It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photo showing 'boiling sea' off Japan coast near Fukushima

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Just tell me it's safe to remove my Brown trousers...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1Learner
Aren't radioactive particles supposed to fizz away, or become harmless after sometime?
Wouldn't we be seeing a disturbance in the food chain if fishes start to get boiled or affected by this event?

I doubt the news would risk losing credibility when called out by folks (like those here who are promoting this idea) who knew the "conspiracy" beforehand.

Yes, it's called the half-life. It's the amount of time taken for the radiation levels to fall by a half. But the half-life for some of these elements from Fukushima is 30 years.

The fascinating thing is that the half-life gets shorter the further along the periodic table they are:
www.periodictable.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by jhn7537

So Phage, it can't produce heating effects, but let me ask you, is the ocean capable of "healing" itself from the toxic waste that's been dumped in? I always wonder about nature and I feel like it has a way of correcting human error at times...

A lot of the stuff that's reaching the ocean has a long half life. There isn't really any way to correct that, no way to make it go away.

What will happen is that some of it will settle to the seabed where it will remain (and remain nasty). Most of it will disperse through out the ocean over time. It's a very big ocean with a very large amount of water. The contamination will become more and more diffuse the further from the contamination site it gets. It won't go away but it will fall to levels below background levels, meaning it won't be any more dangerous than what we are exposed to every day. So in a way there is a healing (more of a washing) but the stuff will be around for a long time, just like the stuff from Chernobyl is.

Eating shellfish from the Fukushima area...bad idea.
Eating dungeness crabs from Oregon...I'm on it.
edit on 8/30/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Please tell me Mr Phage, when will this stuff stop leaking and have a chance to settle on the bottom.
How will they stop it dispersing and give it a chance to settle.
Radiation emits, its not in a Forrest, its in a tidal environment, subject to currents that are always on the move.
Its an open bleeding wound that moves and will not stop moving.
Your statement reads that this wound will be rectified in time.
My question is how will it be stopped, how will it be rectified?
Superman?

Chernobyl was contained, yet this hasnt been and there are no visible options to do so, what do you see that others cant.

Reading your post you infer that the contamination will be contained, my question is how?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Oh
and that is a sea fog, the bloody water is hot, its not boiling but it is hot enough to cause steam and thats the fog you see.
Radiation heats stuff up, hence a night vision cam.
Its warm water emitting steam.
Its radioactive, its why they use nuclear energy to run turbines.
One great big dirty bomb ready to blow.

Stop reading others posts and research nuclear energy and the problems that are caused if its not COOLED properly.

Seriously are you people that gullible you believe everything, engage brain, this is a serious catastrophe that could end all life in the Pacific.

Japan and the rest of the world cant stop it, they cant.
One more quake, one more wave and it ....well, research what happens, use your own brain, dont default to someone else

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by stormcell

Originally posted by 1Learner
Aren't radioactive particles supposed to fizz away, or become harmless after sometime?
Wouldn't we be seeing a disturbance in the food chain if fishes start to get boiled or affected by this event?

I doubt the news would risk losing credibility when called out by folks (like those here who are promoting this idea) who knew the "conspiracy" beforehand.

Yes, it's called the half-life. It's the amount of time taken for the radiation levels to fall by a half. But the half-life for some of these elements from Fukushima is 30 years.

The fascinating thing is that the half-life gets shorter the further along the periodic table they are:
www.periodictable.com...

Yeah, half life gets shorter fast but, when is this thing going to stop emitting its 100% potential.
Half life hasnt even been considered as we are seeing another twenty thousand years of leakage at its full potential.
Lets consider half life when the issue is contained,pie in the sky dreaming at this point

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by letseeit7
reply to post by benrl

I am a nuke worker for the navy , so I know a little bit about this stuff . So that's why I throw out the questions on these post . I have traveled there a couple of times , right after the quake . Everyone had to go get a full body scan when returning home and everyone was clean . Levels did rise on the west coast initially but have returned to normal background levels . You get some radon in the mornings but that is normal . I am not here to argue with you all I just think there is too much speculation from the general public . Cheers !

