It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

puncuation junkies,time to let people post without fear of ridicule

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
I wouldn't call myself a punctuation junkie.

As someone pointed out, there are words such as there, their, etc...(see above) that are commonly misused, but that doesn't really bother me much. I'm reading someones comments or thoughts, not a scientific report. I understand some people don't know the difference for various reasons and I still understand their point so it's really not too big an issue for me.

What does bother me is the use of U (you) NO (know) etc...I realize it's shorthand but if you can't take the time to properly spell such words to convey your thoughts and opinions, I probably don't care much what you have to say.
I find people who use these types of spelling to be either on the young side or the stupid side.

About the only thing writing related I ever comment on is when someone writes a huge block of text and they fail to press ENTER once, completely oblivious to the concept of a paragraph. I don't care if it's used properly or not, I just care that it's difficult to read and I usually just skip those posts entirely.

Bottom line for me is that you spell and format your thoughts in a good enough way that I understand what you're trying to convey. Other than that, I know we aren't all writers and we don't all speak English as a first language.

Many good points of view from all sides above.
i have to admit i do shorthand but try not to on here but sometimes slip up cause i,m just so use to doing it on the phone,least you accept people try their best,more people just tried to accept people for who they are then we wouldn,t have this problem.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I don't have a lot of room to talk. I make plenty of mistakes myself. However, I do try to correct them when I see them.

That said: Our language, spoken and written, is a large part of our communication with one another. If we don't at least try to be proficient, we hinder and cripple our ability to properly communicate our thoughts to one another. Personally, I want people to understand me clearly. One of the reasons I joined ATS is because I had, and still have, a problem translating what's in my head to the keyboard. That has improved over the past few years, thanks to the membership here.

Just my two shillings.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

The same could be said for rules of the road when driving I guess...If people would just accept others for who they are, we wouldn't have road rage

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Eyemmm moore intrestd two poighnt owt that punchewation & spellling natzees hav no probs undesrstandin whats' been ritten;:.,' despight the OCD...

Get a life

Å99

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'm a little troubled by something Sparky31 said:

least you accept people try their best,more people just tried to accept people for who they are then we wouldn,t have this problem.

I was under the impression that we weren't to judge people for who they are, but for what they do. I have no idea what level of education you now possess, whether you have any disabilities, or what your first language is. I do, however, know what you do; write abominably.

That is something you can change, and I hope you do. U2U any of the posters in this thread and you'll receive help and not ridicule. If you have a word processor with spell and grammar checking, try using that.

I'm sure you are a fine, sensitive person. We all have our weaknesses. Fortunately, you know what one of them is and can repair it.

Ask for help, it's available.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

When you're flying somewhere in the future and the pilots have a technical issue, let's all hope for your sake that the info they have to solve the problem isn't written in this childish fashion so perhaps you'll still have a life. The kind of argument you put forth worked well in grade school

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It was drilled into me, and I took to it. I always had a handle on spelling, language, grammar and punctuation; I don't always embrace those lessons. When I was a kid, school was a complete indoctrination process, and some of us sponges specialized. I love music, math and language.

I could care less don't care if somebody noodles in and out of the lines in which we are trained to color. If I can understand someone, that is good enough. Much of the world speaks several languages. I speak one, and sorta understand two others. I am well below the global curve in language skills. Communication is important -- it trumps almost everything in value. I refuse to be put out with someone who places less of a value on the "rules" of communication than I do. What's the point?

I have known people in my life that I considered to have great intellect -- genius even -- and some of them seem profoundly lacking in some language skills. One of them can't spell worth beans. I think she could do so, but just doesn't care enough. It isn't important within her world.

I have a great appreciation of the usage of paragraphs. Give our eyes a place to rest. Please. It's just a kind thing to do.
edit on 4/9/13 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse

When you're flying somewhere in the future and the pilots have a technical issue, let's all hope for your sake that the info they have to solve the problem isn't written in this childish fashion so perhaps you'll still have a life. The kind of argument you put forth worked well in grade school

Yet, my point has been made

I was a Tech Writer for 30 years...

Å99

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
NVM, I think I was misunderstanding
edit on 4-9-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Most of the world speaking several languages comes about through necessity I would hazard to guess, the jobs ported into their countries to save money require you to speak more than Hindi.
edit on 4-9-2013 by minkmouse because: Messed up "s" key

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Did you read where I directed it?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Did you read where I directed it?

Ya, after rereading, my apologies

edit on 4-9-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Fine... I guess I may have over reacted too the "Get a life" part. It's to often used and has no meaning. apologies

edit on 4-9-2013 by minkmouse because: the "o" key is hooped too

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
LOL...I'm reminded of "Dr. Strangelove"...."How can you say you're sorrier than me Dimitri?...I am sorry Dimitri! Ok then were both sorry!"

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

reply to post by argentus

Most of the world speaking several languages comes about through necessity I would hazard to guess, the jobs ported into their countries to save money require you to speak more than Hindi.
edit on 4-9-2013 by minkmouse because: Messed up "s" key

Here's how you should have written the above quoted text...

I would hazard a guess that, because most of the worlds' population is proficient in more than one language (through necessity), it is sensible to learn more than just Urdu.

How did I go, teacher?

Å99

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
You goed OK

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

LOL...I'm reminded of "Dr. Strangelove"...."How can you say you're sorrier than me Dimitri?...I am sorry Dimitri! Ok then were both sorry!"

Yay, everyone forgiven and no fighting. Thanls!

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

You goed OK

Good!...then I have taught you how to express what you were trying to say (in an atrociously constructed paragraph)...and I have now twice made my point...once - despite my deliberate poor spelling and grammar, and twice - in interpreting what you had actually written...

Cheers

...have an apple, teacher

Å99

(Minkmouse...that's sooo cute)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Like your siggy

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join