It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Syrian Defense Minister General Ali Habib defects

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Former Syrian Defense Minister General Ali Habib defects

www.reuters.com

"Ali Habib has managed to escape from the grip of the regime and he is now in Turkey, but this does not mean that he has joined the opposition. I was told this by a Western diplomatic official," Kamal al-Labwani said from Paris.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com
worldnews.nbcnews.com< br /> news.yahoo.com
edit on 4-9-2013 by Catacomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
With everything going on over there, I figured some people would be interested in this news of his defection. Did a search, and didn't see it posted, yet.

What does everyone think of this news? Do you think that he has vital military information that he leaked to the US? Did we promise him asylum? Or, is he just getting out of the country before it gets blasted to bits? Maybe he was set to be killed?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Catacomb

This person recently defected as well:

Syrian chemical weapons official has defected from Assad regime
www.abovetopsecret.com...
by CALGARIAN
started on 9/3/2013 @ 11:04 AM

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Just another Example of Rats leaving a Sinking Ship..........Ho Hum......

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
i believe the ones who pulled the trigger where suckered.and the ones who gave the "go ahead", dont want too go too war crimes trial.
or as they say,, singing like canaries, in a Abyss.

(a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity; vast chasm. 2. anything profound, unfathomable, or infinite: the abyss of time. 3. a. the primal chaos before Creation.)

Abyss,,

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

it is well,known rats will leave a sinking ship; Syria is the ship that is to be sunk, it will not go down with out a fight, Syria will be our next Korea or Nam; know one will know friend from foe , we will have to get boots on the ground to end it, 60 day action will do nothing in defeating Assad www.washingtonpost.com... aaf19ab_story.html Putin will come to Syria's er
Assad side if the UN does not give the US the blessing Obama seeks, needs. from the link

Putin warns U.S. not to strike Syria, dismisses case against Assad as ‘rumors’

Video: Russian President Vladimir Putin warned the West against taking action in Syria but also said Russia “doesn't exclude” supporting a U.N. resolution on punitive military strikes.
Obama needs to rethink this before it is to late

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

You know, I don't mind the way Obama is playing this.

What are his options here?

1. Limited air strikes
2. Hardcore air strikes
3. No Fly Zone
4. Boots on the ground
5. Political talk and no action

Now, is Syria really worth risking a confrontation with China and Russia over, really?
Are they threatening us?
Are they bombing us?
Are they building nukes and threatening our friends?

Sure, people being gassed and dying is horrendous, but.. isnt Mugabe butchering his people?
isnt the US executing people? isnt China torturing people?
People are being killed and tortured every day, we cant go around nitpicking who we defend, its either all or nothing and lets be realistic, you'll never stop all of it.

So what should Obama do? limited air strikes?... what happens when a jet is shot down?
Should he just launch various cruise missiles?... what happens when Assad is removed from power, who will take over?
Boots on the ground is totally naive and stupid.

Personally, Obama is doing the best possible thing he can do, he is stalling. he is using politics and the UN.

People want to shout at Obama over everything, but he doesn't have a choice here. He doesn't want war, the US cant afford a war but Israel is doing its best to force the US into one.

''This, is a whole new language the likes of which the world has never seen before''

..and unfortunately none of us outside the circle know the truth of whats going on.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Why leave if Syria is a beacon of hope and prosperity?

I am waiting to see what he comes with. Maybe proof of Chemical weapons, atrocities? Usually they give those who defect a cozy deal, or amnesty.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
With future US military intervention + Al Qaeda + foreign mercenaries + foreign spooks + Syrian rebels, well I would have left Syria a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

You don't say!
Well my stars, I never would have guessed!

S&F

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Obama's pre-strike is having an immediate effect on the regime internally. People want out before they get dragged through the streets. High ranking defections are a sign it is about over for the regime. Right before Kaddafi fell, a lot of his cronies fled the crime scene also. Obama's strike will send a clear message that those involved in chemical weapons use will be held accountable.

