It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Step Solution to the Syrian Crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
How To Stop The Syrian Humanitarian Crisis in a 10 step solution.

1. Stop all funding to forces in Syria.

2. Send an international peace keeping force to "peace keep" with rights to engage in combat ANYONE who raises arms.

3. Split Syria into temporary zones, akin to how Germany has been controlled in the past.

4. At this point Syrian Armed Forces would be inclined to pick a side, peace or war.

5. Demand proof of citizenship from the masses.

6. Detain and send home any non Syrians with no right or reason to be in Syria.

7. With war finally dying down, much needed infrastructure and humanitarian aid can be build and distributed.

8. By the time step 7 is done or underway enough evidence will be easily available to prove if Assad should be trailed by war crimes.

9. Introduce a constitution that the people of Syria approve.

10. Withdrawal of peace keeping forces.

I know, it's a pointless and useless idea, it's not like the whole world is condemning the acts in Syria and are willing to attempt to instill peace, it would be much much easier to bomb the hell out of the side with all the better tools of war. Just remember that Syria is a sovereign nation.

What do the people of Syria want though?

Peace and stability or an escalation of war?

They want more than pipe dreams like I just wrote or Obama's pipe dream of doing any good by yucking a few tomahawks at Syria. So ATS do you have any ideas on how to stop or curb the flows of violence in Syria?
I'd love to here them.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The first problem is #1, its not just Americans funding the Syrian rebels. You would have to stop Saudi and Qatar as well. Good luck with that.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Better solution:

1) Quarantine Syria don't let anyone in or out unless they have papers and no weapons.
2) Leave them be to fight it out under the condition they don't let it spill over to any other nations.
3) Allow civilians with proper documentation and women and children to evacuate and be relocated.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Actually I think you've got some good ideas. But number one should be in finding a way to convince them that MURDER is NOT okay.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok
Better solution:

3) Allow civilians with proper documentation and women and children to evacuate and be relocated.

Where would they go?

My next door neighbour left last week for Syria. His mother is living in the outskirts of Damascus.

He was going to help her out a little, you know, to make sure she was safe enough.

He got as far as Dubai, and she called him and told him not to come, because there was talk of the airports being shut down.

Neighbouring countries are just as bad for his mother (who is a Christian) and they don't look kindly on Christians.

From what he has told me, it's not as bad as the news says, but it's still bad enough.

So long as she stays on the outskirts, she's safe for now, but re-locating isn't really a good idea.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CottonwoodStormy

Indeed the funding is coming from all over, I bet each group fighting in Syria has it's own way of spinning a pretty penny too. Isolate Syria and all transactions in and out of Syria, be it financial or resourceful.

Many flaws in my idea no doubt, but flaws can be corrected or the situation changed so the flaws are not so evident and in your face.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Better solution:

1) Quarantine Syria don't let anyone in or out unless they have papers and no weapons.
2) Leave them be to fight it out under the condition they don't let it spill over to any other nations.

I agree with point 1, but 2 and 3 are difficult, International help to FSA wouldn't stop because they are too weak to fight Assad without help. Many people refuse to leave their homeland too.

Point 2 goes against the grain of what the west want also. Assad is a dictator and the rebels are freedom fighters...

So leaving them to fight it out without help is a no-go and wouldn't relocating millions of civilians be a big task?

Might be easier to go in and peace keep or tell everyone fighting to relocate to the Sahara to fight it out.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

Good points.

Relocating is not a good idea, especially when your talking the upheaval of millions of people.

Where do they go?
How do they get their?
Will these refugees have guaranteed safe passage and amenities to survive?

Just 3 questions that instantly come up in my mind.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

Here is a solution.. How about we all start to learn how to get along and work together?

Starting with our so called leaders who seem to be more motivated in starting a war in another country than actually dealing with their own # at home?

There is an easy solution.

The arrogance in even thinking that we have the right to meddle into another country's business when our business is in such dire conditions.

LOL LOL LOL kinda sick in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by nicolet
reply to post by RAY1990

Here is a solution.. How about we all start to learn how to get along and work together?

