It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Your Freak On - The Burning Man Festival 2013

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

This festival is, in my opinion, the ultimate expression of the human spirit. It is Art imitating life. It is Life imitating Art.

It is actually quite difficult explaining exactly what this festival is to those who have not heard of it.

There are no rules about how one must behave or express oneself at this event (save the rules that serve to protect the health, safety, and experience of the community at large); rather, it is up to each participant to decide how they will contribute and what they will give to this community.

Beginning in 1988 with just a small group of people, it has grown exponentially with an estimated 48,000 individuals attending last week for the 2013 festival.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/ia5227894c.jpg[/atsimg]

People come from many countries and end up converging on "The Playa" in the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, US.

They come to this place with the mindset of being dedicated to community, art, self-expression, and self-reliance.

The impact of the Burning Man experience has been so profound that a culture has formed around it. This culture pushes the limits of Burning Man and has led to people banding together nation-wide, and putting on their own events, in attempt to rekindle that magic feeling that only being part of this community can provide.

The following images are but a snippet of what one can expect to see and the links below will give ATS members and visitors an overall idea of just how big and amazing this festival actually is.

It is the ultimate expression of self.........

www.burningman.com...
au.totaltravel.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Burning man is different.

Burner 2001

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Burning Man has lost it's true sense of Freedom. I will no longer attend. In fact I have not attended since they starting charging admission. I don't mind spending the cash but I don't like how the very principals of Burning Man were violated the moment it started costing money to attend.

Law Enforcement in Black Rock City

2013 Burning Man = Police State on the playa State, fed law enforcement law enforcement 1 officer to every 1,000 participants

LAWYER: Federal Agents In Wild Costumes Are Swarming The Nevada Desert This Week

Burning Man Arrest Count Released

Every cop for 200 miles knows that there is a better than even chance of finding drugs in a vehicle headed for Burning Man. So even if you make it there without getting tossed on the side of the road there is little chance you will get away with the kind of parties that burning man used to be famous for.......

edit on 4-9-2013 by Mamatus because: added content

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
You do know that this is pagan "Green Man" worship?

en.wikipedia.org...

Have you seen the "Wicker Man" with Edward Woodward?

en.wikipedia.org...(1973_film)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

i almost made it one year but i feared for my life having to get through the gates in a trunk of a car in the hot nevada dessert. I respectfully declinde since the drivers of the car may of smoked out and forgot about me. Plus I had to work(I know Im just a slave to the system)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
My sister is going to burning man, she is setting up a giant dome of some sort with flashing lights and is good at costume design, specializing in steam punk and fantasy design.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
Burning Man has lost it's true sense of Freedom. I will no longer attend. In fact I have not attended since they starting charging admission. I don't mind spending the cash but I don't like how the very principals of Burning Man were violated the moment it started costing money to attend.

Law Enforcement in Black Rock City

2013 Burning Man = Police State on the playa State, fed law enforcement law enforcement 1 officer to every 1,000 participants

LAWYER: Federal Agents In Wild Costumes Are Swarming The Nevada Desert This Week

Burning Man Arrest Count Released

Every cop for 200 miles knows that there is a better than even chance of finding drugs in a vehicle headed for Burning Man. So even if you make it there without getting tossed on the side of the road there is little chance you will get away with the kind of parties that burning man used to be famous for.......

edit on 4-9-2013 by Mamatus because: added content

I've read a number of comments like this, and as an outsider, even I somewhat agree. I say "outsider" because I have never had the pleasure / privilege of attending. I live nowhere near it, and even taking the time off and expense to travel that far, is a bit "too much" of a luxury for me. However, I've always been fascinated by it, and I've followed it for years-- reading, watching documentaries, taking to people who have been. And I very much get the sense that it has changed / is changing. And the advent of commercialization of the event itself seems like a big part of that.

It seems like it's becoming an elitist event. Only those with hundreds of dollars and vacation time to blow need apply. Playground for the rich and pretty -- " 'Subculture' Edition"

All of the recent talk of increased police presence (and associated corruption) is unsettling as well..

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Interesting responses.

I have only ever been once.......and that was in 1995 (I was 22 at the time) when I spent 6 months in the US.

Given the comment from Mamatus, It appears that it is a very different animal today and having an entry fee as well as a large police presence would diminish from the whole experience, imo.

My memories of that week are vivid and always bring a smile to my face.

Oh, and OneManArmy, I'm a catholic. BUT pagan or otherwise......I'm a human being first, out to experience everything this beautiful earth has to offer.

DOC, you should go my man, at least for the trippy experience.

Once again, cheers guys, I appreciate your opinions on this.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft

Oh, and OneManArmy, I'm a catholic. BUT pagan or otherwise......I'm a human being first, out to experience everything this beautiful earth has to offer.

Thats cool, but its only fair to know it has its roots in human sacrifice, and its not far removed from the "Sacrifice Of Care"(freedom) ceremony of Bohemian Grove.

new topics

top topics

join