A little food for thought......................................

This graphic shows the gradual contamination of the Pacific Ocean due to leaks of radioactive water from the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan.
The simulation, which was run by a German marine research institute, shows the ENTIRE Pacific waters being polluted by radioactive water in just six years.
Although the results failed to grab attention when first released last year, experts now fear that the hypothesis may become a scary reality, after the Japanese government recently admitted that some 3-hundred tons of radioactive water have leaked into the ocean everyday.
Mitsuhei Murata, a former Japanese ambassador to Switzerland criticized the Japanese government and the operator of the crippled nuclear plant, Tokyo Electric Power Corporation for its handling of the situation.

"TEPCO recently admitted to leaks of radioactive water. The amount is much greater than what the simulation had taken into account."

www.arirang.co.kr...

environmentalresearchweb.org...
edit on 31-8-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I wonder if the radiation spreads to the Pacific, how would it effect the Chinese, the 2 Koreas, and other Pacific Asian nations? I'm pretty sure the geopolitical effects will be enormous

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

A little food for thought

The total peak radioactivity levels would then be about twice the pre-Fukushima values. “While this may sound alarming, these levels are still lower than those permitted for drinking water,” said Böning.

environmentalresearchweb.org...

The current leak (some of which is likely to end up in the ocean) has contamination levels far below (about 1%) that of the material which was initially released (and used in the model).

edit on 8/31/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeta Reticulan

[

see all those tanks?

Each is a hastily constructed holding tank of 1000 tons radioactive waste, each could be leaking, and the plant generates 400 tons a day.

So they constantly have to build these tanks, the situation is untenable.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Really the issue of whether or not the sea is truly boiling doesn't seem like the most important thing here. With 400-1000 tons (ok that is 480,000 to 1,200,000 pounds) of new added toxic waste per day, it's a freakin miracle we don't just see some kind of green-sky-column-of-doom from there at this point, or some other graphic-novel style drama. If a mislabeled picture of probably-not-boiling water is what it took to get the attention of the masses, which ought to care a lot more about this for the sake of the whole planet, then it worked out for the best.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
When I was a kid, they used to scare us by saying that one little gram of plutonium was enough to kill the entire planet.

Now, apparently no amount is lethal and a little bit is actually good for you, if you believe Ann Coulter.

I think this is a planetary ELE, it's just gonna take a while.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by letseeit7

I am calling BS as well and I live here in Japan. It we really had any part of the ocean coast line boiling it would quickly effect everything here in Japan and everyone would be aware of it. There is no way in hell the J-media could not report on it.

Regardless though, the situation here is getting worse by the day. The radioactive water leak has been upgraded to a level 3, although we all know it has been that bad for a while.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedomwv
reply to post by letseeit7

I am calling BS as well and I live here in Japan. It we really had any part of the ocean coast line boiling it would quickly effect everything here in Japan and everyone would be aware of it. There is no way in hell the J-media could not report on it.

Regardless though, the situation here is getting worse by the day. The radioactive water leak has been upgraded to a level 3, although we all know it has been that bad for a while.

August 9, 2013 - Understanding Why Busby Downplays Fukushima Risks to Americans - In an oped at RT.com, Chris Busby made some comparisons between global fallout and the worst case scenario at Fukushima regarding groundwater leakage (i.e., all reactor core fuel eventually enters the ocean). Although Busby doesn't elucidate, he may be contrasting the public health impacts from the expected annual intake of radionuclides from eating contaminated wild seafood (from the Pacific) in the 2010s with the annual whole diet-related radionuclide intake for people in the mid-latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere during the 1960s. One needs to really investigate the truth about ocean contamination dilution to get to this answer. In 1954, Bravo let loose millions of curies of radiation into the Pacific. Bravo's impact: highly contaminated fish catches all over the Western Pacific. Dilution didn't happen fast enough. Note that Bravo released just 1/5 of the strontium-90 that could be released in the worst case groundwater discharge scenario at Fukushima. Read about why Pacific seafood should be AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS, which is probably something Busby should have added.

