It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Christianity was a Hoax .....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If Christianity was a Hoax, and proven so ...would you

A. Turn from it towards another set of beliefs unrelated ?I.E Buddist , Hindu, ETC

B.Become Atheist ..

C.Turn to Related Beliefs I.E Islam , Judaism , ..

D.New Age ...

E.Science ..Evolution

F.Science..Creationist

G.Remain a Christian against all evidence..

And why ..

Just putting it out there , let me know if i forgot something , should be an interesting debate

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by StaceyWilson

should be an interesting debate

Well Yeah, you made a thread about a specific religion and included the word 'hoax'. There just might be some debate.
What made you decide to pick that religion over any other?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

If Christianity was a hoax in what regard? There are many levels of Christianity. Perhaps Jesus didn't exist. Does that make the core teachings less valuable. No.

Perhaps Jesus wasn't really born of a virgin. Does that make his teachings less profound? No

Maybe he survived the crucifixion, and went to India, the Americas or even France, does make his life invalid? Nope.

Perhaps the biblical character of Jesus wasn't the Christ spirit in total. Does that mean that the earth doesn't have a guardian spirit, or an oversoul representing the essence of mankind to the "Elohim"? Nope.

90% of Christianity is valid without extreme mythology and apologetics, in my opinion. It would just manifest itself as more Taoist or Buddhist like, in my opinion.

edit on 30-8-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
"If" - but it hasn't been proven to be a hoax, and cannot be so proven. Anyway, I would choose option "G" for I walk by faith and not by sight.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Good points all.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

should be an interesting debate

Well Yeah, you made a thread about a specific religion and included the word 'hoax'. There just might be some debate.
What made you decide to pick that religion over any other?

Not to offend , but to see peoples points of view , for there is a mass turning away from Christianity and so this just to get a gauge what people think ..

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

there is a mass turning away from Christianity

Because of a hoax?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword

If Christianity was a hoax in what regard? There are many levels of Christianity. Perhaps Jesus didn't exist. Does that make the core teachings less valuable. No.

Perhaps Jesus wasn't really born of a virgin. Does that make his teachings less profound? No

Maybe he survived the crucifixion, and went to India, the Americas or even France, does make his life invalid? Nope.

Perhaps the biblical character of Jesus wasn't the Christ spirit in total. Does that mean that the earth doesn't have a guardian spirit, or an oversoul representing the essence of mankind to the "Elohim"? Nope.

90% of Christianity is valid without extreme mythology and apologetics, in my opinion. It would just manifest itself as more Taoist or Buddhist like, in my opinion.

edit on 30-8-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

So when one interprets a whole religion to suit ones favourite pieces of feel good ,is that not bastardization of someones religion , because Jews think Christianity is actually what you said , taking various bits ,and turning it unto their own private nirvana ...So you would lean towards Taoist or Buddist ?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I have seen results from following Christ example,

Treat others like you wanted to be treated, don't rely on money and worldly goods to make you happy, give back to your fellow man as if all where your brother, Do not pay back evil with evil but with kindness.

Yea if by some definitive way it was proven all false, Id probably continue on following the examples set by Christ as I have seen the ways it can enrich my life.

Having once been Atheist than Agnostic, My christian faith is what works for me.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Because of Catholic Priests ...was happening in Europe ..um actually Worldwide..but what would you do if you found out your chosen belief was false ? Pick a letter..
and why..

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Hey thats great, sounds really cool, because of what you have witnessed first hand , you have..shall i say ,,Faith

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Okay ,Nice , by faith and not sight , and you have had experiences of Faith, ? Tell me..

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

The worst of the effects of Christianity exist because of people placing a supernatural and divine authority behind every single word in the bible instead of just following their messiah's basic message.

If it were admitted by church leaders that the "word" is not infallible and has, in fact, been borrowed from far older religions, I think it would do the whole world some good. Keep in mind that I'm talking the whole of Abrahamic faiths, all together. This would mean Muslims and Jews would have to finally see that their fighting for nothing and that would leave the war profiteers without support. It would mean that all of the justifications that are used to treat each other unequally and like garbage will be thrown out.

