internet also be 'free', worldwide, not restricted?

Don`t tell me you`ve never trolled before , in fact you`re kinda doing it right now dude.

Bullying is bullying , threats are threats , it`s not like the internet is a different planet , lets stop trying to treat it like one.

Not a different world but a different dimension to our current one, thus it is treated differently.
edit on 5-9-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Some will outright attempt to gauge your emotions while others will do it more subtle.
Now in the SHTF scenario, these types of people will be out, desperate. Know this.

In regards to trolls for those of us who are preparing for a SHTF scenario here's my advice. Shoot first, ask questions afterwards. For internet trolls observe first then shoot.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Should the internet also be 'free', worldwide, not restricted?

Hell yeah, why not?

This describes debate and discussion to me, but to you it seems

I think its rather ignorant to make assumptions on others purpose and trolling has now become a new label that can be applied to internet users who differ in opinions and argue their opinions till their heads turn blue.

That could simply be stubbornness in the real world yet over the internet its trolling.

Truth is found when the hardest and toughest obstacles are over come, anyone attempting to overcome these obstacles will be quickly labeled a troll or dis info agent because the hard path in life is one many stray from to take the easy one.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Identity deception is totally a part of trolling. It's not always the case of course because one does not always need to reveal too much about their own characteristics to troll their opinion, but sometimes enhancing the identity of the screen name will suck people into the troll.

damn straight they are real. I try not to talk about it too much because you can't really start that game of calling certain individuals trolls when you have no proof, but it's very obvious that some just come here to troll. You can't get into an argument with a troll and then suggest they are one because some will take it that it's only being said to help win the argument but there are subtle things that will tip you off that one is a troll... and it's often better to let them point themselves out by just treating them like any other poster. Those who are following along might take notice, but maybe not because it is a subtle deception game. We know that in some cases, people have been EMPLOYED to troll... and for this reason it is important for a troll to come up with a long lasting identity.

If new people keep coming in here out of the blue to post blunted opinions... of course this could be suspect, so one might want to attempt developing a a long term persona to avoid that suspicion. If you are on a forum long enough, you will HAVE to talk about yourself or tell a few stories eventually because we are all speaking from our own experiences and opinions here. It would even be better for it to come off as crazy or negative rather than unconvincing and too professional. I have seen it a hundred times. So long as it is authentic looking.

Now that I'm mentioning these things, I wonder if it makes me look as though I have some experience in this regard, lol. I do not because I do not like the feeling I could be caught in a lie in anything I do and I've never felt the need to troll. I did make up a fake name on fb one time to see if a relative was blocking me but she wasn't and I immediately erased it. I had no intentions of trolling. I have been trolled COUNTLESS times. In very personal ways I might add. Imagine if someone on this site just started emailing your personal email even though you had not posted it in any way... and they knew your name. And it was all to pretend to be someone who does not exist and basically troll you. That's certainly not the only way I have been trolled. I have been trolled by people claiming to be other people NUMEROUS times, solely to upset me. I'm sure many have been trolled with love interests only for them to turn on you once they have you snared... and it's all to upset people. I have been trolled with threats of violence. I have been trolled by people pretending to be family members. I have been trolled by people who do not come out and directly claim to be faimily members but they attempt to carry likenesses of people I know.... and it's supposed to make me think "could that be so n so".... if I know certain people come to the same site as me... and you just have to keep putting stuff like that right out of your mind because if people want to say something to you, they should have the balls to come right out and say it to your face... so it doesn't matter and if they don't, why assume it is the person it's supposed to appear to be when you know you have enemies.

I know I have enemies. It's no mystery to me anymore and I used to get very worked up because I knew I was being trolled but it was a level of trolling that is way too personal and seems to almost be occupational... and they are all cowards, so trolls are just an annoyance like having a case of flies in your house. You can't catch them, you have to outsmart them by letting them land on something and reveal themselves.

I now know why I get trolled.... and strangely, it doesn't bother me now to know that I get personally trolled.
I just hate realizing that I am wasting my time arguing with a troll that might not be personally directed to me at all. Trolls trying to attack me personally really don't phase me at all. It's like you develop and immunity after a while. It gets funny after a while that hey direct attention to certain people. It makes you realize just how desperate and fruitless the endeavors of some really are.
edit on 5-9-2013 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The real world trolls you are describing are known by another name: sociopaths.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think the gist of this thread is confusing the issue about trolls to ignore the loaded reason why trolls exist beyond those that simply do it to make themselves feel powerful in some twisted way.

Trolls by government and business have an agenda that they are paid to promote. They come in all flavors, the serious, the debunker, the scholarly, the idiot, the uniformed. the sidetracker and half a dozen others manners in which to work their skill.

It ain't all done just for fun.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I thought those were sock puppets ?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

yes... and that can probably also be said for a lot of internet trolls as well.

compulsive sociopathic liars. Sociopaths are reknown for being the type of person who will get next to you and try to screw with your head. The mafia was traditionally known to be full of sociopaths...and this was often how they build partnerships only to begin mentally and physically terrorizing people. They walk around with this facade of being all together but in reality they are just fluctuating their words and actions to suit their agenda. They have a cardboard personality that covers a broken core and oddly, the rare multiple personality disorder types often have sociopathic lead personalities...and they are some of the most likely types to commit a crime that will considered temporary insanity. It's almost like the internet gives them an avenue of a new way to be manipulative and screw people over... but at the same time, they must have, at some point, to look at all their screen names and various endeavors and arguments and say to themselves "gee... I might really have some issues after all"

I'd rather deal with these types online than in real life... anything to slow them down because they are a true menace to society. The worst of that lot are truly sick individuals.

I little internet trolling is not uncommon among average people so I'm not saying they are all criminals but it's important to point out where the roots lead. just remember the woman who cyber bullied her daughters rival and the girl wound up killing herself? She thought that was harmless trolling. It's really a sickness.... even in milder forms. I recommend that no one goes down that path even as a joke because you never know.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Internet trolls are the same types you would often find selling questionable products and services, like poor used cars for instance.
Liars have always been among us in abundance. It seems to be a mechanism for personal gain at minimum expense. Jesus threw a bunch of them out of the temple. We still have a crowd running the Federal Reserve.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

What are they called in the virtual world? Same thing!

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

while true:

in the "real" world one has super-moderator powers:
when you bring the ban-hammer down on their skulls

the ban is permanent

try not to get any brains on you though

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Yes trolls are very real, some of them you would not even know there trolls. And some of them are so inconspicuous they could even be your next door neighbor, and some are so trollish that there even frowned upon in the troll network. And if you did not know there is a troll network now you know.

Anybody can be a troll, even me. Just kidding everybody except me can be a troll.
However I can be quite trollish sometimes. Some trolls have been trolling for so long that there practically part of scenery on pretty much any site you would go to. And some trolls have even been known to even troll other trolls. And then there are the trolls who dont even know there trolls, those are the worst and you got to watch out for them, as they may even actually believe the # they say. But yes on the internet its practically a plethora of who's who.

Have you heard of that game wheres waldo? Yup its like that only not so easy to spot the troll, and waldo is possibly trolling you all, while your busy looking for the troll.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

of course there is evil on the internet and ignorance, and arrogance, and cheek, and lies, and deceit, WHY?
because the internet is run by people. the same people right outside your door...yes one and the same....
where you find man you will find all the above, occasionally a decent one...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join