This guy should know the inner circles contingency plans for the regimes next move after the Tomahawks start smacking targets. At the very least he can give insight to how many more contacts he has that are looking to jump ship at any moment.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Has this news been backed up anywhere else, I am hearing the telegraph.co.uk but they are citing rebel quotes, nothing from Turkey.

I think the best course of action if Russia agree the evidence is true is for Russia to persuade Assad to leave and be given immunity in Russia. An interim government can seek elections and a cease fire.

The UN can then seek evidence and try Assad fairly in the Hague.

I cant see what good comes from missile strikes (although if these defects are true - just the threat of military action seems to be doing a good job).

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

The real problem is that people have sat quietly by and said nothing for the last five years. They have let Obama have free reign. They have said nothing while he totally rapes the constitution and the bill of rights. It is about time that he get his dues.

Even people on this site have defended the indefensible. You cannot cure stupid. What did they say Obama's IQ was 140? I seriously doubt it. Just saying!

Oh yeah for the record Obama should do nothing and keep his nose in his own damn business. Which seems to be screwing the American middle class.
edit on 5-9-2013 by Diisenchanted because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

What do I think of this? Well, I think that given the circumstance in the nation he is very wise to have defected. He knows that wether Assad is guilty of anything or not, his crowd are going to take a kicking from all corners eventually. The writing, as they say, is firmly upon the wall.

I would be very careful, if I were Turkish Immigration and or thier intelligence community, to ensure that the reason this person has made himself scarce from his homeland is not anything to do with any activities he might have been involved in, which would mark him as a potential war criminal. Obviously an awful lot depends on the findings of various investigations being carried out by a multitude of intelligence organisations of several nations, into the specifics of who bore responsibility for the chemical attacks. If there have been chemical weapons used, and a culprit is identified, then that party ought to be in trouble.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamSirDrinksalot
Has this news been backed up anywhere else, I am hearing the telegraph.co.uk but they are citing rebel quotes, nothing from Turkey.

I think the best course of action if Russia agree the evidence is true is for Russia to persuade Assad to leave and be given immunity in Russia. An interim government can seek elections and a cease fire.

The UN can then seek evidence and try Assad fairly in the Hague.

I cant see what good comes from missile strikes (although if these defects are true - just the threat of military action seems to be doing a good job).

Nothing, i bet they cited the 47th on twitter as the main source for this headline.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Since the civil war started in Syria numerous high-ranking politicians and military personnel have defected. Not only does this show they wanted absolutely no part in the atrocities being committed by the Syrian government against its own people, but that this isn't some conspiracy theory which a minority of members think it is. There have been countless attempts to sit down around the table and discuss the future of Syria but Bashar Al-Assad and his murderous government will simply not do this. They seem to believe their country has been invaded but the majority of Syrian's want a peaceful and democratic society and Al-Assad is consistently shelling opposition areas. As President Obama and John Kerry have said; the use of chemical weapons cannot go unpunished.
edit on 5-9-2013 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

What does everyone think of this news? Do you think that he has vital military information that he leaked to the US?

I was really hoping so, but it looks like this guy has been under house arrest since August 2011, so I'm doubting he has much useful military information.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

I don't see anyone going for war crimes without US boots on the ground.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Is expected that once it became official that the US is to support the terrorist I mean the Rebels in Syria with an attack, anybody that have something to do with the soon to be topple by force government and with financial ties of their own to other middle eastern nations like Saudi Arabia and Quatar will try to hold to their fortunes staying away from the conflict and the Syrian government, it is also very interesting to know that he went to Turkey and not Russia, because Turkey is no only an Ally to the US but also from where most of the aid that is supplying Syrian terrorist I mean rebels is coming from.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Catacomb

What does everyone think of this news? Do you think that he has vital military information that he leaked to the US? Did we promise him asylum? Or, is he just getting out of the country before it gets blasted to bits? Maybe he was set to be killed?

Corrupting US offers are potent: Land, fiat money, citizenship, position -- perhaps a thousand different things. Ask the paperclip Nazis, they can tell you all about it.

Maybe the visions of US drones stopping the Muammar Qaddafi convoy and US-backed troops sodomizing him prior to executing him was more than he could bare?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join