It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas mask for Sarin gas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Hi,
this is a question about sarin gas, and ways to protect yourself with a gas mask.
Would I need one of the full face gas mask or would the throw away paper ones do the job?
I see on the TV about the alleged Syrian sarin gas attack the people helping had the paper throw away face masks.
The full face ones are pretty expensive so if not needed would not rather buy one, although they can stop other chemicals, smoke etc.
edit on 4-9-2013 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
against sarin you need a full body suit to not only the gaz mask

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeussusZ

You might not even need a gas mask., how fast are you???

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Full face AND an NBC suit ... Chemical Weapons are designed to enter through the Skin as well as Eyes, Ears, Nose and Throat.

If you cannot obtain an NBC suit there are many Industrial coveralls that will do the same job.

A quick question ... Why do you need protection ? Are you in Syria ?

C..

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

You might not even need a gas mask., how fast are you???

Better question, WHERE are you? (to the OP)

There are incredibly few places on this entire planet where Sarin gas is a legitimate fear.

And no, a paper mask will not protect you from chemical agents.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Would I need one of the full face gas mask or would the throw away paper ones do the job?

Yes, you would and no they would not.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
no where near Syria. In NZ
Pretty sure safe here, but you never know, plus thought it better to know than not know.
And PM announced aweek or two ago we have al qaeda here now.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

You can get an israeli gas mask on amazon for close to 30 bucks after the filter they supply it only becomes a question of how many filters to have on hand and what type. There are some ready to handle a full scale biological situation for around 100 bucks that they issue to nato.

Anyhow as mentioned you need protection for your body. Now you can probably order that online anyhow I am not an expert but if you got a vinyl rain suit and a way of sealing it and making it air tight that would be better than nothing. Just make sure to spray off before you disengage the rain suit.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

The Paper Masks you see are not for protection of gas, but rather Death and Rot. Both of which are a serious health hazard.

If you are looking to add to your SHTF bag, you can Pitch the idea in the S[SNIP]T Can because, if it ever does hit the fan, being Gased is going to be a Non-Event.

Save your money and buy a couple cans of beans instead.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeussusZ
no where near Syria. In NZ
Pretty sure safe here, but you never know, plus thought it better to know than not know.
And PM announced aweek or two ago we have al qaeda here now.

It's always good to be prepared. If the sarin attacks in Syria made you feel the need to prepare that's good, but no need to be worried about Sarin in particular. Get a decent NBC suit and mask and you'll be set for Sarin, and be prepared for more likely dangers as well.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
As a British Army Vet I can tell you that those paper masks would be useless against Sarin. You need a proper respirator with a filter. Also you would ideally need a Nuclear, Biological and Chemical warfare protective suit.

Not sure how a rubber suit feels but I know from experience that the British gear is OK for short periods in cool weather. In hot weather they are horrendous.

Here's tidbit from Wikipedia -

NBC Suit

The older Soviet suit was impermeable rubber-coated canvas. Now known as the CBRN suit, the British Armed Forces suit is reinforced nylon with charcoal impregnated felt. It is more comfortable because of the breathability but has a shorter useful life, and must be replaced often.

King
edit on 5/9/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

top topics

join