It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why aren't there that many active members on ATS? Fear.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
ATS is pretty big, in fact I don't know any other conspiracy website that is as big as ATS. When you talk to someone about conspiracies, they will know about ATS. At any given time, there's about 300 members browsing the forums. But for such a big website, you could imagine these numbers would be much higher right?

Well, perhaps it's the time of day that I come to ATS, but another key factor I believe is fear. The fear on visiting, registering and posting on ATS. I remember how I would -sometimes- come to ATS but avoid it because I was afraid that my activities were logged. Then I got more comfortable with the idea and started to lurk for about 7 or so years. Eventually I muttered up my courage and registered. I decided to create a completely different e-mail account specifically to register with ATS, and created a different persona at first because I was paranoid.

Months later, I stopped coming because my life got very busy but I came back and decided to just not care about an alt persona and not let paranoia control me. So what if visiting ATS potentially gets logged and flags me? I live in America where freedom and liberty should exist. I should be able to visit a conspiracy theory website without any worries right?

Anyway, this sounds pretty crazy I'm sure but going to a website called "above top secret" at one time sent chills down my spine like the government was going to get me if I participated in it. I'm sure that there are many others that have felt this way and I think that we should just be strong and post what we want without worrying about what the feds might think. Anyways, I thought I'd just say all of this because I dunno if I'm alone with this and it would be great to hear if others have ever felt that way before.

ATS is amazing so don't let big brother take it away from you =)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
My friend you should not worry about coming on here.

We cause no harm and barely scratch the surface! I do understand what your fear is though.

I think the only issues we may ever have is if we applied for jobs at Mi6 or the CIA etc haha

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
ATS has higher lurker population than active members. Some just want the information discussed here, without all the strings attached like possible trouble for government.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
No Fear
I personally find it much more revealing to "listen, Watch, Read"
I learn nothing from my own diatribes. But I can learn much about the world
though others thoughts and ideas. Though at times I must confess that
I have had my feathers ruffled by the foolishness of some who post, and have
wanted to join in the jungle of fun, I prefer to Listen...Read, and learn.

I have a motto: "Be Still:.....and Know"

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It took me forever to get my better half on here. She was definitely paranoid about it. But now she is, and has made some posts. The mods I'm sure, already know who she is, by looking at my ip, but I won't say who she is, because I'd rather she build her own reputation, and not have it tainted by mine.

If you're into researching conspiracies, anyway. Then building a profile of what you have read across the internet is easy enough. So being here at ATS isn't going to make much of a difference.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

I would assume that part of the reason could be due to the fact that many people have neither the time nor the desire to sort out the vast amounts of rubbish in order to find the bits of true significance.

Originally posted by Em2013

......for such a big website, you could imagine these numbers would be much higher right?

Well, perhaps it's the time of day that I come to ATS,
The time of day may matter somewhat, but I doubt it makes much of a difference. After all, deep down here in the cold dark basement, I can't tell the difference between night and day anyways.
lol

One thing to consider is that most people probably just don't stay logged in for long periods at a time, but probably just log in randomly at different times throughout the day. Often, it may even be only for a minute or 2.

About halfway down the Forums page, on the right side, it shows various stats. Still not very high numbers, but it possibly shows it more accurately when also considering↓.

Currently:
  • 3,119 guests visiting right now.
  • 366 members logged in right now
  • 3,791 members visited in the past 24 hours

• posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:44 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Em2013

ATS has a lot of mentally ill people come here to register. I think the Gabby Giffords shooter was a member here, as an example.

As well, internet connection comes/goes.

Not to mention just plain death. Rarely are we alerted to one of our ranks passing.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:49 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Em2013

The fear on visiting, registering and posting on ATS. I remember how I would -sometimes- come to ATS but avoid it because I was afraid that my activities were logged.

Look Uncle Sam, take a good look.
    This is how your citizens are becoming paranoid.
    Afraid of the big brother thats supposed to protect them.
    Shame on you Uncle Sam, shame on you

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:44 PM
    link   
    Some of your replies made me chuckle a good one

I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one that has been paranoid to join and what-not, but at the same time it disgusts me to know that it's a real thing and it's a problem. It's not an individual problem, it's a government striking fear into its citizens problem. At this point truth is treason, so to post the truth may be considered treason by whoever is watching.

However, I don't think that they care so much about what goes on on ATS since these boards are very well moderated and tame. If it weren't for the genuine moderators keeping the peace, I wouldn't have registered. They make sure that threads don't escalate too much and that any threads involving something remotely illegal gets removed and because of that, I can feel that this board is seen in their perspective "a board about crazy people thinking that area 51 is full of aliens".

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:45 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Em2013

If it makes you feel any better. I doubt the government cares about anyone on here. The government already knows that people have been saying "aliens exist" for years now, it is nothing new to them, and they already know that everyone is talking about the "illuminati". Sometimes rap artists even mention the name freely - and on the radio (Rihanna - Diamons ft Jay Z). I don't think they care and I think they are focused on more important things. Everybody on here is considered "crazy" or "boring" by normal people anyway, so everything is ok.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:10 PM
    link   
    Im starting to lose faith in this place. There are a lot of people here who have no compassion for others. I think we should be a community, but many people dont act that way. They bash people, just to bash.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:14 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Tylerdurden1
    Im starting to lose faith in this place. There are a lot of people here who have no compassion for others. I think we should be a community, but many people dont act that way. They bash people, just to bash.

My advice:

This is the internet. People are going to be rude. Such is life.

As it regards ATS, you shouldn't be so disappointed. You created your own expectation (that this is a "community") that was not based in reality. The reality is, this is a large forum full of folks of all manner of outlooks on life (and mental health).

You should have come here with no expectations at all. Then you would have been more satisfied with what you found.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:23 PM
    link   
    So we are supposed to sit by as the trolls take over. Thats BS. Those people are wrecking ATS and nobody seams to care. I dont even know why I do. I guess if I want to be apart of something I just want it to be great, I guess Im setting the bar too high. Oh well.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:26 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Tylerdurden1

Trolls aren't taking over. If you think its bad now, you shoulda been here for either of the last 2 elections.

The sky isn't falling. If it sucks today, it has always sucked. Because it hasn't changed.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:36 PM
    link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Trolls aren't taking over. If you think its bad now, you shoulda been here for either of the last 2 elections.

The sky isn't falling. If it sucks today, it has always sucked. Because it hasn't changed.

That just sucks in general
    Im going to try to stay postive

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:54 PM
    link   

"Sucking less" is not so bad. It todays world, it might be the best you can hope for.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 08:29 PM
    link   
    What the heck are you talking bout boy

new topics

top topics

join