All that will remain is the basic message and the whole group of religions would be free to join society in a meaningful and altruistic fashion again.

Ultimately, the only way to save Christianity is to prove that it is not infallible nor unique.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
So if evidence to the debunk your religion would have no bearing on your Christian beliefs of Faith , because of experience in Christianity ,and what Jesus has done for you in your life , will therefore keep you in a steadfast belief..things like healing , and visions , and so forth,

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

The worst of the effects of Christianity exist because of people placing a supernatural and divine authority behind every single word in the bible instead of just following their messiah's basic message.

If it were admitted by church leaders that the "word" is not infallible and has, in fact, been borrowed from far older religions, I think it would do the whole world some good. Keep in mind that I'm talking the whole of Abrahamic faiths, all together. This would mean Muslims and Jews would have to finally see that their fighting for nothing and that would leave the war profiteers without support. It would mean that all of the justifications that are used to treat each other unequally and like garbage will be thrown out.

All that will remain is the basic message and the whole group of religions would be free to join society in a meaningful and altruistic fashion again.

Ultimately, the only way to save Christianity is to prove that it is not infallible nor unique.

Oh please all that would happen is we would find new reasons to kill, Religions the easy excuse for human nature.

We are a tribal race and do not like whats different than our tribe, religion plays very little in that part of history other than a convenient excuse for our naturally bad behavior.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Well said , their has been a shift from their messiahs basic message indeed , People act far different to their messiahs message these days..whether they know it or not is debatable

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Oh please all that would happen is we would find new reasons to kill, Religions the easy excuse for human nature.

We are a tribal race and do not like whats different than our tribe, religion plays very little in that part of history other than a convenient excuse for our naturally bad behavior.

I used to think that and sometimes still do. It's half right, in my eyes. Yes, there will always be those who want to kill others for profit and power but how do they get support? They get it by convincing people that they represent a higher power, a supernatural purpose that is divine. Money and promises can only buy so much devotion and the pay back has to be within this lifetime. Not so with religion.

No amount of money would create a martyr. The elements in the world who would still aim for war would not have the support they have now.

Bad religion is bad religion. Take the bad out of it or at least give people the option to dismiss it and it's no longer bad religion and no longer holding sway over zealots.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

No amount of money would create a martyr. The elements in the world who would still aim for war would not have the support they have now.

Bad religion is bad religion. Take the bad out of it or at least give people the option to dismiss it and it's no longer bad religion and no longer holding sway over zealots.

Let me pose a question, do you not think that an invading army, who is invading for economic purposes against a technologically inferior nation.

That they would not in desperation sacrifice themselves for home and Country? thats a bit naive, id imagine the world would be more like this.

Atheist-war

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

It's creepy that "G" is an option. If it were anything else but a reality. We would see how delusional and crazy it is.

No matter what scientists prove the earth is round it seems like there will always be some who believe it to be flat anyway (every heard of : The Flat Earth Society). So, it's not surprising to see the same from religious people about their religion being proven false.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Let me pose a question, do you not think that an invading army, who is invading for economic purposes against a technologically inferior nation.

That they would not in desperation sacrifice themselves for home and Country? thats a bit naive, id imagine the world would be more like this.

Atheist-war

We are not talking about defending your home with your life. We are talking about men boarding planes in the name of Allah and blowing people up. We are talking about men wiping out an entire nation of "godless natives" in the name of Christ. In fact, the Manifest Destiny was described as "A divine destiny under God's direction to accomplish this wonderful task." Sick, I know.

Those are the things you wouldn't see anymore. At the very least, they would not have the support they do now. You would still have power struggles, you would still have war profiteers but the public support would not be there. I think that, in this day and age, a loss of strict dogma from all religions would drastically cut down and almost eliminate war.

Please don't think I am attacking religion. It is just a tool and has been used for good but, just like any tool, it can be modified to be a weapon. Proving the infallibility of the Abrahamic religions would "de-weaponize" religion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join