It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the US Military Refuse Involvement?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
What would it take for members of the US military to finally refuse to become involved in another illegal and immoral war? When do these men stop becoming soldiers and start becoming butchers and murderers? And can they live with what they are being asked to do?

The general population isn't as naive as it used to be - it isn't even as gullible as it was during the last Iraq war. Here in the UK, our population is strongly against attacking Syria, and our MPs voted against the Prime-Minister to express this. I have read that the opinion polls are reflecting the same feelings amongst the American people. With the internet, social media, and government leaks, we aren't as ignorant or easily led as we were even ten years ago. We don't easily swallow government lies. For soldiers on the ground, this is magnified by an incredible amount - they aren't just being asked to swallow the lies, they are being asked to risk their lives for lies.

So what will it take for them to stand together and refuse? As someone from the UK, I would be interested in hearing from Americans in particular - is this even possible?

And what then would happen - if the military refused to follow immoral orders from a corrupt government, then the game has changed completely. Interesting times indeed.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Millions

Yes of-course they could.

Not only could they, its their duty under the Geneva Conventions and under the Law of Land Warfare to disobey illegal, immoral, orders.

If they would follow the lead of a few heroes, like Ehren Watada.

edit on 4-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Obama purged the military of any leaders that would refuse his illegal orders. The soldiers will never mutiny.

I will go as far to say if civil unrest occurred in the mainland, the military would sit idly by as our government has their police forces shoot down Americans in the street.

We are a country full of cowards.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The real question is, will the military refuse the order if congress has voted against war. That would be undoubtably against the oath of enlistment.

I'm currently deployed in the middle east, hoping to see home sometime this year. Syria and this congress vote is all everyone is talking about out here.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Millions

I guess then it would be called a coup d'etat.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Honestly what reality do you people live in? Yeah I am sure the miitary is going to refuse to fire some cruise missles at a guy who spends his days slaughtering his own people. That a great place to make a stand...

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I would politely urge you, Mr Spad, to go and spend some time doing a spot of reading, followed by some time thinking and reflecting.

The stakes are high here - many lives could be lost. There aren't any other ways I can think of to stop this corrupt government's bloodthirsty war-mongering other than the military refusing to kill and be killed on the orders of corrupt politicians.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Adding to that it is also their duty to protect the constitution and under the constitution it is illegal to support your enemy, this will be direct aid to a national enemy..

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Millions

What would it take for members of the US military to finally refuse to become involved in another illegal and immoral war? When do these men stop becoming soldiers and start becoming butchers and murderers? And can they live with what they are being asked to do?

The general population isn't as naive as it used to be - it isn't even as gullible as it was during the last Iraq war. Here in the UK, our population is strongly against attacking Syria, and our MPs voted against the Prime-Minister to express this. I have read that the opinion polls are reflecting the same feelings amongst the American people. With the internet, social media, and government leaks, we aren't as ignorant or easily led as we were even ten years ago. We don't easily swallow government lies. For soldiers on the ground, this is magnified by an incredible amount - they aren't just being asked to swallow the lies, they are being asked to risk their lives for lies.

So what will it take for them to stand together and refuse? As someone from the UK, I would be interested in hearing from Americans in particular - is this even possible?

And what then would happen - if the military refused to follow immoral orders from a corrupt government, then the game has changed completely. Interesting times indeed.

Well said. I would beg to differ though about the resolve of the American people. There may be allot more public information via leaks, but Americans are amoral or simply nonpolitical in astuteness. I just had a conversation with a history professor, who told me that 2% of his students can properly define the American form of government. Ignorance and apathy seem to go hand in hand. The educated are the ones running the country, and after all war is profitable for them. I think that western intervention in Syria would become a disaster, raising the cost of fuel to tip the scale against a shaky economy.

new topics

top topics

join