It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is violence.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind - Jiddu Krishnamurti (From Freedom Of The Known)

.Another brilliant book I'v just finished by Jiddu Krishnamurti. What an amazing man.

If you haven;t read any of his books then I'd advice reading The Awakening Of intelligence.
edit on 2-9-2013 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind - Jiddu Krishnamurti (From Freedom Of The Known)

.Another brilliant book I'v just finished by Jiddu Krishnamurti. What an amazing man.

If you haven;t read any of his books then I'd advice reading The Awakening Of intelligence.

Nationalism = a big reason for WW1 + 2, plus countless of other wars. All the descriptors Jiddu mentioned can be traced back to violence.

Very, very wise words.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

So if I use any words to describe myself, if those words do not also describe everyone else, Im being violent???

For example...I have brown eyes..........Im being violent to those who dont?? Have I understood you correctly here?
edit on 2-9-2013 by greavsie1971 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by greavsie1971

So if I use any words to describe myself, if those words do not also describe everyone else, Im being violent???

For example...I have brown eyes..........Im being violent to those who dont?? Have I understood you correctly here?

Are you differing yourself due to belief, nationality, or tradition?

Hitler thought blue eyes were superior to brown eyes, but this is due to his belief that Germans were pure because of their nationalistic standing.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelayedChristmas

Hitler thought blue eyes were superior to brown eyes, but this is due to his belief that Germans were pure because of their nationalistic standing.

I believe I have brown eyes. I believe I was born in England so Im English, as that is what it means.......Im I now being violent just by stating where I was born? Sorry just not sure I understand

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Sorry Mr. Jiddu, I'm not part of the collective, I'm an individual with my own feelings, my own vices, my own beliefs, and my own thoughts.

I guess I'm just extremely violent.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I like morris dancing (not really...honest), this was an english tradition, am I being violent by stating I like it? Seems like the only non-violent way to be is to be a drone with no tastes, opinions or personality.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Human beings self define themselves and subscribe to their own sub-cultures within the whole.
It's our nature.

Religion isn't violence, violence is violence and it's an action.

edit on 2-9-2013 by slowisfast because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by slowisfast
Human beings self define themselves and subscribe to their own sub-cultures within the whole.
It's our nature.

Religion isn't violence, violence is violence and it's an action.

edit on 2-9-2013 by slowisfast because: (no reason given)

You're being violent.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Come on guys, This is ATS, quit the violence or I'll get the mods to ban you all.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I believe I have brown eyes. I believe I was born in England so Im English, as that is what it means.......Im I now being violent just by stating where I was born? Sorry just not sure I understand

Well what I derived from the message is that when people start to differ themselves based on the physical, it opens gateways for those differences to breed violence.

For example:

You say, I have brown eyes and I was born in England.

I say, I have blue eyes and I was born in Germany.

Someone else says, blue eyes and Germans are superior.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Well what I derived from the message is that when people start to differ themselves based on the physical, it opens gateways for those differences to breed violence.

For example:

But Im not the one being violent by stating my eye colour? The guy who says blue eyes are superior is not being violent either, he just has a silly opinion. If he punched me in the eyes because he didnt like the colour...that would be violent.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
What is the point of this, is it that we shouldn't define ourselves in any way just in case some nut job gets violent?

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

The meaning is pretty plain, but it is not correct. If there were no religions, no differences in appearance, etc, humanity would STILL find reasons to fight, it's in our nature.

For example, I am Me, and You are You, therefore, there's a difference.

This whole "let's all live together in a candy-coated, happy-land filled with pixie dust and unicorn farts" thing is unrealistic at best.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorChaos

The meaning is pretty plain, but it is not correct. If there were no religions, no differences in appearance, etc, humanity would STILL find reasons to fight, it's in our nature.

This whole "let's all live together in a candy-coated, happy-land filled with pixie dust and unicorn farts" thing is unrealistic at best.

It all seems a bit pointless to me.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

For example:

But Im not the one being violent by stating my eye colour? The guy who says blue eyes are superior is not being violent either, he just has a silly opinion. If he punched me in the eyes because he didnt like the colour...that would be violent.

He can have a silly opinion that can really persuade people to feel a certain way about their differences...

Point being, the speaker is saying: We are all human beings. We have different variations and we look different, but that does not make us different. These labels that put on ourselves are only limited to the physical. And when people start being inclined to only the physical, it breeds violence.

For example, wars have been started due to religion.
Wars have been started due to geographical locations (nationalism)
Wars have been started because one tradition does not adhere to another

That's the message I took out of the speaker.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

True but we live in a physical world and we describe ourselves by our physicality. So it's still a bit pointless, and slightly obvious.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorChaos

Hm, why do you assume it is in humanity's nature to fight with one another aside from differences in religion, appearance, etc.?

Unicorn farts seem like they would be delicious btw... Like pixie sticks almost

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

True but we live in a physical world and we describe ourselves by our physicality. So it's still a bit pointless, and slightly obvious.

This is the limitation that breeds violence is the speakers main point. Obvious, yes. Pointless, hmm that's for you to answer.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Dont you think the title of this thread is violent as you just state that Religion is violence, you are picking out one aspect of human culture, makes it sound like you are having a go at religions, are you trying to start a war?. Maybe you should change the title otherwise it's a bit hypocritical dont you think?

Maybe, physicality is violence.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join