It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: US claim on Syria chemical attack 'nonsense' - Putin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Russian President Vladimir Putin has dismissed US claims that Syria's regime used chemical weapons, describing them as "utter nonsense".

Mr Putin challenged Washington to present the evidence behind its claims to the United Nations Security Council.

US President Barack Obama has said he is considering military action against Syria based on intelligence reports.

The Russia leader's remarks came after UN chemical weapons inspectors ended their visit to Syria.

They crossed into neighbouring Lebanon after four days of inspections, including investigations of what happened in the Damascus suburbs on 21 August.

Hundreds of people including children were killed in the suspected chemical weapons attacks, which the US says was carried out by the Syrian government.

Syria said the US claim was "full of lies", blaming rebels for the attacks.

'Trump card'
The inspectors' departure from Syria removes both a practical and a political obstacle to the launch of US-led military action, says the BBC's Kevin Connolly in Lebanon.

But speaking to journalists in the Russian far-eastern city of Vladivostok, Mr Putin urged Mr Obama - as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate - to think about future victims in Syria before using force.

He said it was ridiculous to suggest the Syrian government was to blame for the 21 August attack.

"Syrian government troops are on the offensive and have surrounded the opposition in several regions," he said.

In these conditions, to give a trump card to those who are calling for a military intervention is utter nonsense."

Russia - a key ally of Syria - has previously warned that "any unilateral military action bypassing the UN Security Council" would be a "direct violation of international law".

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has said his country will defend itself against any Western "aggression".

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
After listening to Kerry and Obama speak yesterday, it's plain that they are hell bent on this thing. It's going to be interesting to see what Russia will do, that is, unless Obama and Co. has bribed him to stay put.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Everybody knows it's nonsense. This is like the WMD Iraq lies ALL OVER AGAIN.

It just gets more and more pathetic with time. The lies and the excuses. UK was told not to go to War but I'm sure it still will.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I don't think they can bribe him, but i don't expect the Russians to react either, no need to rush, be impulsive, and let things escalate even more, Putin is smarter than that.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthling42
I don't think they can bribe him, but i don't expect the Russians to react either, no need to rush, be impulsive, and let things escalate even more, Putin is smarter than that.

Sounds to me like Putin isn't relishing having Russian promises to help defend Syria put to the test. Their arse are still smarting for not being able to help Iraq. Ah yes they lost a great arms customer in the Iraqi strong man and may about to be losing another.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
The dead are real. The chemicals are real.
The question ... who used them. That remains to be answered.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I think it's nonsense that US is announcing to the world including the country it's about to blow up just when we will launch military attack and what method we will use to strike. Is that just arrogance or being nice or just hoping everything will be cool if we tell Syria up front that we are going to bomb the s out of your country and why. I guess this is Federal Reserve edition of the Art of War.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The dead are real. The chemicals are real.
The question ... who used them. That remains to be answered.

From February 2012!!

World must aid Syria's rebels

CNN 2012

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PINGi14

what we don't see, and I find strange, is outrage or deep concern that someone just gassed 1500+- during a civil uprising. Be sure whoever used them are watching closely what the fallout will be. This could simply be the beginning of a ghastly outbreak of use. How the world reacts to this is certainly a bellwether. Right now all we are seeing is the old fallback position of dark hooded bogie men taking the blame.

I suppose the Israelis stoking up on gas masks is part of the false flag? Really. And now they have been threatened by the accused government.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
This is nothing more then helping the losing side, and Putin knows it, we know it, everyone knows it.

The rebels have been getting smashed all over the park in the last 6 months, even with all the weapons and training supplied from American British and french, and massive rebel funding from Saudi and Qatar governments and Turkish special forces on the ground.

So Obama wants to even the playing field in favor of the rebels.

The BBC have been pushing video and pictures of all the Syrian Refugees piling out of Syria in the last few days, like they are running from Assad, when the reality is they are running from American bombs that are coming to rain upon them.

Thankfully the British pulled out of this madness about to be perpetrated by Obomba the peace prize president of the free world, what a joke.

Buckle your boots folks, this could be a long one.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Well, colour me surprised Putin is challenging the US version of events.

In other news, vodka consumed in Moscow on Friday night!

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by earthling42

Didn't the Russians do a huge joint naval exercise op out in the china sea a few weeks back ?

www.youtube.com...

And I'm sure they did one in the black sea too.
edit on 31-8-2013 by deviant300 because: UPD

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by snapperski
So Obama wants to even the playing field in favor of the rebels..

And the question is .. WHY? Assad is a bad guy. But the 'rebels' are petty bad too. Full of Al-Qaida and The Muslim Brotherhood. Obama is notorious for just luv'n the Muslim Brotherhood (he's still pouting about Morsi getting kicked out!). I"m thinking Obama's infatuation with the 'rebels' is because of the Muslim Brotherhood and/or because of those oil pipelines ... (something about those oil pipelines keeps tickling my brain and I just can't put my finger on it)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Assad is a bad guy

Well i'm not so sure Assad is as bad as we are led to believe.

He was raised and educated in England, he was a free health care doctor working for the British NHS for years, fell inlove and married a British woman who was a Banker.
Now if you dig deeper into the life of Bashar assad his nothing like his father, and far removed from the brutal dictator we are all told in our daily news.
Its the old generals that were loyal to his father who are still in service pulling the strings in Syria.

I think the problem is Syria is not only the capital of the middle east, but also the pipeline capital for oil and gas, and Assad didn't play nice with the oil and gas mafia, so he had to go

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
This guy makes some sort of sense.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

I am not taking sides here I can live with either outcome but. Isn't it also a bit puzzling that one should tolerate no prob the use of conventional missiles and explosives and potentially unlimited number of civilian or any other deaths but single chemical weapon makes you the worst scumbag on Earth who must be swiftly be punished with lethal force by Earth defense force.

Since this is one single thing that you were told over and over not to do, why would anybody risk everything for one opportunity to gas some people when you can continue to be the king and achieve the same result by sticking to approved bombs? That's kinda nonsensical or plain retarded?

edit on 31-8-2013 by PINGi14 because: clarity

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by deviant300

Applause for Putin throwing the "Nobel Peace Prize" into the face of President Obama. Why doesn't the US take their evidence to the UN Security Council? If it's a "slam dunk" they should be able to convince the world that Assad ordered the use of these weapons.

If it's true that Assad did use chem weapons, what will shooting missles at Syria do other than prove that the POTUS follows through on his threats? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see how this turns out.

If the Saudis are upset over this attack, why don't they strike Syria?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
If we were truly a great nation, we would secure a region nearby for any refugees needing a safe place to go, and make sure no harm came to them. Let the "big boys" duke it out down the road, while setting a good example for the rest of the world by helping those most in need.

new topics

top topics

join