Addendum - Estimates vary on the Fukushima Daiichi reactors 1-3 inventory of strontium-90, but it ranges from 171 to 200 thousand trillion (quadrillion) becquerels. (see footnote 11) This is the same as roughly 5 million Curies, or about 25% of the strontium-90 created during the global fallout period, or the frenzy of atmospheric fallout generated mainly during the 1960s and which Busby blames (as do I) as the cause of the global cancer epidemic. (During global fallout, 19 to 22 million curies of strontium-90 were generated from atmospheric nuclear detonations.) (source).

nuclearcrimes.org...

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
oh read the full scoop on natural news

i'll pass..

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Originally posted by Zeta Reticulan

[

see all those tanks?

Each is a hastily constructed holding tank of 1000 tons radioactive waste, each could be leaking, and the plant generates 400 tons a day.

So they constantly have to build these tanks, the situation is untenable.

That's my biggest problem with nuclear plants. There never seems to be any emergency protocols. Every time there is an accident, the SOP is to lie to the public and pour thousand of tons of water on it, Unless you are Russia then you evacuate everyone, relocate them and pour 1000 tons of concrete on it. I prefer Russia's way. Funny that I cool my house without Water, eh?

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
When I was a kid, they used to scare us by saying that one little gram of plutonium was enough to kill the entire planet.

That's a beautiful example of a conditional truth...Statement "A" is true if Condition "B" is met.

It's true that one gram of plutonium could kill most of the human beings on Earth. Here's the 'condition B' that goes with that 'statement A': "IF it was evenly divided up into nanogram-sized individual servings and injected into people's bodies until the supply was exhausted, and IF the injected persons didn't die of something else before long-duration radiation exposure or cancer killed them."

Outside that kind of absurd scenario, plutonium is most assuredly dangerous (it is, after all, a heavy metal *and* radioactive, and either attribute should inspire a certain amount of care in handling!), but it's not that much worse than any other heavy metal.

Now, apparently no amount is lethal and a little bit is actually good for you, if you believe Ann Coulter.

Regardless of the politics of the person in question, or whether or not you agree with said politics, getting one's medical or physics-related information from a television personality is generally a very bad idea...they're paid to entertain and generate headlines, not to be accurate sources for technical information.

I think this is a planetary ELE, it's just gonna take a while.

I think you might want to do a bit more research before jumping to that conclusion. The actual science (as opposed to internet sensationalism) seems to indicate that while this is a gigantic mess, it's nowhere near an 'extinction level event'. It's hard to keep the sheer size and volume of the Pacific in mind...400-1,000 tons of contaminated water is a lot on a human scale, but it's not that much compared to the Pacific as a whole. Also remember that what's leaking out is also decaying down, and while the radiological half-life is around 30 years, the biological half-life for the most common isotopes in the leak is 50-90 *days*.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
We have a photo but has anyone actually gone down to the ocean with a thermometer?

Do we know that is water vapor in the picture? I have been trying to confirm that steam from boiling water is in the photo but haven't found confirmation.

Edit:

enenews.com...

Japanese journalist Mari Takenouchi commented on the NHK screenshot in a recent tweet: “NO, the sea is NOT boiling. I cannot identify the source, but the foggy thing is steam coming from somewhere.”

edit on 1-9-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

That is fog....... and I doubt the sea is boiling....

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I just watched the NHK world news in English and the report from Fukushima dealt with extremely high radiation levels at one of the storage tanks (In excess of 1200 milliseiverts per hour. Enough to kill a person in four hours). No report of boiling sea water and no conclusions as to whether water leaking from storage tanks had reached the ocean.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Biggest piece of Disinformation since a long Time!

Tokyo: 0.09 Microsievert/ Hour at the ground

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join