It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things I Learned About Prepping, and a Place to Share Yours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Some personal background: I became a sorta prepper (and did not call it prepping) after moving into my own place from my parents and being extremely broke for a few years. As soon as I was on my feet, I started buying extra paper products, frozen and canned foods, etc. to set back so in case I ever became financially distressed again, I'd have a small back up. I also saved some cash. Mini-prep for a personal financial problem.

Again, I became a sorta prepper (still did not use the term prep) after Katrina when I met some evacuees. I realized that I'd be them. They had: no money, no clothes besides what was on their backs, no transportation, and were in an unfamiliar city. So I made a bug out bag and preplanned routes in case my area was hit by a natural disaster.

Then I stopped. All this took a few years, obviously, and then I started again.

And just when I felt like I had sorta gotten things under control, mostly for bugging in, I realized I had made one gigantic huge error.

I had forgotten to prep myself.

What does this mean? It means being in peak physical condition. I don't mean exercise. I don't mean dropping bad habits. I mean a person's body.

I focused so hard on getting my life together and a home together, I didn't go to the dentist for years. So I went. I don't want to get a cavity or something in SHTF. Even if it's just regional SHTF, that would still suck. I found out nothing was wrong in my mouth except I should be flossing better, which I now do. But I go every six months now so I can have my teeth in peak condition.

I also neglected to go to a dermatologist. So I went. I had them look at every mole on my body, and I had a couple that were in the 'remove it now just to be safe' category. Nope, I had them ALL removed. Why risk it? And now I plan on going back annually and doing this again.

I neglected to get my eyes checked. I always overstocked on contacts and used them longer than I should, to save money. So I went. And I got glasses AND contacts, and got two of the cheapest set of frames instead of buying one set of nicer frames. I also stocked up on contacts. Am I of use to myself or anyone blind? No.

So please, don't make the mistake I did. As you can fit it in financially, go to the doctor. Get checked out and take care of tiny things before they become large problems.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Sage advice.
It could go further but you've passed along the right idea.

Getting physically fit is a MAJOR thing as well. In the event of a SHTF scenario, stress plays a factor in how your body will react. Not body building fit, but a good balance btetween stamina and BMI.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

I've often wondered what I would do if I wasnt able to replace my glasses. It's such a vital piece of equipment, these optically-correcting lenses of precise grading. No makeshift scrappy ragtag eyeglass foundry is going to spring up, No, it's Do Without, for anyone who loses or breaks their eyeglasses.
I get mine from an online source, I think the co. is based out of central CA coast area. I don't know if I can say the site, is that against T&Cs... But Ive got a bunch of glasses now. I think I've ordered 10 or more pair in 3 years, for not more than $2oo. I ordered 2 pair, Twice each because i liked them so much. Best glasses deal I've ever had. The glasses racket gig is up, Optometrist office Optical Stores! There is no reason glasses should cost $150 or be so expensive it is not an option to have several pair. They are like shoes, not luxury apparel.
I'm gong to get another couple pair soon. Thanks for reminding me!

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kkrattiger

Check out this site.

www.framesdirect.com...

Ballistic perscription glasses are not that much expensive then your normal glasses. The frame will usually break before the glass does.

And they come in all sorts of styles so you don't look like you just came back from a patrol.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I use zennioptical, and will check out your site too! Thanks for the link.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
You know , if you`re planning on surviving what`s coming I don`t think it`s a good idea to post your whole action plan on the internet , and especially not on THIS website ..... so please .. anyone taking this seriously , keep your plans to yourself and you`ll be a lot safer .

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kkrattiger

This is sort of turning into a thread about glasses, which is really hilarious because I was actually going to post another thread all about glasses! I will just post it here. Here it goes:

I use a few websites to gather things for free, usually sample items, which is how I started stocking a bug out bag back when I was broke (say it fast, ya'll). Things like, heel balm, 1 dose of aspirin/advil, a couple of free sanitary napkins/tampons, dental floss, soap, etc. Here is a good article on websites that gather up each day's free samples and post them:

Websites Offering Free Samples, Coupons, and Other Freebies
It's a Yahoo link.

I mainly use the one called Hey, It's Free! and all of their postings have been reliable (that doesn't mean trust everything, use your judgement obviously).

One of the things I saw on there recently but did not take advantage of is a free pair of glasses.

This freebie was originally posted on October 22, 2012 and is still available. If you’ve never placed an order with Coastal.com, you should know that you still qualify for a free pair of regular frame prescription glasses. I think it’s one of those inalienable rights the Founding Fathers bestowed upon us, along with freedom and the ability to throw away green beans whenever you want because they’re gross. It’s not just for adults either! In addition to almost 400 pairs of free adult frames, they have 39 eligible ones for children as well. Just in time for school too, so no more “Mom, I’m failing math because I can’t see” excuses. I know that one worked wonders for me from the 5th to 7th grade. In order to get a free pair of Coastal.com glasses, you need to: Click the link above, then click “shop free glasses” on the left. Pick your glasses from the available frames and enter coupon code FIRSTPAIRFREE at checkout. The code should work through October 28 and note you’ll need to pay shipping, but the glasses themselves are free. You can also use the code to get an additional 10% off any upgrades. If this is your first time buying glasses online, then have fun looking like an idiot in front of a mirror. It’s totally worth it though. I’d been wearing the same broken pair of glasses since high school, so it was hard passing up an $80+ freebie like this!

I did check out the free pairs there and saw some plain black plastic frames I'd like to get. The shipping looks reasonable.

If anyone tries coastal.com for this offer, please post here or make your own thread (and send me a U2U so I can be sure and stop by) for others who are in need of some glasses!

Oh, and @AthiestJesus no one's posted a plan yet, but I guess you meant that as a warning?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthiestJesus
You know , if you`re planning on surviving what`s coming I don`t think it`s a good idea to post your whole action plan on the internet , and especially not on THIS website ..... so please .. anyone taking this seriously , keep your plans to yourself and you`ll be a lot safer .

I get what you are saying, but I didn't see any plan here (though many members are guilty of it in other threads). I see this thread as just passing along advice/ideas. Nothing more.

top topics

join