Starting with our so called leaders who seem to be more motivated in starting a war in another country than actually dealing with their own @*&% at home?

There is an easy solution.

The arrogance in even thinking that we have the right to meddle into another country's business when our business is in such dire conditions.

LOL LOL LOL kinda sick in my opinion.

I agree with you, I have always stood on the fact that Syria is a sovereign nation and should answer to nobody.
Problems at home is a statement millions can make from many different nations, but I agree.

I also agree with International law concerning chemical weapons... but I don't agree with who has apparently used them.

And right now I stand by the fact that civilians need help in Syria right now.

Maybe I was not clear on step 2 and 4, the peace keepers will be sent to STOP violence with actual rights to engage in combat with anyone fighting in a war like manor. If Syrian Armed Forces and it's leadership want violence to end they would join these "peacekeepers" and help instill much needed peace.

I do not think we should disregard a sovereign nations army, on the contrary we should work with them if they are willing.

In fact, what I suggested is a found way we can work together... no matter how deluded or pipe-dreamed it is.

edit on 2-9-2013 by RAY1990 because: self censored, so removed the comment.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by nicolet

Also another point, the problems at home for most of us do not warrant international condemnation.

This thread is about Syria not about the abuse of the Constitution or fat cat bankers operating in ways that makes Judas look like a saint.

Nobody can deny Syrians need some form of humanitarian aid... at the very least. Do you have any solutions that would aid Syria and it's people?

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990

Point 2 goes against the grain of what the west want also. Assad is a dictator and the rebels are freedom fighters...

This is were we diverge.

I view the rebels as just as bad and dangrous as Assad.

Infact some of the Rebel factions are far more dangrous as if they got hold of Syria weapon stockpiles they would unlesh death and destruction outside syria!

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990

This is were we diverge.

I view the rebels as just as bad and dangrous as Assad.

Infact some of the Rebel factions are far more dangrous as if they got hold of Syria weapon stockpiles they would unlesh death and destruction outside syria!

I share the same view

If we are to be serious on debating then we must accommodate as many as we can. The rebels are mostly not disciplined and I can guarantee many of them will be immoral. At the same time though many people will not allow those "freedom fighters" just be left to their own demise.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

1-Set off an EMP weapon to disable communications between squabbling factions.

2-Cut off all but the bare minimum of resources to deprive those factions of the energy to fight.

3-Manipulate the weather to hopefully disable or make less useful the weapons at their disposal.

4-Send heavily armored troops in to confiscate what weapons are left.

5-Surround the country and keep any weapons from entering from anywhere.

6-Keep the country on "Probation" until they can prove that they can behave themselves.

Never mind, it's not their fault they are supposedly "humans", that kind of stupid can't be fixed.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
International support is only as good as the international resolve that has gone into it. With the international view just as fractured as Syria itself, at this time any significant global intervention will just throw more fuel on the fire. If the UN security council can agree on a plan, the global coordination will be a lot more focused, targeted and successful. Considering the cultural complexity and diversity in Syria, the UN General assembly along with many other branches can provide a supportive and guiding role in sifting through some of the technical interactions and implications.

As for how I currently call it, Support the regime until security can be restored to the nation. Support all the other factions to form political parties, have a vote. It is going to be a hell risky and dangerous job trying to get people fighting with words, ideas and reason rather than guns, bombs and fear. Egypt is showing just how tough constitutional issues are, Iraq is showing just how tough rebuilding issues are, Afghanistan is showing just how tough occupational issues are.

If the conflicting sides are able to at least understand each others position, it does aid in finding a common goal.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

To an extent, #2 and #10 on your list have already been tried.

Plenty of peace keepers were sent into Syria in the beginning, but everything Assad agreed to went to the wayside within three days after they left.

Later, when Assad released information stating what he was willing to do with regards to new elections, the rebels got upset again because Assad wrote it up in a way that allowed only his party enough power to control the outcome of the elections.

new topics

top topics

join